It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
useful fictions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:58 am 
Brawler

i'm working on getting out of here, because i honestly don't care anymore. i wish success upon those who do work towards something, though.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:00 am 
Mrs. Miller

Cool, smell ya later.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:06 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

useful fictions wrote:
obviously it's subjective, but for a city that was always historically of a much smaller size, rochester has repeatedly outdone buffalo. remember, rochester's peak population has only approached the 330,000 mark while buffalo had broken the 580,000 mark.

ralph waldo emerson, susan b. anthony, emma goldman, kim gordon, george eastman, and by assocation anything related to the latter. architecturally, perhaps i can't justify any historical "superiority", but the general historical significance really outweighs buffalo, especially when relating population throughout history.

maybe buffalo's history can be underrated at times, but this argument is ridiculous. obviously i have no credibility on this forum; i never had any on the other forum either, but the only argument i can see being made is in relation to the geographical location of buffalo, which would work against it in the end.

Edgar Allen Poe, Mark Twain, housing more millionaires than any other city in the country at one time, the Pan-Am, Nikola Tesla, the first movie theater, Olmsted's first parks, buildings by Frank Lloyd Wright, HH Richardson, and Louis Sullivan (one of two cities in the WORLD with that claim - this tidbit lifted from TBN), the Erie Canal, and the hub of all Great Lakes freight at one time, and (it's argued) the invention of the electric chair are all so much less significant.

useful fictions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:08 am 
Brawler

edgar allan poe, to my knowledge, never did anything significant in buffalo.

also, mark twain is also famous for saying "to commit suicide in buffalo is redundant".

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:17 am 
Mrs. Miller

You are turning this thread into negative, pompous bullshit on why you are too good for Buffalo. Whoopdeedoooo. This is brand new information!

Hockey Night in Buffalo

useful fictions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:18 am 
Brawler

to my knowledge, olmsted did niagara falls state park, which was the first national park. that doesn't mean his first parks were in buffalo. the only thing buffalo has going for it in that regard is that olmsted's contribution was a park system connected by parkways. he is known primarily for the work he did with calvert vaux regarding central and prospect parks, and for the developments he made in landscaping at several universities.

i won't argue that buffalo has some decent history, but it's not exceptional by any means.

and as for edgar allan poe, i'd take the associations he has with philly any day.

useful fictions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:22 am 
Brawler

fly as hale wrote:
You are turning this thread into negative, pompous bullshit on why you are too good for Buffalo. Whoopdeedoooo. This is brand new information!

i'm just sick of the pride everyone has in this area. i love it here... sometimes. sure, it's pretty... like anywhere else in the northeast.

i'm pompous, awesome. now allow me to be exceeded by more pompous buffalonians.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:26 am 
Mrs. Miller

useful fictions wrote:
i'm just sick of the pride everyone has in this area.

How nice! Good riddance dude. You are part of the problem. Have fun in the wonderland that is Rochester, or wherever the fuck you end up.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:28 am 
Mrs. Miller

Hockey Night in Buffalo

useful fictions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:31 am 
Brawler

philadelphia. yeah, i'll enjoy it much more there, i'm sure. people here accuse me of being pompous and claim that this is the "city of good neighbors" or talk up the friendly nature of buffalonians... talk about paradox.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:38 am 
Mrs. Miller

useful fictions wrote:
philadelphia. yeah, i'll enjoy it much more there, i'm sure. people here accuse me of being pompous and claim that this is the "city of good neighbors" or talk up the friendly nature of buffalonians... talk about paradox.

I find it very astounding that you don't get along nicely with Buffalonians, I mean, with all the nice things you have to say about the city. Very odd indeed. I'm sure Philadelphia will treat you better.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:08 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

You know what part of being a good neighbor is? NOT TELLING EVERYONE THAT WHERE THEY LIVE SUCKS DICK. Go to any other city and tell them they're crappy, and unimportant, and see what kind of reaction they give you.

I went to high school with some folks that had the same 'Buffalo sucks' attitude, although not based on the drivel that you spew. Most of them moved away the first chance they got. Out of the 10 or so I can think of, 8 of them are back, and 2 of them want to come back.

Let me know what kind of assistance you need in leaving. I can recommend a moving company or two, and depending on your line of work, I'd be glad to write a letter of recommendation. I also know plenty of realtors that would be great to work with selling your house, or helping you look for a new place in your Shiny City of Wonderful Not-Buffalo.

Or maybe we can call the Patrick Kane Cab Company, grab your shit out of your parents basement, and send you on your way.

shedoesntgetit
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:15 am 
Garbage Man

mechaphil wrote:
Squanto wrote:
useful fictions wrote:
i'm just being a snob now, but buffalo's history is very unimpressive, collectively. honestly, rochester really makes a more compelling case for significance in regards to history.

Really?

This point is so wrong it's not even worth debating.

You may not, but I will.

Let's hear your more compelling case for Rochester's historically-significant superiority over Buffalo's. I want to read how hard you fall on your face.

all i have to say is kodak, bausch and lomb, and xerox. rochester is pretty damn historically significant, even if its shit now.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:17 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I don't think anyone is trying to crap on Ra-cha-cha.

Just saying in the grand scheme of things, Buffalo has been involved in more historically significant things.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:49 am 
Sober enough to run a server

useful fictions wrote:
to my knowledge, olmsted did niagara falls state park, which was the first national park.

No, it's not.
The National park system didn't exist until 1916.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:01 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

It's also not a national park.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:07 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Squanto wrote:
It's also not a national park.

I was trying to imply that ;)

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:08 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Heh, sorry. Haven't gone to Horton's yet. :p

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:42 pm 
Hart Winner

Hmm. Why do my neighbors in Buffalo hate me? All I said was Buffalo sucks and I fucking hate it here, and compared to Rochester it's shit. I wonder...?

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:13 pm 
Captain Dynasty

useful fictions wrote:

i'm just sick of the pride everyone has in this area. i love it here... sometimes. sure, it's pretty... like anywhere else in the northeast.

Are you seriously this unaware of what a complete fucking asshole you are? You're sick of people being proud of where they're from? Seriously? You're that much of a dick that you actually dislike when people feel good about themselves about something that every single media personality tells them they should feel like shit about? Wow, that's pretty crappy of you.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next