It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Jammerz04
 Post subject: Playoffs????
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:14 am 
Power Forward

I was just wondering if there has ever been an NHL playoff season where there wasn't a single series sweep?

Questions been bugging me for awhile... Thanks in advance...

Mr. Natural
 Post subject: Re: Playoffs????
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:10 pm 
7th Defenseman

Since 1987, when the NHL went to seven game series, there have been two seasons without a sweep: 1991 and 2002.

Back when there were only six teams I imagine it wasn't that uncommon, but I haven't checked.

Here is a trivia question for you. As far as I know, there has only been one season in which the #1 seeds from both conferences were swept in the first round (paving the way for the #3 seeds in both conferences to meet in the Cup final).

Any idea when and what teams?

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:17 pm 
Power Forward

Mr. Natural wrote:
Since 1987, when the NHL went to seven game series, there have been two seasons without a sweep: 1991 and 2002.

Back when there were only six teams I imagine it wasn't that uncommon, but I haven't checked.

Here is a trivia question for you. As far as I know, there has only been one season in which the #1 seeds from both conferences were swept in the first round (paving the way for the #3 seeds in both conferences to meet in the Cup final).

Any idea when and what teams?

since your posting on a Sabres board I'm guessing the Sabres were one of those teams?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:32 pm 
Captain Dynasty

im guessing its in the 80s.

Mr. Natural
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:22 pm 
7th Defenseman

My mistake. It was 1993 and it was actually #1 division, not conference, seeds.

The #1 seed in the Norris, Chicago (which did have the most points in the Western Conference, so would have been a true #1), was swept by the #4 St. Louis Blues (which would have been a true #8 by points) and the #1 seed in the Adams division, Boston (which would have been a true #2 by points in the Eastern Conference, behind the Pens), was swept by the #4 seed Sabres (which also would have been a true #8).

Brain fart.

I would like to know, though, if there has ever been a playoff series in which every game in the series went to overtime, or if not, what is the record for the most overtime games in a series? I have no idea.

(edit)
Never mind. Upon further review Mr. Internet found me the answer. In 1951 the Leafs beat the Canadiens to win the Stanley Cup 4-1, with all five games going into OT. There have been five other playoff series (none in the finals) that went to OT for four games, none involving every game in the series.