It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

lamaisonbleu
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:59 pm 
Late-Round Gem

Hope the NHL players have saved their money. The Labor Agreement is up this year and that famous 'horses petuti' Donald Fehr is at the player's helm. My prediction is that he will bring about another shutdown. You all got a preliminary look at his disposition when he axed the NHL's plan to put the Jets in the West and transfer a West team to the East. There were other features in the NHL's plan which several teams in the West liked, in that it cut down on their travel. I have no idea why the Players Association got this guy. He doesn't have their interests at heart and will sell them down the river for his own aggrandizement.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:13 pm 
Captain Dynasty

im almost sure that the NHL will shut down for some time.

daz28
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:29 am 
Star Sniper

If they do that, they're stupid. Us northern buzzards will find ways to occupy their time in the igloo, and that won't be good long term. It's not like we're going to tie a yellow ribbon round the old FNC, ffs. The stupid drama, bad officiating, and Cindy(type) loving barely has me interested anymore when neither the Sabres or Ducks are in. When my teams are in, totally different story.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:17 pm 
Superstar Goalie

If they didn't learn anything from the last lockout and the same thing happens, it will be a crushing blow to everything NHL related. It has pretty much taken since the last time the season was called off until now to fully recover and regain the interest and support of the fans. I don't think I've seen the game this strong and stable in years and if they don't take time to realize what it is that they are at risk of losing between now and the end of the CBA, they deserve the hate and flaming they'll receive. At least we'll still have the CHL and AHL. Last time they blew off the season, I got into the “A” and could’ve cared less as to if they had reached common ground on a deal.

Having said that, pull your heads out of your arses, NHL/PA execs’, and start hammering out a deal, now!

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Los9090
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:30 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I would be very surprised if there was another lockout that killed the season. These guys can't be that arrogant...can they?

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:36 am 
Page Side

Could be good for the Sabres. Just sayin'.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:43 pm 
Captain Dynasty

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
Could be good for the Sabres. Just sayin'.

or it could cripple the league. the NHL got lucky and the lockout helped the NHL. another missed season after only 7 seasons passed since the last stoppage probably wont render the same results.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:31 pm 
PP Quarterback

Honestly, there isn't much that has to be fixed. The big issue in the last lockout was that players didn't want a salary cap and they didn't want any percentage of their pay being affected. Unfortunately for the players, both things happened.

This time around, there's the league alignment, and the players might want a little more money from the TV deal, but honestly, I don't see the big hold-up in things.

What other troubles are there?

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:12 pm 
Cup Winner

I know Owners want to ability to renegotiate contracts like the NFL does.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:45 am 
Superstar Goalie

If it locks out I am lucky to be down here in Norfolk with the best AHL hockey in the country. Boom.

lamaisonbleu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:39 pm 
Late-Round Gem

For more info on the Fehr-NHL problems go to 'Cheertheanthem.com' the article is labeled 'Put up your dukes-union and league spar over realignment.' 7 Jan 2012

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:14 pm 
PP Quarterback

lamaisonbleu wrote:
For more info on the Fehr-NHL problems go to 'Cheertheanthem.com' the article is labeled 'Put up your dukes-union and league spar over realignment.' 7 Jan 2012

Realignment issues are being made out to be a lot bigger than they actually are. I know it's Donald Fehr, but other than realignment and contract re-negotiation, what is there? Are there a lot of issues? I can't see the NHL locking out if there aren't a plethora of issues like there were last time.

@TJLuckman550

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:25 pm 
Captain Dynasty

the owners and players association are miles apart. im fully expecting a lockout at this point.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:43 pm 
Cup Winner

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
the owners and players association are miles apart. im fully expecting a lockout at this point.

Not to rag on you, but haven't you said that every year when the CBA "expires" but they just keep ratifying another year onto it? Or am I mistaking you for another person who keeps saying that?

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:46 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Not to rag on you, but haven't you said that every year when the CBA "expires" but they just keep ratifying another year onto it? Or am I mistaking you for another person who keeps saying that?

There has only been one CBA since the last lockout I think. So I don't really think you know what or who you are talking about.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:52 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

And yeah, it looks like it could well go down exactly the same this time. SI.com article I read yesterday said the owners want the players' share of revenue to go down another 10% or so. And they want a smaller cap. Now, I have been saying every year when the cap goes up, "how can they afford that?" Answer: they can't. But what the fuck is wrong with these owners? They need someone to control their own spending? It's THEM shelling out these millions upon millions for mediocre players that they're now turning around and calling overpaid. Makes ZERO sense to me. It's like an alcoholic who spends all day in a bar arguing for laws to crack down on hard liquor because he thinks that's the only way to slow his drinking. In fucking sane.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:05 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

the CBA hasnt expired since 2004.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:39 pm 
Cup Winner

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

There has only been one CBA since the last lockout I think. So I don't really think you know what or who you are talking about.

It has been slated to expire but hasn't because they kept extending more years onto it.

Here is the info on it.
"The current CBA is set to expire on September 15, 2012. The 2011–12 NHL season was the final year of the current collective bargaining agreement as the NHL Players' Association would no longer have the option to extend the current CBA."

Like I said, they don't have the option to extend it anymore so it will expire.

So I don't know what I'm talking about huh?

I guess expire was the wrong word to use, but I couldn't think of another word to use so I put it in quotes since they had the option of extending it. I could have sworn someone kept saying year after year when they had that option they would lockout every year.

Quote:
Initially signed as a six-year deal, the 2005 NHL CBA gave the NHL Players' Association an option to terminate it after the fourth year or extend it to a seventh year. The NHLPA exercised its right to extend the agreement, so it remained in effect until September of 2012.

So it was only one extendable year, but I swore someone said they would lockout this year because of the CBA and the option to extend it a 7th year.

Rud wrote:

Last edited by Skyline_BNR34 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:47 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

It has been slated to expire but hasn't because they kept extending more years onto it.

Here is the info on it.
"The current CBA is set to expire on September 15, 2012. The 2011–12 NHL season was the final year of the current collective bargaining agreement as the NHL Players' Association would no longer have the option to extend the current CBA."

I guess expire was the wrong word to use, but I couldn't think of another word to use so I put it in quotes since they had the option of extending it. I could have sworn someone kept saying year after year when they had that option they would lockout every year.

They've only had the option to extend it once, which they did.

"On July 13, 2005, the NHL and the NHLPA reached a settlement on a 6-year collective bargaining agreement. The union can reopen negotiations after the 4th year and can also extend the agreement by a year."
Source: http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2005/12/art3full.pdf

Obviously, they did.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:51 pm 
Cup Winner

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

Here is the info on it.

They've only had the option to extend it once, which they did.

"On July 13, 2005, the NHL and the NHLPA reached a settlement on a 6-year collective bargaining agreement. The union can reopen negotiations after the 4th year and can also extend the agreement by a year."
Source: http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2005/12/art3full.pdf

Obviously, they did.

Yea, I found that while you were posting it. I thought they had two years of it at first. But as I said, I thought someone said they would lock out this year because of it too. I don't really care if someone said it. I hope hockey doesn't lock out, as Mike said, it would most likely cripple the fantastic progress it has made in these past 7 years.

Rud wrote: