It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:20 am 
Captain Clutch

Yeah, beat 3 other teams. You forget, Boston is in our "conference" so don't hold your breath that we'll be seeing much past the 2nd round anytime soon.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

burner087
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:22 am 
Brawler

They wanted to retain rivalries. Moving the NYR away from Philly for example, I guess would not make them happy. That is my guess.

So retaining some rivalries.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:13 am 
PP Quarterback

Splitting up the SE is the best thing they could have done.

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:45 am 
Penalty Killer

Snowbirds in Florida. Think about it. They go to a few games to watch "their" team play, which boosts the coffers of the Florida team, which allows said team to improve their roster, which perhaps keeps the Snowbirds coming back more often... There's money that could be made here for the struggling Florida teams. Don't know if it offsets their travel expenses though.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:14 am 
PP Quarterback

Rivalries are great but I think it'll get old to have the same playoff series year after year in the conferences.
Philly - Pittsburgh, NY- Philly, Pittsburgh - NY and so on. It is great to have great rivalries but I wanna see different matchups from time to time.

Also, it excludes the possibility to have two rivals play a series for the stanley cup final. All the rivals will play each other in the conference playoff. I don't like it.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:37 pm 
Star Sniper

My left brained personality really hates FL and TB in Buffalo's conference, but Nuthatch hit the nail on the head. The Florida hockey fans will pay more to see their old northern team, so it's about ticket revenue. I can get over it I guess.

I'd rather see the same set up, but as divisions under two conferences. I'm not sure why the NHL would want the possibility of having teams from random conferences battling it out in the final-four stage. Why not just have the same two "division" winners play for the conference title, and then the two conference champs play for the Cup?

The one good thing is something I've mentioned several times...home-and-home series. For teams within the east, they can bang out their back-to-backs this way without the unfair advantage of one team being rested. Same goes for the teams in the west. When east and west teams play each other, there might have to be an off day for travel, but it's a very fair way to get those games in.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:44 pm 
Star Sniper

My left brained personality really hates FL and TB in Buffalo's conference, but Nuthatch hit the nail on the head. The Florida hockey fans will pay more to see their old northern team, so it's about ticket revenue. I can get over it I guess.

I'd rather see the same set up, but as divisions under two conferences. I'm not sure why the NHL would want the possibility of having teams from random conferences battling it out in the final-four stage. Why not just have the same two "division" winners play for the conference title, and then the two conference champs play for the Cup? Or as others have posted, keep the divisions under the new plan, but have a conference based playoff format.

The one good thing is something I've mentioned several times...home-and-home series. For teams within the east, they can bang out their back-to-backs this way without the unfair advantage of one team being rested. Same goes for the teams in the west. When east and west teams play each other, there might have to be an off day for travel, but it's a very fair way to get those games in.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:50 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I really like this. The possibility of both of the best teams coming from the east or west is exactly the way it should be.

ksquier89
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:06 pm 
PP Quarterback

NYIntensity wrote:
I really like this. The possibility of both of the best teams coming from the east or west is exactly the way it should be.

I don't mind this move at all. The snow bird thing makes sense. I have wanted to play in the SE for years lol. Just sucks it came at a time where some teams are pulling their shit together.

VanekKing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:54 pm 
Penalty Killer

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
This tells us that either the league is contracting or expanding soon.

Not definitely.. Look at the MLB.. One conference has 16 and the other has 14.. It definitely makes a better sitution for ther league if it wanted to expand or contract..

KILL OTTAWA

DS37
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:36 pm 
Two-Way Center

VanekKing wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

Not definitely.. Look at the MLB.. One conference has 16 and the other has 14.. It definitely makes a better sitution for ther league if it wanted to expand or contract..

Or move one team. From the West to the East. (The Coyotes)

Québec!

SteveOnWeck
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:03 pm 
Rink Rat

sabretoothpick wrote:
Rivalries are great but I think it'll get old to have the same playoff series year after year in the conferences.
Philly - Pittsburgh, NY- Philly, Pittsburgh - NY and so on. It is great to have great rivalries but I wanna see different matchups from time to time.

Also, it excludes the possibility to have two rivals play a series for the stanley cup final. All the rivals will play each other in the conference playoff. I don't like it.

^this

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:10 pm 
PP Quarterback

VanekKing wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

Actually, the MLB finally fixed that. The Astros are moving over to the AL.

@TJLuckman550

union jack
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:58 am 
Late-Round Gem

patkane88 wrote:
shedoesntgetit wrote:
patkane88 wrote:
Also they will have to do this over again once Phoenix moves next year.

not necessarily, when phoenix moves to quebec they could easily be plugged into the atlantic. then the northwest is at 7, and atlantic becomes an 8 team conference. it'd actually be a real easy fix.

also, then you have a canadian team in every conference. not too bad.

Quebec doesn't have an arena that is up to NHL standards.

Quebec City is currently in the process of building an NHL compatible arena, but it won't be finished until the Fall of 2015.

Montalo
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:15 am 
PP Quarterback

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
VanekKing wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

Actually, the MLB finally fixed that. The Astros are moving over to the AL.

ecept, with the way things were set up, they needed to have uneven leagues

leagues needed to have an even number of teams so that each team could play every day, because of the lack of interleague play(mostly)

jordano
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:21 am 
Two-Way Center

SteveOnWeck wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:

^this

Yeah, but depending on the format the league adopts for the final four we could see two eastern teams play for the cup. Could be a better situation than an east vs west matchup.

#1 Hockey Nation.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:06 pm 
Captain Dynasty

patkane88 wrote:
I hate the idea of divisional playoffs. What happens when your division, like the atlantic, has a team that has 98 points miss the playoffs and a team in the northeast with 80 points make it??

then the 98 point team has some work to do in the off season.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:08 pm 
Captain Dynasty

VanekKing wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

not anymore. the astros are moving to the AL. also, they did it for interleague play. MLB insisted it wouldnt only work with those number of teams. dont ask me how.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:12 pm 
Captain Dynasty

darren eliot now works for fox sports detroit and does the red wings post game show. last night after the game, they were talking about the realignment. they began to talk about phoenix. and keating asked eliot "next year, will the coyotes be in phoenix?" and eliot gave the most straight forward answer ive ever seen. it was just a flat out "NO. NO. NO." with his eyes closed and him shaking his head.

PHX is moving east, i just feel it.

union jack
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:48 pm 
Late-Round Gem

Interesting read from a few months ago on the prospect of Kansas City getting a team:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... hl-wp11401

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next