It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

sabresindc
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:20 pm 
Captain Clutch

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/columbus-gm-doughty-goal-either-deliberate-stopping-clock-163522195.html
The official time clock stopped for a full second, @ 1.8 seconds left, allowing for LA to score with .04 seconds. :think:

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:38 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Thats messed up

Wozniak
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:02 am 
Franchise Defenseman

thats bad.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:41 am 
Power Forward

Fixed game maybe? mmm..... interesting.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:58 pm 
Star Sniper

Kings GM Dean Lombardi in an email: “Those clocks are sophisticated instruments that calculate time by measuring electrical charges called coulombs. Given the rapidity and volume of electrons that move through the measuring device the calibrator must adjust at certain points which was the delay you see – the delay is just recalibrating for the clock moving too quickly during the 10 – 10ths of a second before the delay – this insures that the actual playing time during a period is exactly 20 minutes – that is not an opinion – that is science.”

Wozniak
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:12 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

while that sounds like a pile of shit, can anyone confirm or deny the possibility?

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

hockeyplaya00
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:13 pm 
Penalty Killer

Hes right, I see it happen all the time when theres less than a minute left, they just had the pleasure of it happening as they scored

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:24 pm 
Page Side

I tend to believe it. I've seen those clocks do that, too.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:39 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Foiled by science!

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:44 pm 
MegaDouche

NO, this is the timekeepers fault. They overreacted to trying to stop the clock for a whistle when they saw the save. I don't think it's coincidental at all. The clock should have never stopped.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:46 pm 
PP Quarterback

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Kings GM Dean Lombardi in an email: “Those clocks are sophisticated instruments that calculate time by measuring electrical charges called coulombs. Given the rapidity and volume of electrons that move through the measuring device the calibrator must adjust at certain points which was the delay you see – the delay is just recalibrating for the clock moving too quickly during the 10 – 10ths of a second before the delay – this insures that the actual playing time during a period is exactly 20 minutes – that is not an opinion – that is science.”

the science is correct.

daz28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:52 pm 
Star Sniper

I've owned a couple wrist watches and stopwatches, and they never did that. Maybe they weren't as "sophisticated instruments" as the NHL uses, but kept just as good of time. That's a BS and lame excuse. "The clock is so good, it's inaccurate". ROFLMAO!

Go NHL!(if this league wasn't such as joke, I'd probably get mad. I now enjoy the comedy)

PatGreen
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:48 am 
PP Quarterback

that's not what he said. a lot of clock DO do that. do your wristwatches display tenths and hundredths of a second? not to mention your stopwatch does do that. record it. it's a little jumpy. the lcd can't even refresh fast enough to actually show the time, so it "thinks ahead" and displays the time it WILL be when it can catch up.

daz28
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:04 am 
Star Sniper

In all my life I've never owned a watch or stopwatch that has done that. EVAR, and yes, they do display tenths of a second, ffs, this isn't 1910. If the NHL doesn't have clocks that can rival the Timex Iron man, then they need to go to a yard sale, and get one for $2. I GUARANTEE it will never spend a whole second, "catching up". LOL

This isn't about the clock anyways, it's about maintaining CREDIBILITY. Something the NHL struggles with. You shouldn't have to explain away something like that. "People don't understand clocks, that's all". Fucking ridiculous. Bridge for sale, please contact NHL sales dept. Next thing they'll tell ya is that your eyes weren't fast enough to catch the goal the Wings or Pens scored in the finals to beat the less appealing club.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:35 am 
Star Sniper

The science behind the clocks may very well be that way. I've noticed clocks at games I've been to doing the very same thing at various points of the game, just not at the end during a GW goal. The NHL might want to have clocks that somehow adjust between start and stops though, because the image just doesn't work when things like that goal happen at the end. Just imagine if that was a deciding playoff game..."no goal" part two.

OTOH, fans should realize that no matter how accurate clocks are, regardless of their quirks, humans control them. Unless the clock guy has olympic skill level reflexes, which I doubt based on the 50-60 year old men I see working them, no game duration is ever going to be totally accurate. With 40+ stoppages in play during a game it's basically impossible.