BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:48 am 
Hart Winner

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400969

:shock:

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:52 am 
PP Quarterback

Darren Dregger: "Its going to be fascinating to see financial terms of Weber's offer sheet. Hearing in one calendar year, he could make $26 mil."

Yep. Say good-bye to Shea Weber, Nashville.

@TJLuckman550

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:40 am 
PP Quarterback

If they don't match it, they're dumb as hell. Match it and if he refuses to play well in Nashville, trade him next offseason. They will get a lot better return than 4 late first rounders.

I'm sure they will match the offer.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:32 am 
PP Quarterback

It'll be tough to match if the up-front money is as high as Dregger says it will be.

@TJLuckman550

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:23 pm 
Hart Winner

Nashville is 13 mill under the cap floor, aren't they?

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 pm 
Hart Winner

"I can't believe Ryan Suter is leaving Nashville..."

~ Shea Weber

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:20 pm 
PP Quarterback

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
It'll be tough to match if the up-front money is as high as Dregger says it will be.

They wanted to sign Suter to a similar contract, just a little less. Weber is even better, why wouldn't they match. The compensation is just not worth it. I've read somewhere that the Preds GM regrets not matching the offer sheet for Scott Stevens because the draft pick comensation wasn't worth it.

It's up to the owner. If they keep him the first year and trade him next offseason, they will get a huge return. Most teams will make an offer for one of the best d-man with a 13year, $74 million deal and a 7 mill cap hit.

Jammerz04
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:42 pm 
Power Forward

sabretoothpick wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

They wanted to sign Suter to a similar contract, just a little less. Weber is even better, why wouldn't they match. The compensation is just not worth it. I've read somewhere that the Preds GM regrets not matching the offer sheet for Scott Stevens because the draft pick comensation wasn't worth it.

It's up to the owner. If they keep him the first year and trade him next offseason, they will get a huge return. Most teams will make an offer for one of the best d-man with a 13year, $74 million deal and a 7 mill cap hit.

Ya they gotta match. If they don't they lose out on a future hall of fame player for a chance on few picks that will be late and not guaranteed. Hopefully Poille signs weber I'd hate to see him in the Eastern conference

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:51 pm 
Hart Winner

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Darren Dregger: "Its going to be fascinating to see financial terms of Weber's offer sheet. Hearing in one calendar year, he could make $26 mil."

Yep. Say good-bye to Shea Weber, Nashville.

What pisses me off, is that it's basically the big spenders pushing out the little teams again...

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:25 pm 
PP Quarterback

Jammerz04 wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

Ya they gotta match. If they don't they lose out on a future hall of fame player for a chance on few picks that will be late and not guaranteed. Hopefully Poille signs weber I'd hate to see him in the Eastern conference

Sure, they have to match, but can a market like Nashville afford to pay $68 million over the course of the first 6 years of the contract? Probably not.

@TJLuckman550

Los9090
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:22 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Match it then trade him

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:35 am 
PP Quarterback

Los9090 wrote:
Match it then trade him

Matching and trading only results in the same problem.

@TJLuckman550

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:32 am 
PP Quarterback

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Jammerz04 wrote:
sabretoothpick wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

Sure, they have to match, but can a market like Nashville afford to pay $68 million over the course of the first 6 years of the contract? Probably not.

They don't have to. They only have to pay $26 million in the first year and then trade him for a nice package. BTW, if they match they are not allowed to trade him for one year.
I'd give up a lot to get him and I guess Philly will give up something better than 4 late firsts in order to finally get him.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:00 pm 
Star Sniper

Matching and trading sounds like a decent plan, but that's still 26 mil for one season from Weber. That's still a TON of cash to shell out - actually it's half of their total payroll from last season. That's an even worse financial hit than 68 mil spread out over six seasons. Any way Nashville looks at it it's a tough offer to match.

What this situation points to supports the NHLPAs biggest argument in the CBA talks - that revenue sharing is a problem owners are trying to pan off on the players through lowered salaries and tighter FA restrictions. The owners can't find a way - divided by who's a have or have not - to share revenue in a way that provides a more fair playing field. Holmgren served up a prime example for the NHLPA to use and show how they and the NHl are at fault for having struggling franchises that lose too much money or can't compete...not the players.

If the new CBA requires that salary match yearly cap hit and eliminates signing bonuses, small market teams won't get held up by like Nashville. I don't see the players having much objection to those changes, but owners need to improve revenue sharing at the same time to make every team viable.

Los9090
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:30 am 
Superstar Goalie

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Los9090 wrote:
Match it then trade him

Matching and trading only results in the same problem.

Yeah, I jumped the gun on that post. Sounded that easy and made sense in my head, but the CBA right now doesn't allow such a move. Now Nashville fans will know how we felt on Black Monday.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:18 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Los9090 wrote:
Match it then trade him

They can't.

A player cannot be traded for one calendar year after signing an offer sheet.

And BTW, the Preds have decided to match.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:24 pm 
PP Quarterback

I'm sort of shocked. I really didn't think the Preds had it in them.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:35 pm 
Cup Winner

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

They had too.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:31 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:

They had too.

This. If they didn't their fanbase would have rioted or disappeared. Next year half the league will make an offer for Weber.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:49 pm 
Star Sniper

Crap, now this puts Philly in good cap position to trade for Bobby Ryan. I'm still clinging to a pipe dream that Regier could get him, but at least I'd want Ryan to stay out West if not in Buffalo.