It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

union jack
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:06 am 
Late-Round Gem

Here's the Shanahan video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdvwgLMhecY

I don't understand how this warrants an 8 game suspension. It must be because of Sutton's prior history, which I think is bullshit to take into account. Who cares about what he did in the past, you have to individualize each incident. For example, this one was almost like, "Well we suspended him 5 games earlier this year, might as well up the ante a bit on this one." I hate that kind of reasoning. A suspension should be based SOLELY on the particular play being called into question, it should not matter whatsoever what your track record is.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:43 am 
PP Quarterback

union jack wrote:
It must be because of Sutton's prior history, which I think is bullshit to take into account. Who cares about what he did in the past, you have to individualize each incident. For example, this one was almost like, "Well we suspended him 5 games earlier this year, might as well up the ante a bit on this one." I hate that kind of reasoning. A suspension should be based SOLELY on the particular play being called into question, it should not matter whatsoever what your track record is.

if you individualize each incident you're taking the chance assholes like this just take their 2-3 game suspension time after time. you ABSOLUTELY have to up the ante for each suspension in similar incidents.

most of sutton's suspensions are for violent, illegal hits. if he once got suspended for spearing or something, and then suspended for making contact with the head on a hit, yes, those are fairly mutually exclusive, though one could easily argue that they are both illegal and dirty. however, most people making that argument would also agree that is not only probable, but likely, that making contact with the head on a bodycheck CAN be accidental.

what IS bullshit, however, is that shanahan takes into account injuries to the player receiving the hit. injury or not, the suspension should be the same. in my opinion, however, from the trading deadline on, should the offending player cause an injury with a hit that shows any malice or legitimate intent (not arguable intent- think what Leino got suspended for the other day) the offending player should sit all games where the hit player is injured plus their suspension.

then, of course, if you have a Vinny Lecav hit a, say, Corey Tropp, you could say that Tropp was injured for longer than he was. But I think a mediation doctor could take care of that issue fairly easily.