It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

nnyfan
 Post subject: Underrated Buffalo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:55 am 
Textbook Grinder

They showed Numminen in the crowd last night at the game and it got me to thinking...he still lives here! And that got me to thinking about the Jim Romes of the world that think Buffalo is a bad place for star players to come to.

So, if its so bad, how come Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly, Rob Ray, etc, etc, etc...these guys came to play in Buffalo, retired and still live here! So, Jim Rome (sp) can stick it. It must be a nice place to live or these players, who can now afford to live anywhere they want to, would move back to wherever they came from.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

...back to the coffee pot...

Squanto
 Post subject: Re: Underrated Buffalo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:22 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I ignore Rome and Cowherd when they bash on Buffalo, say we're not 'relevant' or whatever.

We have relevance in the world of pro-sports because we have pro teams. The teams THEMSELVES may not be relevant, but that's mixing arguments.

I also could give a fuck what they think about this area. I live here, I enjoy it here. That's what matters to me.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:33 am 
Sober enough to run a server

I live among movie stars and the glitz and glamor of Hollywood and I'd rather be in Buffalo...

People that hate on Buffalo probably haven't spent much time there. That, or they're assholes so they got treated like assholes when they did visit ;)

acrossthelines
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:18 am 
Superstar Goalie

Buffalo is a wonderful place to live, but not a great place to visit. People judge cities most of the time by how much there is to do for tourists and how enjoyable all of it is, and the best things that Buffalo does have are not advertised, so they never know about them.

It's annoying.

‎"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Khalil Gibran

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:41 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
I ignore Rome and Cowherd when they bash on Buffalo, say we're not 'relevant' or whatever.

We have relevance in the world of pro-sports because we have pro teams. The teams THEMSELVES may not be relevant, but that's mixing arguments.

I also could give a fuck what they think about this area. I live here, I enjoy it here. That's what matters to me.

Well Cowherd equates relevancy to market size and ratings. Locally, we probably beat anyone out there. On a national scale, and The Herd reaches a nation audience, people just don't want to hear about Buffalo.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:45 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Well Cowherd equates relevancy to market size and ratings.

I agree, and I think that's a flawed view on it.

He basically thinks that if a sports market isn't a ratings draw for national sports radio, they don't mean anything. By his definition, nobody would matter except SoCal, NYC, Boston, and Dallas.

He says what he needs to say. Gives an ego boosting handjob to the major markets, and pisses off the smaller ones by saying they're meaningless. Gets his ratings coming and going.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:52 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Well Cowherd equates relevancy to market size and ratings.

I agree, and I think that's a flawed view on it.

He basically thinks that if a sports market isn't a ratings draw for national sports radio, they don't mean anything. By his definition, nobody would matter except SoCal, NYC, Boston, and Dallas.

He says what he needs to say. Gives an ego boosting handjob to the major markets, and pisses off the smaller ones by saying they're meaningless. Gets his ratings coming and going.

Sorry, but if you listen to him, he's talked about the Bills plenty, and I am not even including this year. He was all over us last year and had us as a playoff team.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:55 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Sorry, but if you listen to him, he's talked about the Bills plenty, and I am not even including this year. He was all over us last year and had us as a playoff team.

Well sure, last year he talked up the Bills when they were 5-1 along with the rest of the national sports media. Rome had Trent on like 3 times. Once they lost a few games? Not a peep.

I'm probably a little biased on Cowherd. He says a lot of shit that I just think is unintelligent and there for ratings.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:01 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:

Well sure, last year he talked up the Bills when they were 5-1 along with the rest of the national sports media. Rome had Trent on like 3 times. Once they lost a few games? Not a peep.

I'm probably a little biased on Cowherd. He says a lot of shit that I just think is unintelligent and there for ratings.

I'm talking more preseason. He had us as the fifth or sixth seed last year when everyone else was talking up the Browns.

Cowherd is one of the best there is. He is immaculately prepared, he is the least biased personality, he is funny, fairly current with pop culture despite being in his mid forties. What he is able to do, that is essentially have a one sided conversation with his audience for four hours, never ceases to amaze me.

Everyone plays to ratings, that's what the entertainment business is. Everyone wants to get noticed. That's why sportscenter has their stupid flashy graphics, why half of what Bill Simmons writes is complete and utter crap, why Erin Andrews has a job.

Wozniak
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:11 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

nnyfan wrote:
They showed Numminen in the crowd last night at the game and it got me to thinking...he still lives here! And that got me to thinking about the Jim Romes of the world that think Buffalo is a bad place for star players to come to.

So, if its so bad, how come Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly, Rob Ray, etc, etc, etc...these guys came to play in Buffalo, retired and still live here! So, Jim Rome (sp) can stick it. It must be a nice place to live or these players, who can now afford to live anywhere they want to, would move back to wherever they came from.

they are still in buffalo because their families are situated here. kids, friends, etc because they spent so much time playing here. this isnt really out of the norm for athletes (to settle where ever they played the most/first played).

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

nnyfan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:39 pm 
Textbook Grinder

Wozniak wrote:
nnyfan wrote:

they are still in buffalo because their families are situated here. kids, friends, etc because they spent so much time playing here. this isnt really out of the norm for athletes (to settle where ever they played the most/first played).

Right...but if it were as bad as the Romes say is it, they would move as soon as they could...is what I'm saying...

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:09 pm 
Star Sniper

nnyfan wrote:

A great many Sabres Alumni live in the Buffalo region that I know of; I'm sure others do as well. Players like Dionne and Sittler live (or did) here, and neither played for The Sabres. Wilf Paiement lives here, yet only played one year here.
Harry Neale has lived here for years; I used to see him at Dash's (Bells) quite frequently in the 90's.......

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

MakinItLookMean
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:21 pm 
Power Forward

i never cared for Rome...kind of gave me a headache anytime i used to try and watch him

Tyler Myers - Future captain of the Buffalo Sabres, and future Norris Trophy Winner

Manning the machine gun on the Tyler Myers Bandwagon - just in case any teams have an idea of prying him away from us (3 GM's shot already)

Connolly/Roy - 2 goals in the last 47 playoff games

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:30 pm 
i was listening to the Phoenix announcers when Teppo was in the cam and they said how great it was because he is a former Coyote...not once did they mention he just retired as a Sabre or that he lived in Buffalo. Only that he was a Coyote and came to the game to see them and say hi to old friends.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:31 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Rome is really annoying and he has a William Shatner-esque way of speaking. He sounds like the meathead that wasn't actually any good at any sports, but hung around with all the jocks.