It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

backthatSASSup
 Post subject: Resume Help!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:19 am 
PP Quarterback

So, I bought my suit and I'm all set to go in that aspect, but now I need to create a killer resume for Monday. The UB Accounting Association and one of our business frats are hosting a "Meet the Professionals" night on Monday, where we can hand out our resume and mingle with around 30 representatives from local firms. This could be the perfect opportunity for me to land an internship.

I need to come up with a resume and THEN I can bring it to my career resource center where they can tear me a new asshole and make it better. :lol: I need to come in with something first, though.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

icehound
 Post subject: Re: Resume Help!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:32 pm 
Star Sniper

I'd be glad to offer a letter of reference, should you require one. I can be quite flattering, when my input is desired.

As for a resumé - A single sheet: Simple, legible, highlighting formal education, work-history, marketable/job-worthy skills & (sound) references.

The simplest "professional" template in MS Word will work. Nothing fruity, fancy or ornate. Cut and dried, no bullshit, brief paragraphs is best.

Try to avoid a bullet-list - No one likes shopping-lists of data. Two-line statements of facts. Accentuate jobs you've done well at, or how you have turned potential negatives into positives. Give positive, near-future goals, and how they may be made to parallel the position you're applying for.

Under no circumstances should you get too "personal" describing illnesses, family problems, intimate details, excuses, gripes, etc - Avoid the pitfalls of TMI!

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:48 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

yeah...do a google search for MS word resume templates...there are hundreds out there to choose from.
The last time I was job hunting I re-wrote mine from scratch...I think it's pretty sweet, but it's for a nerdy job so it probably wouldn't help you (it's a giant list of acronyms basically).

Keep in mind, most places have software do the initial screening or resumes now, so don't make the layout so fancy that a machine wouldn't be able to figure it out ;)

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:24 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

God...I haven't looked at my resume in about 5 years. It would take me forever to redo it now, this job alone would take up 2 pages!

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:14 am 
PP Quarterback

Okay, my one question that has been sort of nagging me. What exactly do I want to write as an objective?

Since this would be an internship and my first real experience with accounting, I would figure I'd want to emphasize that I want to learn firsthand what it's like to be in an accounting firm applying skills I have already learned.

Ugh this is just so stressful to me.

ItsMe
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:37 am 
Penalty Killer

Sounds like you have your objective.....Obtain an internship utilizing the basic, intermediate and advanced skills learned in your college environment to better understand the accounting industry and better prepare for a rewarding career.

A great resume with focus on key words and computer catch phases may get you an interview. But your face to face interview will determine a second interview. Your appearance, your confidence, and your over all knowledge of the industry is essential. In a word, if the interviewer likes you, being less skilled than a jerk with a hat on sideways, late, and bad breath, pants around your ass, with an attitude and a ton of credentials will get YOU in the door first.....maybe it sucks, but it is the reality of the business world. If you want to succeed and pay your bills, rebel at home. Businesses aren't flattered and wont bother. Be professional to become professional.

Back to ETCs place.........

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:31 am 
Sober enough to run a server

Yeah...you just stated your objective. I usually keep that pretty simple and broad.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:06 am 
PP Quarterback

I really like ItsMe's statement. I'm gonna gank that and change it up a bit.

You said it much better than I did. :)

I am just so nervous about this. I want to make sure it's perfect.

What should I do about printing? Does using special paper make a difference?

icehound
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:30 am 
Star Sniper

Laser printer, letter-quality paper.

Put it together, email me the .doc and I can print as many copies as you need and you can pick them up...freebies.

Or you can get Kinkos to print them by putting the file on a stick or diskette.

ItsMe
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:03 am 
Penalty Killer

backthatSASSup wrote:
I really like ItsMe's statement. I'm gonna gank that and change it up a bit.

You said it much better than I did. :)

I am just so nervous about this. I want to make sure it's perfect.

What should I do about printing? Does using special paper make a difference?

Thanks....nervous is normal and interviewers know it. They will ask you questions, give you scenarios, or even try to stump you. They are professionals at interviews. They are experts at not only what you say but how you say it. Don't lie or bullshit them. Know your subject matter and answer positively, semi enthusiastically, and above all never anything negative. Have a friend interview you. Remember you are selling yourself. How are you better than the other 200 interviewees? What makes them want you? How are you going to be an asset to their company? How are you going to generate more revenue than you cost? If your computer crashes and you have an important account to get ready, what would you do? These are questions you may have to answer. You may not be able to, but have, no bullshit, positive responses. Think on your feet. Thats what they look for. Go over your resume upside down and inside out.Have it in a folder along with a couple of other copies in case there are two interviewers and only one has a copy, they may do that on purpose to see how much attention to detail you are aware of. Don't get shit faced the night before, no beans and beer, garlic or onions. Trimmed hair, a conservative suit, do not smoke before, stand up to shake hands, and thank them as you tell them you enjoyed the interview and are looking forward to a second interview. Include that you feel your eagerness to learn the industry, your positive attitude, and your desire to work with people, will be an asset to their company. Smile warmly, shake hands, and get ready for the next interview. Pronounce your words correctly, don't be overly friendly, a quick quip inserted may break some icy waters. Be concise and answer only enough to spark their interest. This may be an internship, but later if it is a 50 grand a year job and you stay for ten years, you are trying to sell a 500 thousand dollar account.

As for the resume...concise and positive. Include work, school, the credits per semester, GPA, all show an ability to juggle time effectively. Including an expected graduation date and any plans for graduate work shows you are goal oriented. HR people will toss your resume in the trash, literally, if the date is wrong, misspelled words, or if they have to use to much brain power to decide on an interview. They read hundreds of them for a single job. Learn the computer catch words and include them. Many companies use scanners to pre-qualify resumes.

In any event, be yourself, professional, but yourself. And be ready for rejection. It happens. Learn and move to the next one with the attitude, how can I do better. That in itself is the attitude prospective employers look for. Remember, you aren't going to be perfect....if someone is really good at interviews and resumes, it could mean he or she does it many times over and are always looking for work, they may not be a good fit and HR people know that........Good Luck