It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:26 pm 
Captain Dynasty

My gf is an applied networking and systems admin major at RIT graduating this year, and looking for work. Since I don't really understand her major or what she wants to do all that well, I figured I'd come here since there are plenty of people who do and might know where to look for jobs.

This is her objective:
CCNA certified Applied Networking and Systems Administration student at Rochester Institute of Technology with an interest in service provider technologies seeking a full-time position providing customer and network support after graduation in May 2012.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:37 pm 
Superstar Goalie

She's got her CCNA? What does she want to do? Networking? Server support? Does she want to work for an Internet Service Provider?

Where does she want to work (location-wise....Buffalo, Rochester?)

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:10 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Her dream job isat Cisco in Raleigh, "supporting IOS-XR devices in a lab environment." (I copy-pasted that because I have no idea what it means.) She said there weren't any NY companies at the career fair and I know a lot of people here either do similar things or work at companies that do similar things and figured they'd have more insight than her or I would.

City isn't really a huge issue for her. She has chronic pain issues, arthritis, joint inflammation, and a thyroid deficiency which makes her much more comfortable in cold weather than warm weather so the north is preferable, but not a requirement. I know she doesn't want to live in Rochester, NJ, OH, CT, CA, FL, TX. She has a horse that she wants to stable, so any enormous cities where there isn't nearby ruralness are out. Obviously Buffalo has a lot going for it, and would be ideal, though more to me than to her.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:19 am 
PP Quarterback

does she keep her horse alone? horses don't do well by themselves.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:27 am 
Superstar Goalie

CV - can you just post her resume? A recent grad is (unfortunately) going to have to take a low(ish) level position, unless she's got some impressive internships and references...

She's going to remain unemployed if she wants to live in the north but doesn't want to live in Rochester, NJ, OH, or CT, though Delaware does have quite a few job openings in the IT market (I say the whole state because it's like 6 miles across), and I know Boston is pretty decent.

Why is Rochester "out"? It's got the rural area needed for her horse, the close-to-home feel, and two VERY large companies (Xerox and Paychex)...

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:32 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Cisco used to have a decent sized office with a lab in Rochester. They used to lab for sales demos, and troubleshooting. For example, someone would have a problem with their stuff, they'd have a ticket open, and the engineers would have lower level folks duplicate the network setup in the lab so they could troubleshoot the problem.

I don't know if it's still there anymore because I don't deal directly with Cisco anymore.

If she wants to support IOS-XR, she's going to have a hard time doing it with just her CCNA. XR runs on carrier grade stuff (CRS-1, 12000 series), and requires more advanced knowledge than the CCNA itself provides. A CCNP is a better base for that, unless she already knows BGP and MPLS like that back of her hand. (Not to sound like a dick, but she probably doesn't.)

(If you haven't noticed, this is what I do for a living. :) )

classclownfish
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:14 am 
Rink Rat

CV's GF here. Nice to meet you all. I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to register.

@PatGreen - Nah, I plan on keeping her at a boarding stable. That's what I've done before and it's worked out well. I've had horses since I was 2 so I know they need company. If things work out, I'd like to have my own stable with a barn full of ponies but that's way in the future.

@NYIntensity - I've lived in Rochester for four years now and I can't find a single likable thing about it except that it's only an hour away from CV. I don't aspire to work for Paychex or Xerox either.

@Squanto - I have worked in Cisco's CALO labs before - I did a 7 month co-op rotation there two years back. I worked with the IOX TAC team and got to work with a handful of IOX devices. That's where I fell in love with the CRS and 12k's and decided that's what I want to do with the rest of my life. I know I need more certs and TONS more knowledge, but I am crazy determined. The CSE's on the team I want to be on - mind you, there's only about 5 of them - have at least 1 if not 2 or more CCIE certs. I have my CCNA, but I plan on going up to my CCIE and CCIE SP in time. I'm studying BGP and MPLS both in-class and in preparation for my CCNP, so I'm aware of the kind of work I'm gonna have to put in to make this job a reality for myself.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:19 am 
PP Quarterback

classclownfish wrote:
@PatGreen - Nah, I plan on keeping her at a boarding stable. That's what I've done before and it's worked out well. I've had horses since I was 2 so I know they need company. If things work out, I'd like to have my own stable with a barn full of ponies but that's way in the future.

Worst case scenario, goats are really good friends for most cattle and horses usually like them. Much cheaper to feed and maintain than more ponies./.02

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:44 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

classclownfish wrote:
@Squanto - I have worked in Cisco's CALO labs before - I did a 7 month co-op rotation there two years back. I worked with the IOX TAC team and got to work with a handful of IOX devices. That's where I fell in love with the CRS and 12k's and decided that's what I want to do with the rest of my life. I know I need more certs and TONS more knowledge, but I am crazy determined. The CSE's on the team I want to be on - mind you, there's only about 5 of them - have at least 1 if not 2 or more CCIE certs. I have my CCNA, but I plan on going up to my CCIE and CCIE SP in time. I'm studying BGP and MPLS both in-class and in preparation for my CCNP, so I'm aware of the kind of work I'm gonna have to put in to make this job a reality for myself.

Cool. If you worked in CALO, have your CCNA, and graduating with a BS you're already ahead of where I was when I stated. I got my CCNA when I was doing phone support for Adelphia. I had to leave there to make any actual use of it.

If you're already studying for your NP, you're on the right path. My best advice would be to pick up a 19" rack, even the short one, and look for routers on eBay and such. Start building yourself a home lab, because by the time you want to start on your IE you'll need it. That IE is basically a doctorate in networking. You get that, and you'll never make less than $120k anywhere in the world.

I'm still deciding what direction I want to go. My company now is sorta doing the slow circle around the drain, but I'm being paid well and won't actually have my BS for another year-ish, so my mobility is somewhat limited. That and the Buffalo market is fairly saturated with network folks, so it's hard to really demand good salary and such. I've also specialized myself a little too much here. I built one datacenter merging 3 others, can network your toilet to your toaster if you give me 20 minutes, and can do all kinds of crazy PBX stuff, but my Windows administration skills have gone to shit, and 95% of people who want 'network administrator' mean 'Windows administrator'.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:53 am 
PP Quarterback

Squanto wrote:
can network your toilet

are you saying you want to handle my ballcock?

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:57 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

PatGreen wrote:
Squanto wrote:
can network your toilet

are you saying you want to handle my ballcock?

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:26 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Squanto wrote:
...but my Windows administration skills have gone to shit, and 95% of people who want 'network administrator' mean 'Windows administrator'.

Yep - and that's pretty good for guys like me ;)

It is frustrating as hell though, because a "network" administrator, IMO, is a GODDAMN NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR. Not a systems admin...

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:06 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

NYIntensity wrote:
Squanto wrote:
...but my Windows administration skills have gone to shit, and 95% of people who want 'network administrator' mean 'Windows administrator'.

Yep - and that's pretty good for guys like me ;)

It is frustrating as hell though, because a "network" administrator, IMO, is a GODDAMN NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR. Not a systems admin...

THANK YOU.

It seems like the only people who understand that are people in the industry. Recruiters and HR folks see 'network' and just assume it means PC / domain support.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:39 am 
Sober enough to run a server

Pursue a CCIE and move west ;)

Only half joking...the volume of opportunities is just larger out here.
I spent the formative years of my career in Silicon valley and it was an invaluable experience.

I'd say a CCNA and internship experience probably won't get you in the the position you want right away, but you could probably climb up somewhere quickly once you have your foot in the door.

Oh, real sys-admins don't do windows support either guys ;)

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:32 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Or Citrix...just sayin...

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:51 pm 
Superstar Goalie

CV - check your PMs

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:22 am 
Superstar Goalie

Quote:
Sr. Network Engineer - LAN / WAN Integration & Support

Working within a leading WNY IT Managed Service Provider, in a Data Center environment, as part of a team, in a structured environment, this position will be responsible to work closely with the business line providing Mid to Sr. Level Local & Wide Area Network Enterprise Architect Planning, Design, Implementation & Support of LAN, WAN Production & Remote Disaster Recovery solutions. This is a full time, permanent position, compensation range is commensurate with experience, includes full, competitive, benefits.

Position Requirements:

Must currently reside in the Western New York area
5+ years of Network Integration & Support experience
Strong IP & Network Infrastructure design, implementation & support skills
Strong WAN Cisco and/or Nortel Router Integration experience
Stong Layer 3 Switch VLAN experience
Checkpoint & Cisco Firewall support experience
Internet Content filter experieince a plus
Windows, Terminal Server & Citrix experience skills a plus
On Call 24x7x365 support rotation is required
After Hours Data Center Maintenance Window support is required
Strong customer service skills
Strong desire to learn, grow & add value

She interested?

classclownfish
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:40 pm 
Rink Rat

NYIntensity - That sounds pretty good, but I think it's a little out of my skill range right now as they want 5+ years experience. Thanks for the link though.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:28 am 
Superstar Goalie

Don't sell yourself short...it's not going to hurt to apply/talk to the recruiter.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:18 am 
Superstar Goalie

Here's another one (in Olean)

Quote:
Network Engineer - Permanent - Olean, NY
A growing and stable healthcare client is seeking an experienced enterprise-level Network Engineer for their Windows Environment. This client consists of 2 main hospitals, and about twenty auxiliary sites. They have roughly 250 servers and 2,800 Active Directory Users. Phone systems include Cisco and Avaya. This is a great opportunity for a "Jack of All Trades" Networking Engineer!

Keywords/Skills:
Active Directory
Network Administration
Enterprise Environment
Cisco
3 Com Network
Avaya VoIP

Salary: DOE
Benefits: Full