It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:59 pm 
Captain Dynasty

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/04/technol ... n&hpt=Sbin

that nexus one is fucking sexy, eh? maybe ill scrap my future iphone purchase and get the nexus one.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:11 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

The Nexus One is pretty darn sexy. So is the Droid to be honest.

I'm a big fan of my iPhone, but I'll be honest that once the time comes I'll be taking a serious look at these other phones.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:13 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

you know the #1 feature it has over the iPhone?

no AT&T

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:13 pm 
Page Side

New iPhone due in June.

It's going to be so much better than anything else out there it'll be hilarious.

They'll be 2 years ahead of everyone else at the very least.

Also, I don't know why AT&T gets bashed on so much.

They aren't the cheapest plan, but everywhere that I use my phone, I have 3G, and it works WAYYY better than Verizon's 3G. Verizon always fails to send texts, and my AT&T phone never does that.

Also, I went to Canada, used my phone, got a 50 dollar roaming charge, and AT&T waived it for me.

I've been very satisfied with them.

Last edited by PuckSniperPensel on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:14 pm 

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
New iPhone due in June.

It's going to be so much better than anything else out there it'll be hilarious.

it'll still be on the AT&T network ;)

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:17 pm 
Page Side

Crosscheck wrote:
PuckSniperPensel wrote:
New iPhone due in June.

it'll still be on the AT&T network ;)

That remains to be seen. It's heavily believed that exclusivity ends in June. :D

But like I said... AT&T has done me right for a long time now. The only way I'd switch is if it were available on Sprint... which kicks ass in my area.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:18 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

AT&T in WNY isn't so bad. In NYC my phone is unusable, and I'm expecting it to be just as bad when I go to Boston later this month.

AT&T's network performance will be a major factor in my decision once it comes time. I can only pray that Verizon's LTE network is up by then. If it is, I'll be using whatever phone works on that.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:24 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i believe verizon will get the new iphone. i truly do. att will get it too, but i think verizon will too. both phones get the job done. i love my blackberry, but its simply too clunky to work with sometimes. if the iphone does come to verizon, which they are upgrading everything to i believe its LTE network, which is basically 4g, if im not mistaken, ill probably end up getting the new iphone. if it doesnt, ill go to the nexus one, unless BBERRY severely upgrades that clunky OS.

one thing i found cool is android apps are already closing the gap to iphone apps. the difference is still huge, but its closing fast. we shall see, im up for a new phone in november.

that said, i never ever have any issues with verizons network. when i first moved to kalamazoo in 2005, it wasnt even supported out there yet, but now? never. maybe its because i live a half mile from a verizon tower, who knows. haha.

Last edited by ironyisadeadscene on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:26 pm 
Page Side

I think one of the coolest potentials with the next iPhone is a multitouch case.

Whereas, you can make inputs on the phone by dragging your finger across the back cover to scroll up and down, so you can view what you are seeing rather than blocking it with your finger.

The possibilities are endless with a multi touch back cover.

Also, video chat is being rumored big time.

Last edited by PuckSniperPensel on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:28 pm 

Squanto wrote:
AT&T in WNY isn't so bad. In NYC my phone is unusable, and I'm expecting it to be just as bad when I go to Boston later this month.

All I know is AT&T sucks in L.A.

iPhones get no signal in my house yet my BB on verizon has almost full signal. If AT&T can't put a usable network in L.A. or NYC what the hell good are they?

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:28 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Yeah, they won't make a dual mode iPhone just to get it on Verizon's CDMA network. There are already GSM/LTE radios that can be used, but I think they just wait until AT&T OR Verizon get their LTE network up, then release an LTE iPhone on both. That should cause a mass exodus away from AT&T... stock shortin' time!!

The Android app store is going to catch Apple eventually, I'm sure of it. Apple's app store approval policies have been.. questionable at best, and it's really the only thing they've criticized for. Android allows you to use those 'unapproved' apps if you want, which is a significant plus for plenty of folks.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:29 pm 
Captain Dynasty

you mentioned sprint, my old room mate had sprint, i had verizon. if i had a nickle for every time he asked to use my phone because he had no signal, i could probably buy a large pizza. he ALWAYS used my phone because of shitty sprint coverage. and that was when we lived in grand rapids. grand rapids is a large city slightly smaller then buffalo. youd think there wouldnt be any dead zones, but boy were there ever!

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:30 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Crosscheck wrote:
Squanto wrote:

All I know is AT&T sucks in L.A.

iPhones get no signal in my house yet my BB on verizon has almost full signal. If AT&T can't put a usable network in L.A. or NYC what the hell good are they?

I've heard it's pretty bad in SF too, really any major city for that matter. One more knock on Buffalo, our city is too small to have bad service!! :p

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:32 pm 
Page Side

Squanto wrote:
Yeah, they won't make a dual mode iPhone just to get it on Verizon's CDMA network. There are already GSM/LTE radios that can be used, but I think they just wait until AT&T OR Verizon get their LTE network up, then release an LTE iPhone on both. That should cause a mass exodus away from AT&T... stock shortin' time!!

The Android app store is going to catch Apple eventually, I'm sure of it. Apple's app store approval policies have been.. questionable at best, and it's really the only thing they've criticized for. Android allows you to use those 'unapproved' apps if you want, which is a significant plus for plenty of folks.

Developers will go where the money is.

So far, Google's Android has fallen short at attracting new customers. And when malicious apps start being developed because Google uses an open platform, people are going to get pissed.

Apple has a lawsuit on HTC right now, which indirectly attacks Android. Should they win their case, a lawsuit against Google will be forthcoming, and that isn't good news for them... or us to be honest.

Competition is a good thing. That's why I know the next iPhone is going to eat everything else alive. Because they have to shock and awe again to retain their market share.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:35 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i read about that lawsuit today. no way in hell does apple win.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:36 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
Because they have to shock and awe again to retain their market share.

They better. The 3G -> 3GS upgrade was pretty marginal. Even the hardcore Apple fans didn't think it was that big a deal. I only moved to the 3GS because I spidered the glass on my 3G. (My own fault, not a design problem.)

They need to to wow with the next iPhone, or the Android platforms are going to keep their momentum rolling.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:40 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

I am actually upgrading my phone in a couple of weeks, trying to decide if I wanna go with I-phone or HTC's Pure...both are pretty cool, plus I feel like I'd be a hypocrite after ripping on Squanto for a few hours about his I-phone then selling out and buying one :lol:

Squanto 7/27/2010

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:43 pm 
Page Side

Squanto wrote:
PuckSniperPensel wrote:
Because they have to shock and awe again to retain their market share.

They better. The 3G -> 3GS upgrade was pretty marginal. Even the hardcore Apple fans didn't think it was that big a deal. I only moved to the 3GS because I spidered the glass on my 3G. (My own fault, not a design problem.)

They need to to wow with the next iPhone, or the Android platforms are going to keep their momentum rolling.

Agreed. But it was a strategic move by Apple.

They had all kinds of technology ready for a much stronger release, but decided to hold off because there just wasn't any competition at the time.

I will be very surprised if the next launch doesn't shock and awe.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:45 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i just read verizon is trying to get its LTE network up and running in 20-40 markets by the end of this month. ATT's LTE network is expected to be up and running at earliest 2012. and, android phones are kicking so much ass, that verizon user no longer want the IPHONE on verizon as bad as they did. its still a desire, but android phones may have started to dent that market.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:51 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
Agreed. But it was a strategic move by Apple.

They had all kinds of technology ready for a much stronger release, but decided to hold off because there just wasn't any competition at the time.

I will be very surprised if the next launch doesn't shock and awe.

Fair point. I'd be willing to bet that the next iPhone has even more battery life if they replace the Cortex-A8 with that A4 they have PA Semi making. Should be interesting.

Even though Verizon may not want the iPhone as much as they once did, I can't see any way that they turn it down. If they get LTE up well before AT&T AND Apple comes out with an LTE phone, you could bet that over half the installed iPhone base would jump ship. VZ would be crazy to turn down that revenue.