It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

mechaphil
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:30 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Hey older fantasy dorks, anyone familiar with Robert Howard and Michael Moorcock? I'm getting to the point where I want to start reading Joshua some epic fantasy but I can't think of anyone age appropriate for a 6 year old besides Tolkien and CS Lewis.

So, what kind of fantasy is age appropriate for a 6/7/8 year old?

Wozniak
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:40 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

mechaphil wrote:
Hey older fantasy dorks, anyone familiar with Robert Howard and Michael Moorcock? I'm getting to the point where I want to start reading Joshua some epic fantasy but I can't think of anyone age appropriate for a 6 year old besides Tolkien and CS Lewis.

So, what kind of fantasy is age appropriate for a 6/7/8 year old?

the star wars novels?

i dont know, im not much of a reader.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:41 pm 
Star Sniper

Sorry, I'm a dick...

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:20 am 
Superstar Goalie

Having the same issues man. Some shorter ones would be the Spiderwick Chronicles or the Cirque du Freak series. Spiderwick is good for his age. Cirque du Freak is for tweens but what boy doesn't like werewolves and vampires all mixed with comedy? The Narnia series was my first series.....and of course there are the first few Harry potters which were written more for the younger crowd and got more advanced as they went along.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:52 am 
PP Quarterback

the wizard of oz series.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:28 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Penthouse Forum will get his imagination going.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:58 am 
Superstar Goalie

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Penthouse Forum will get his imagination going.

:lol:

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm 
Hart Winner

Too bad the bible isn't age appropriate.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:37 pm 
Superstar Goalie

BlueandYellow wrote:

:roll:

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:53 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

BlueandYellow wrote:

Congratulations, you get today's unnecessarily rude award.

Wear it with pride.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:59 pm 
Star Sniper

My mom handed me a bottle of scotch and the sports section when I was 6.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:21 pm 
Superstar Goalie

BlueandYellow wrote:

I was going to quote like twenty random posts of yours about how you claim to be christian or claim to "not know" when it's clever for you. I decided I'd delete all that and just say: STOP

We get it. You have a fucked up relationship with your faith...leave it off our boards. This and at least a dozen other threads have been turned sour from your needlessly injected and badly formed thoughts on religion. Phil wants advice on what to read his child that may fall into "fantasy" genre (dragons, wizards etc etc.) You also know from other threads that he isn't exactly cracking the Bible every night before bed. So back off. Get the fuck out.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:28 pm 
PP Quarterback

Displaced Fan wrote:
I was going to quote like twenty random posts of yours about how you claim to be christian or claim to "not know" when it's clever for you. I decided I'd delete all that and just say: STOP

We get it. You have a fucked up relationship with your faith...leave it off our boards. This and at least a dozen other threads have been turned sour from your needlessly injected and badly formed thoughts on religion. Phil wants advice on what to read his child that may fall into "fantasy" genre (dragons, wizards etc etc.) You also know from other threads that he isn't exactly cracking the Bible every night before bed. So back off. Get the fuck out.

thank god. have a beer on me for doing what i wanted to do, but far more politely.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:54 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

And to address the question seriously, I think Tolkien is what made the genre what it is today, and that The Hobbit is as good a place as any to start. But I'm really not a fantasy reader so take that with a grain of salt. A serious fantasy reader might laugh at that suggestion.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:03 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Phil: These might be a bit more on the older kid side but to keep in mind none the less. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and the Drizzt books by R.A. Salvatore. They're long but say, four to six years from now your boy will get lost in those books for years and love it. The Wheel of Time series is just now wrapping up after...shit like 15 years or more. Straight up D&D kinda stuff and even now as an old nerd I go back and re-read them from time to time. The Drizzt series are also very long and are broken up into three books in a couple series then solo sequels too. A more age appropriate series (also by R.A. Salvatore) is the Cleric Quintet which is outside of the Drizzt series (Drizzt is the main character of Salvatore's main series). It has more humor and being shorter may be more up your alley at his age now. Shorter reads and a little less blood and guts. Here's some links:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/R.A._Salvatore : this is an over view but you may want to dig to read the books in either the order they were written or their chronilogical order in story terms since he did write a bit out or order sometimes.

http://www.dragonmount.com/ Here's the Jordan link. Robert Jordan actually died a few years back and Sanderson is finishing up the novels. A great and EPIC story man....like 14-16 books which most are like 6-8 hundred pages or more.

Montalo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:04 pm 
PP Quarterback

Deltora QUest, at least from personal experience, might be good

It MAY be a little advanced, but its somewhat hard to judge. If it is, its just barely, and mabye a year or so would do it

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
And to address the question seriously, I think Tolkien is what made the genre what it is today, and that The Hobbit is as good a place as any to start. But I'm really not a fantasy reader so take that with a grain of salt. A serious fantasy reader might laugh at that suggestion.

The Hobbit is a great read but for as iconic as it is, I never felt compelled to read it a second time. The whole series was fun but nothing that really "changed" me or whatever you'd call it. Some books just rope you in and the Lord of the Rings books never really did that for me. But to each their own.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:07 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

No dude, The Hobbit is the perfect jumping-off point for fantasy. It's what I had read to me as a boy, and it's what I'll be reading to my boy.

Friends of mine's input has ruled out the Conan stuff, as unbeknownst to me, it was originally hardcore 1930's serial pulp stuff. Gonna go with Tolkien, CS Lewis, the Lemony Snicket's series, and the Spiderwick Chronicles to start.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:10 pm 
Superstar Goalie

mechaphil wrote:
No dude, The Hobbit is the perfect jumping-off point for fantasy. It's what I had read to me as a boy, and it's what I'll be reading to my boy.

Friends of mine's input has ruled out the Conan stuff, as unbeknownst to me, it was originally hardcore 1930's serial pulp stuff. Gonna go with Tolkien, CS Lewis, the Lemony Snicket's series, and the Spiderwick Chronicles to start.

Forgot about that one....very good series.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:51 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

yeah...the Hobbit is an easy read and a great introduction to Tolkien's world...if he likes it then you can dive into the series, if not, you haven't wasted much time ;)