It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:53 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I love quotes, so here are some of my favorites. (let's leave lyrics out of this :P)

Harry looked around; there was Ginny running towards him; she had a hard, blazing look in her face as she threw her arms around him. And without thinking, without planning it, without worrying about the fact that fifty people were watching, Harry kissed her. After several long moments – or it might have been half an hour – or possibly several sunlit days – they broke apart.

---Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

"Teriffic set of skivvies there on Vanek."

---WGR

"To Flee is Grace, to Linger, Death.
---Eli, Let the Right One In

"I can't do this. I have to look up every other word in the dictionary, then I have to look up those words in the children's dictionary!"
---Novalee Nation, "Where the Heart Is"

"Vice? Virtue? It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality."
---Maude from Harold and Maude

"If you can't laugh at yourself, life is going to seem a whole lot longer than you'd like."

"Thats life. If nothing else, it's life.It's real and sometimes it fuckin' hurts, but its sort of all we have."
---Sam from "Garden State"

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
---"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost

"Remember your mistakes are your own unique way of getting to where you need to be." ---Conan O'Brien

dehaasbz: hoes is crazy
CriminallyVu1gar: yep
dehaasbz: and they wonder why they didnt have rights for all those years

"At the end of your life, you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a child, a friend or a parent."

---Barbara Bush

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:00 pm 
Star Sniper

"My Hovercraft is full of eals...." -Hungarian Man using rigged translation book.

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

Melly317
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm 
Power Forward

Beyond myself somewhere, I wait for my arrival - Octavio Paz

acrossthelines
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:07 pm 
Superstar Goalie

You asked.

"For all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these: 'It might have been.'"
-John Greenleaf Whittier

"Black holes are when God divided by zero."
-Stephen Wright

"In the world it is called Tolerance, but in hell it is called Despair, the sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die.”
-Dorothy Sayers

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; slight minds discuss people."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

"Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."
-Oscar Wilde

"There is no torture greater than that of a man who is unable to express what is in his soul."
-Michel de Montaigne

"The unexamined life is not worth living."
-Socrates

"People in distress will sometimes prefer a problem that is familiar to a solution that is not."
-Neil Postman

"We have sunk to a depth in which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
-George Orwell

"With what noise, and tumult, and zeal of solemn justice, is this sin punished! The streets are not more full of beholders, than clamors. Every one strives to express his detestation of the fact, by some token of revenge: one casts mire, another water, another rotten eggs, upon the miserable offender. Neither, indeed, is she worthy of less: but, in the mean time, no man looks home to himself. It is no uncharity to say, that too many insult in this just punishment, who have deserved more... Public sins have more shame; private may have more guilt. If the world cannot charge me of those, it is enough, that I can charge my soul of worse. Let others rejoice, in these public executions; let me pity the sins of others, and be humbled under the sense of my own."
-Joseph Hall

"Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne'er succeed"
-Emily Dickinson

"And I would that my tongue could utter
The thoughts that arise in me"
-Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
-Bertrand Russell

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles..."
-Jack Kerouac

"One does not see anything until one sees its beauty."
-Oscar Wilde

"There are no secrets better kept than the secrets everybody guesses."
-George Bernard Shaw

"The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them."
-Stephen King

"Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions."
-Mahfouz Naguib

"From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I loved, I loved alone.
Then- in my childhood, in the dawn
Of a most stormy life- was drawn
From every depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that round me rolled
In its autumn tint of gold,
From the lightning in the sky
As it passed me flying by,
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view."
-Edgar Allan Poe

“The three hardest tasks in the world are neither physical feats nor intellectual achievements, but moral acts: to return love for hate, to include the excluded, and to say, 'I was wrong.'”
-Sydney J. Harris

"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."
-Victor Hugo

“The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.”
- Leo F. Buscaglia

“There is no joy but calm.”
-Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
-Bertrand Russell

"I believe in things so huge we forget what they're about and why. I believe in things so small that it's taken us all these years to realize we've seen nothing."
-Arkaye Kierulf

"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."
-Albert Einstein

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought."
-Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"The policy of being too cautious is the greatest risk of all."
-Jawaharlal Nehru

Albert Einstein:
People like you and I, though mortal of course like everyone else, do not grow old no matter how long we live...[We] never cease to stand like curious children before the great mystery into which we were born. letter to Otto Juliusburger

Daniel Dennett:
There's nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view that I hold dear.

John Adams:
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain.

Pablo Picasso:
All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.

Georg C. Lichtenberg:
To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation.

Kenneth Patton:
The day I see a leaf is a marvel of a day.

Ralph Waldo Emerson:
Truth, and goodness, and beauty are but different faces of the same all.

Alfred Korzybski:
There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking.

Albert Camus:
After all manner of professors have done their best for us, the place we are to get knowledge is in books. The true university of these days is a collection of books.

Cicero:
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Oscar Wilde:
The difference between literature and journalism is that journalism is unreadable and literature is not read.

Edwin H. Friedman:
The colossal misunderstanding of our time is the assumption that insight will work with people who are unmotivated to change. Communication does not depend on syntax, or eloquence, or rhetoric, or articulation but on the emotional context in which the message is being heard. People can only hear you when they are moving toward you, and they are not likely to when your words are pursuing them. Even the choices words lose their power when they are used to overpower. Attitudes are the real figures of speech.

Franklin D. Roosevelt:
When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Leo Tolstoy:
Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.

John J. Plomp:
You know children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers.

Leo Rosten:
You can understand and relate to most people better if you look at them -- no matter how old or impressive they may be -- as if they are children. For most of us never really grow up or mature all that much -- we simply grow taller. O, to be sure, we laugh less and play less and wear uncomfortable disguises like adults, but beneath the costume is the child we always are, whose needs are simple, whose daily life is still best described by fairy tales.

Elbert Hubbard:
The man who is anybody and who does anything is surely going to be criticized, vilified, and misunderstood. This is part of the penalty for greatness.

Winston Churchill:
From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

Martin Luther King, jr.:
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Shirley Chisholm:
When morality comes up against profit, it is seldom that profit loses.

Charlotte Bronte:
Conventionality is not morality.

Ralph Waldo Emerson:
Is it so bad to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh.

True dissent doesn't feel like going to school wearing black; it feels like going to school wearing a clown suit.
—Eliezer Yudkowsky

People understand me so poorly that they don't even understand my complaint about them not understanding me.
-Soren Kierkegaard

‎"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Khalil Gibran

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:08 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make - John Lennon. Words to live by.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:21 pm 
Star Sniper

CV said no Lyrics; you cheater!! :lol:

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

ItsMe
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:36 pm 
Penalty Killer

As I look at myself looking at me, and my eye forms a lens for the journey through my own universe, I begin to let go of the concept of accepted sanity, and accept my place among the memories within.
A homeless guy sitting on a park bench.......

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:46 pm 
Captain Clutch

My absolutely favorite quote was by a man I admire, Walt Disney. All the quotes below are my favorite Walt Disney quotes...

I try to live by the first one everyday....

A man should never neglect his family for business.

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. (my sig right now)

Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children.

I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.

If you can dream it, you can do it.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.

And don't forget

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

mrkwllb
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:35 pm 
Emergency Call-Up

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking. ~ Steve McCroskey & most Buffalo sports fans

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:29 am 
Cup Winner

Stevie Ray Vaughan:
All we ever have is the need to give each other our love, and if we forget that, we'd lose everything we got.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:38 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

"Fuck it"
~The Dude