It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

lamaisonbleu
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:20 pm 
Late-Round Gem

Crosby got a puck in the mouth, lost teeth, and is out 'indefinitely'. Stahl gets a puck in the eye a few weeks ago. Every year we see 2 or 3 serious face injuries. Should the NHL mandate full face masks as in college hockey? I am certain most Sabres Junkies will say 'no way' and the NHL wouldn't do it anyway this century. But maybe if enough high priced stars keep eating pucks there might be a change of minds.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:03 pm 
Hart Winner

At least visors. I mean, if someone can develop face masks that do as little vision blocking as possible, that would be cool, as long as they're easy enough to take off for a fight. But there's the scrum aspect and everything, so visors I support fully.

Last edited by BlueandYellow on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:04 pm 
Cup Winner

If the players want to play without a faceshield or mask let them. They are all adults getting hefty benefits and free medical care. Why should they be forced to wear a face cage.

Even the Juniors don't require a face mask only the half shield.

They don't even require mask's or visor's in rec league hockey.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:07 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I have no problem with some sort of mandatory face protection. At least a half shield. I don't think a full cage is required, but I wouldn't be up in arms if they mandated it.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:11 am 
Cup Winner

BlueandYellow wrote:
At least visors. I mean, if someone can develop face masks that do as little vision blocking as possible, that would be cool, as long as they're easy enough to take off for a fight. But there's the scrum aspect and everything, so visors I support fully.

You mean like this?

Every kind of shield has been made to full wire cages to full visors and like that a half cage half shield concept.

I have a real nice Bauer 7000 cage which doesn't have too much vision blocking, but since I started wearing a visor I don't like the vision aspect of the cage anymore.

Visor's aren't bad, most don't have any optic loss on them anymore. Plus they are made mostly by Oakley nowadays.

You'll never see the NHL mandate a full cage though, Visor's, I don't care what they do about them. Most players wear them since they are required to in Juniors and most other leagues anyways so they are simply used to them.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:55 am 
Superstar Goalie

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
You mean like this?

How do you wipe the inside of that visor off?

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:37 pm 
Cup Winner

NYIntensity wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
You mean like this?

How do you wipe the inside of that visor off?

Undo the chin strap.

Rud wrote:

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:04 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
If the players want to play without a faceshield or mask let them. They are all adults getting hefty benefits and free medical care. Why should they be forced to wear a face cage.

NCAA has to wear a full shield, i believe, but CHL, does not. but get this, in the CHL, the goalie has to wear a certified cage. NCAA, goalies are allowed to wear non-certified cages. weird, huh?

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:25 pm 
Cup Winner

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

NCAA has to wear a full shield, i believe, but CHL, does not. but get this, in the CHL, the goalie has to wear a certified cage. NCAA, goalies are allowed to wear non-certified cages. weird, huh?

That is weird.

Rud wrote:

Los9090
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 am 
Superstar Goalie

Of course critics will be discussing this because the golden boy got hit. When Vanek got smacked, I bet people were saying "that's part of the game".

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:06 pm 
PP Quarterback

Los9090 wrote:
Of course critics will be discussing this because the golden boy got hit. When Vanek got smacked, I bet people were saying "that's part of the game".

This was discussed way before the best player in the league got hit in the face.

@TJLuckman550

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 pm 
Cup Winner

The mandatory visor talk has been going on for years too.

Rud wrote:

Montalo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:31 pm 
PP Quarterback

From a hockey viewpoint, I dont like mandatory visors because I feel it leads to players being dirtier and taking more risks, because of the extra protection. It does cut down on injuries though form accidents, so im neutral on the issue, but leaning towards do nothing.

HOWEVER

Looking at this from a buisness standpoint, I would do it, no questions asked. They might be grown men, but they are also my employees who refuse to wear protection, and if they are hurt, they cant be productive. And profits will override free choice in the terms of saftey.

Vanek_Fanatic_26
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:45 pm 
PP Quarterback

Montalo wrote:
From a hockey viewpoint, I dont like mandatory visors because I feel it leads to players being dirtier and taking more risks, because of the extra protection. It does cut down on injuries though form accidents, so im neutral on the issue, but leaning towards do nothing.

HOWEVER

Looking at this from a buisness standpoint, I would do it, no questions asked. They might be grown men, but they are also my employees who refuse to wear protection, and if they are hurt, they cant be productive. And profits will override free choice in the terms of saftey.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

@TJLuckman550

Los9090
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:38 am 
Superstar Goalie

Vanek_Fanatic_26 wrote:
Los9090 wrote:

This was discussed way before the best player in the league got hit in the face.

Yes, but then it was swept under the rug.