Please click here to view the forum rules

sabresindc
 Post subject: LOCKOUT
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:17 pm 
Captain Clutch

Well, the lockout is official.

NHL message to the fans
Quote:
“Despite the expiration of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the National Hockey League has been, and remains, committed to negotiating around the clock to reach a new CBA that is fair to the Players and to the 30 NHL teams.

Thanks to the conditions fostered by seven seasons under the previous CBA, competitive balance has created arguably the most meaningful regular season in pro sports; a different team has won the Stanley Cup every year; fans and sponsors have agreed the game is at its best, and the League has generated remarkable growth and momentum. While our last CBA negotiation resulted in a seismic change in the League’s economic system, and produced corresponding on-ice benefits, our current negotiation is focused on a fairer and more sustainable division of revenues with the Players -- as well as other necessary adjustments consistent with the objectives of the economic system we developed jointly with the NHL Players’ Association seven years ago. Those adjustments are attainable through sensible, focused negotiation -- not through rhetoric.

This is a time of year for all attention to be focused on the ice, not on a meeting room. The League, the Clubs and the Players all have a stake in resolving our bargaining issues appropriately and getting the puck dropped as soon as possible. We owe it to each other, to the game and, most of all, to the fans.”

NHLPA message to the fans

What's your thoughts about the lockout?
-How long will it last?
-What damage will occur if it lasts into the season?

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

BlueandYellow
 Post subject: Re: LOCKOUT
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:45 pm 
Hart Winner

How about the NHLPA actually send a counter proposal or accept the current one instead of acting like the fucking victims?

Wozniak
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:11 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

i find it almost impossible to side with the owners in this. They are asking the players to fix the problems that they (the owners) caused in the first place with obscene contract lengths and high salaries. the HRR sharing is (if I understand it right) being made more of an issue then it should be. If i understand it right, the players % of the HRR is what is used to pay their contracts and that % also sets the salary cap. The owners demand of an immediate 15% cut in the players take would totally fuck the players out of millions of dollars.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:57 pm 
Hart Winner

Wozniak wrote:
i find it almost impossible to side with the owners in this. They are asking the players to fix the problems that they (the owners) caused in the first place with obscene contract lengths and high salaries. the HRR sharing is (if I understand it right) being made more of an issue then it should be. If i understand it right, the players % of the HRR is what is used to pay their contracts and that % also sets the salary cap. The owners demand of an immediate 15% cut in the players take would totally fuck the players out of millions of dollars.

The owners requested a 9% cut. If the NHLPA really wanted to avoid a lockout and be fair they would've suggested 50-50. The players are already filthy fucking rich, but they want costs to be made in other places. Which brings me to the NHL, who said revenues were great and at an alltime high (or something like that) yet they're cutting costs.

Both are completely idiotic.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:06 pm 
MegaDouche

I've tried paying attention to each side, and in doing so I just can't make up my mind on who I would side with. I think both sides are doing wrong and I just want there to be a fucking puck drop in Oct!!!

sabretoothpick
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:00 am 
PP Quarterback

Well, I can understand both sides but I think the owners and the league are more to blame because they signed the contracts, the previous CBA and pushed franchises that aren't successful.

As a "normal" human being I think it's ridiculous that everybody is rich and earning a shit ton of money but they still can't agree on anything.

The problem is that as soon as the puck drops the golden money river starts flowig again and they won't feel any repercussions from their actions (or lack there of). Ideally the fans should let them know they don't appreaciate that shit by not buying tickets, merchandise and so on.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:53 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Lockout with your cock out!

(Sorry, I had a Mike moment...)

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:04 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

I has a sad

And not that I really care too much, but this will be bad for hockey in California...the Kings win, there's a great buzz around here then boom. Lockout.
People around here just aren't going to get excited for any minor league or college hockey...only the NHL can do that.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:27 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Yeah, that is a huge dower. Almost typical of the NHL though. Every time they get a good thing going, they find a way to fuck it up.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:50 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
Lockout with your cock out!

(Sorry, I had a Mike moment...)

mike moments make life worth living. dont apologize for having mike moments.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:30 pm 
Cup Winner

You know, how come hockey ran uninterrupted from 1917-1994? That was 77 years, and since Bettman has been the commish, there have been 3 lockouts? An average of one every 6 years.

Fuck him, get rid of him. Even though I know it's not his fault essentially. That is a terrible track record.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:32 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Plain and simple, the NHL is lucky hockey is so awesome because no other fanbase would put up with this shit.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:45 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Just fuck these greedy assholes so much.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:18 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

So, by what date must a deal be reached for us to be able to have some sort of abbreviated season? Is that even an option?