It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

blusabre
 Post subject: 2012 HHoF Inductees
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:35 pm 
First Rounder

Congratulations to the 2012 honoured members of the Hockey Hall of Fame: Joe Sakic, Mats Sundin, Adam Oates, and Pavel Bure.

Sakic and Sundin become first-ballot Hall of Famers. Bure and Oates become inductees after being eligible since 2006 and 2007, respectively.

Link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399298

Vanek_Fanatic_26
 Post subject: Re: 2012 HHoF Inductees
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:02 am 
PP Quarterback

If Sundin wasn't a Leaf, he wouldn't have sniffed the hall for at least another year. Shanahan was robbed, and I can guarantee he'll be suspending the entire selection committee for life.

@TJLuckman550

blusabre
 Post subject: Re: 2012 HHoF Inductees
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:26 am 
First Rounder

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
If Sundin wasn't a Leaf, he wouldn't have sniffed the hall for at least another year. Shanahan was robbed, and I can guarantee he'll be suspending the entire selection committee for life.

:lol: I could totally see Shanahan suspending everyone for life and naming himself the one and only committee member for HoF selection. Afterall, he's Brendan Shanahan, and he drops the puck.

I do believe Sundin is worthy of the Hall of Fame, based on a mind-bogglingly fantastic international resume, and the fact that he was so consistent throughout the course of his career (70+ points in every season of his career except for his rookie season, the 1994-1995 lockout shortened season in which only 47 regular season games were played, and his final 41 game season in Vancouver).

However, Shanahan absolutely deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame, and should get in next year. I think that it was a closer call between Sundin and Shanahan than some might immediately think. Career wise, Sundin has the better numbers and was more consistent. That being said, Shanahan is one of the most prolific left wingers of all-time. Shanahan easily trumps Sundin in Stanley Cups, but he also had the benefit of playing on many great teams while Sundin played for a long time on a Leafs team which likely would have been bottom-five in the league without his presence.

The bottom line is that (IMO) all the candidates who were inducted today were worthy of the honour, as were some of the players who didn't get inducted. In Shanahan's case, he will be in one day, and my bet is that he'll be getting the call for induction sooner rather than later.