It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
fly as hale
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:32 pm 
Mrs. Miller

With the Bills and Sabres troubles, things aren't going so great in Buffalo right now... Buffalonians know too well what it feels like to be down on their luck, but check out this incredible video about Buffalo. It was presented by the Buffalo Niagara Convention & Visitors Bureau and they did a fanstastic job...check it out:

Hockey Night in Buffalo

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:10 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Great video.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:35 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Great video.

yes.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:16 am 
Sober enough to run a server

Fuckin A

useful fictions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:03 pm 
Brawler

buffalo mattered. then the centerpiece of our park system was dissected by 198, and then the overabundance of parking lots/ramps started marginalizing the claims of what should be considered great architecture.

mismanagement? perhaps, but i argue that similar things have been done before in many great cities. i'd just chalk it up to human error. we think we matter, then something better comes along.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:37 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

You must be fun at parties

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:42 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Crosscheck wrote:

lol

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:12 pm 
Mrs. Miller

Crosscheck wrote:

lol for real

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:16 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

useful fictions wrote:
buffalo mattered. then the centerpiece of our park system was dissected by 198, and then the overabundance of parking lots/ramps started marginalizing the claims of what should be considered great architecture.

mismanagement? perhaps, but i argue that similar things have been done before in many great cities. i'd just chalk it up to human error. we think we matter, then something better comes along.

partykiller :character-jason: :occasion-partyblower:

useful fictions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:01 pm 
Brawler

yeah, i guess so. i love buffalo, but i hate what's been going on with the development and preservation of it for quite some time. i've only been alive 25 years, but buffalo has become the victim of far worse than a loss of industrial/manufacturing jobs as a result of postindustrial development.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:08 pm 
Mrs. Miller

We all know that... Most people know that. Buffalo is far from perfect and the city has suffered because of that. But this video is supposed to showcase that despite all the hardships and mismanagement this city has faced, there is optimism and uniqueness about this city that we should all be proud of.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Squanto
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:21 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Sometimes it better to appreciate what you have instead of whining about what you don't.

Or you can just be emo about it.

Mistakes have been made in our city. Mistakes have been made in every city. Shit happens.

This is my home. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes stupid shit happens by our planners and politicians. But it's still my home. I love it here. No amount of whining and complaining about mistakes is going to change that.

I love what we have, not what we don't.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:23 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

fly as hale wrote:
We all know that... Most people know that. Buffalo is far from perfect and the city has suffered because of that. But this video is supposed to showcase that despite all the hardships and mismanagement this city has faced, there is optimism and uniqueness about this city that we should all be proud of.

+9,001

useful fictions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:53 am 
Brawler

i'd love to be happy with things as they are. change isn't started by those who remain content with what they have, unfortunately.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:01 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I never said anyone should be content with anything. I said you should be proud of what we have here.

There's a difference.

useful fictions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:11 am 
Brawler

i'm not trying to start an argument, because we all share that we don't hate buffalo in common. however, being proud of what there is can be one thing, but suggesting that we don't complain about what we don't have in conjunction with that is close enough to a call for contentment.

aside from that, as much as i love the specific aspects of historical significance that buffalo can lay claim to, there are several times as many cities that i can cite for each single positive attribute i think of regarding buffalo. i mean, cleveland has the rock 'n roll hall of fame, but that doesn't make me care about the significance of that city. i'm just being a snob now, but buffalo's history is very unimpressive, collectively. honestly, rochester really makes a more compelling case for significance in regards to history.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:20 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

useful fictions wrote:
i'm just being a snob now, but buffalo's history is very unimpressive, collectively. honestly, rochester really makes a more compelling case for significance in regards to history.

Really?

This point is so wrong it's not even worth debating.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:32 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Squanto wrote:
useful fictions wrote:
i'm just being a snob now, but buffalo's history is very unimpressive, collectively. honestly, rochester really makes a more compelling case for significance in regards to history.

Really?

This point is so wrong it's not even worth debating.

You may not, but I will.

Let's hear your more compelling case for Rochester's historically-significant superiority over Buffalo's. I want to read how hard you fall on your face.

useful fictions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:55 am 
Brawler

obviously it's subjective, but for a city that was always historically of a much smaller size, rochester has repeatedly outdone buffalo. remember, rochester's peak population has only approached the 330,000 mark while buffalo had broken the 580,000 mark.

ralph waldo emerson, susan b. anthony, emma goldman, kim gordon, george eastman, and by assocation anything related to the latter. architecturally, perhaps i can't justify any historical "superiority", but the general historical significance really outweighs buffalo, especially when relating population throughout history.

maybe buffalo's history can be underrated at times, but this argument is ridiculous. obviously i have no credibility on this forum; i never had any on the other forum either, but the only argument i can see being made is in relation to the geographical location of buffalo, which would work against it in the end.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:56 am 
Mrs. Miller

useful fictions wrote:
i'd love to be happy with things as they are. change isn't started by those who remain content with what they have, unfortunately.

So what are you doing about it?

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next