It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:21 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Kris Baker from Sabres Prospects is reporting Zack Kassian was arrested at 1:50AM this morning following a fight at a Windsor night club. Details are few, except apparently he busted a guy's lip.

I'm mobile...anyone wanna grab the story from Windsor's paper and link it here?

Last edited by mechaphil on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:46 pm 
resident car guy

http://www.windsorstar.com/travel/Spitfire+Zack+Kassian+arrested+Windsor+fight/3089839/story.html

Quote:
WINDSOR, Ont. -- Spitfires forward Zack Kassian was arrested early Sunday morning after allegedly being involved in an altercation at a downtown Windsor nightclub.

No charges have been laid at this time. Kassian was arrested at 1:50 a.m. at The Beach Sports Bar and Grill on Ouellette Avenue and was later released, said Windsor police acting Staff Sgt. Guy Pellett. Staff at the bar refused to comment.

Pellett said Kassian allegedly assaulted another man, who sustained minor injuries, including a cut lip.

Police continue to investigate.

Kassian is from LaSalle and is a member of the Memorial Cup champion Spitfires.

His sister Stephanie was unaware of the arrest and wouldn't comment.

Rob Gagnon, Spitfires public relations coordinator, was also unaware of the arrest.

The six-foot-three, 215-pound forward had two goals and three assists in four games at the Memorial Cup in Brandon.

Last Sunday, he scored a goal against the Brandon Wheat Kings that lead the team to a 9-1 victory for the Memorial Cup.

In January, he received a 20-game suspension by the OHL for his Jan. 21 hit to the head against a Barrie player.

In 2009, he was suspended for a game as captain of the Peterborough Petes for breaking curfew.

Calls to Kassian and the Spitfires' head coach and general manager were not returned.

Did you witness the alleged altercation? If so, contact reporter Carys Mills at [email protected].
© Copyright (c) The Windsor Star

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

GoSabres29
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:14 pm 
Garbage Man

My opinion is that hockey players are allowed to have social lives. It's not that bad. Bar fights happen all night all over the world, it just happened to happen to Kassian. He obviously has a little flare/mean streak, and I'm excited to see that mean streak show itself in a Sabres uniform.

Dreakon
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:19 pm 
7th Defenseman

At least he won the bar fight, I guess. Sounds that way anyways. ;)

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:20 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

That's kind of a bunk argument GoSabres29, if you ask me. That's like saying hockey players are allowed to have romantic lives and sexual assault happens all the time all over the world, but it just happened to Kassian this time.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:26 pm 
Captain Dynasty

mechaphil wrote:
That's kind of a bunk argument GoSabres29, if you ask me. That's like saying hockey players are allowed to have romantic lives and sexual assault happens all the time all over the world, but it just happened to Kassian this time.

Yeah, but we don't know how the bar fight started. If he sexually assaulted someone, pretty clear how that started.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:33 pm 
Hart Winner

GoSabres29 wrote:
My opinion is that hockey players are allowed to have social lives. It's not that bad. Bar fights happen all night all over the world, it just happened to happen to Kassian. He obviously has a little flare/mean streak, and I'm excited to see that mean streak show itself in a Sabres uniform.

When more details are given out, this comment will be agreed with, or disagreed with.

If the other guy threw the first punch, I love Kassian.

If Kassian threw the first punch, screw him to hell. You NEVER resort to violence unless the person who it's against did the same.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:38 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
mechaphil wrote:

Yeah, but we don't know how the bar fight started. If he sexually assaulted someone, pretty clear how that started.

Yes but the point I'm trying to make is that you can't just say "oh well, bar fights happen and it was just a whoopsie that he was involved".

The only way I can say I'd be OK with this is if he was defending some girl from her drunken, douchebag boyfriend. Otherwise, he needs to calm down. Problem is, as an athlete, he's treated like an adult when he's still a kid.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:55 pm 
Superstar Goalie

He's not a kid, first. Second, I don't really care that he was in a bar fight. I'm glad he had the restraint to not cave this guy's skull in.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:02 pm 
PP Quarterback

phil i'm calling shenanigans. to even think it's similar to compare a bar fight to a sexual offense is fucking ridiculous.

bar fights DO happen. maybe he ran his mouth, maybe the other guy ran his mouth. who cares? it's only a character issue if he pulled out the "do you know who i am?!?!"

most athletes tend to be cocky. if something happened, something happened. kane wanted his change (which he deserved...it's his money) and who knows with this guy.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:03 pm 
Cup Winner

NYIntensity wrote:
He's not a kid, first. Second, I don't really care that he was in a bar fight. I'm glad he had the restraint to not cave this guy's skull in.

Basically.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:13 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

You guys wanna worship at the cult of personality, fine.

Bottom line is, he shouldn't have been involved UNLESS he was defending someone. Otherwise, be the better person.

And you're right, NYI, that he isn't a kid anymore.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:15 pm 
PP Quarterback

there is no worshipping the cult of personality. fights happen, and when they don't go too far there really is no problems. a busted lip is nothing.

not the same as sexual assault.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:23 pm 
Cup Winner

Just because he's an athlete he can't go to a bar and get into a fight?

What's the fun in that? Does HE have to stay home and have no life at all while hockey is over for the season? Or should he be at the ice rink at these hours skating and practicing?

Let them have some social fun in their lives, shit happens, this incident is nothing then a bar fight, had he done something worse then he deserves it worse, but it's nothing.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:31 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I never said he shouldn't have a social life, Sky. Don't be a twit.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:35 pm 
Cup Winner

mechaphil wrote:
I never said he shouldn't have a social life, Sky. Don't be a twit.

Meh, I don't find a big deal out of it anyways. Like I said, shit happens. If this had been anyone else say Payton Manning, shit happens, especially when alcohol is involved.

Rud wrote:

acrossthelines
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:47 pm 
Superstar Goalie

This thread is making me want to do some hardcore research into why some people, when they do stupid things, are crucified, while with others it's not a big deal at all. Two people doing the exact same thing can get incredibly different responses from the general public depending on... nothing but the first few responses to a topic? What is going on in the world at the time? What? Sometimes it obviously has to do with reputation whether earned or not, but much of the time it seems really arbitrary without any correlation to any characteristic of the people/person involved, and it's rare that the response is positive or neutral. If this thread is indicative of anything, at least Kassian won't be put through the ringer before the whole story comes out.

‎"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Khalil Gibran

PatGreen
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:54 pm 
PP Quarterback

that's because people put certain groups of people (like athletes) onto some gold standard of behavior, when the reality is, they are just like every other person except they have money and free time, and they are really good at their sport of choice.

hockeyplaya00
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:05 pm 
Penalty Killer

I dont think its a big deal pending he wasn't going around like a douche, I think something like this is minor situation and should be treated as such.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:13 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

That's because of the spotlight put on them due to their career choice. Athletes become role models and kids are apt to emulate their role models. These people, due to their celebrity, need to be aware that their behavior reverberates through society more than the regular dude.

Sure, BZK hasn't even played an NHL game yet, but I'm sure some big 6 year old or something was watching him kick ass in the Memorial Cup when he turned to his dad and said "When I'm in the CHL, I wanna play like him." Due to the spotlight cast on professional athletes, his influence will only grow as he makes it up to the bigs.

(Sorry if I'm a few posts late, I'm mobile. This post was directed at Pat's comment about gold standards)