It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Displaced Fan
 Post subject: Sabres Junkie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Hey everyone. Anyone who has been on these and the previous boards for a few years knows that we are hurting for posters right now. Long time posters haven't been here in a long time.

I think it started a long time ago but now that the Sabres are shitting the bed in a royal and impressive fashion, it makes it even worse. Here are a few of the things I saw happen:

1. People were shitting on each other in the political threads with zero respect. No one could say anything in there without someone with different opinions ripping into them. There was no debate, no discussion just out right "F**K YOUR FACE I THINK YOU'RE AN IDIOT!!!!" It started in the last primaries and now these new ones are vamping up and I'm worried that the polarized news networks will leak over here again. Also, anytime someone would say something, some random member would jump in saying "Hey, why do you hate gays/christians/republicans/hippies/dog owners etc etc." then go on some huge internet tirade akin to the "Leave Britney ALONE!!!" clip. (Back then I would had someone jump on me for not capitalizing christians...it actually happened once.)

2. Some of the fun stuff like ECC's bar thread which was pretty funny or the Hottie Madness voting stopped.

3. Could we advertise somewhere? Are there Sabres related sites that we could ask to pop up a little "Hey Sabres fans! Here's a place for you!!"

I don't have many great ideas but I wanted to open it up.

-Pat

ksquier89
 Post subject: Re: Sabres Junkie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:25 pm 
PP Quarterback

I found out about this place by simply going on the Sabres website forum I noticed it was seriously lacking posters and someone asked where everyone was and someone posted on this site.

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:43 pm 
resident car guy

As far as advertising ideas, I would shoot for a number of the Sabres bloggers. The organization has started to place an emphasis on blogging, so I'd focus on a few that generate the most traffic and talk to them about advertising. I don't foresee them having huge fees.

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:30 pm 
Captain Clutch

Displaced Fan wrote:
1. People were shitting on each other in the political threads with zero respect. No one could say anything in there without someone with different opinions ripping into them. There was no debate, no discussion just out right "F**K YOUR FACE I THINK YOU'RE AN IDIOT!!!!" It started in the last primaries and now these new ones are vamping up and I'm worried that the polarized news networks will leak over here again. Also, anytime someone would say something, some random member would jump in saying "Hey, why do you hate gays/christians/republicans/hippies/dog owners etc etc." then go on some huge internet tirade akin to the "Leave Britney ALONE!!!" clip. (Back then I would had someone jump on me for not capitalizing christians...it actually happened once.)

This just hasn't been happening in the political threads but the Sabres ones too. I have been attacked for my opinion on several occasions with out provocation. The good thing is, it's only certain members who have done this. Most of the few left are good people who are willing to debate opinions civilly. At least on the Sabres threads, I can't say anything on the political ones since I try and avoid them like the plague. That particular topic has been a cancer of this board since it's inception. I know people love to debate politics but I would be happy to see it removed completely. That is a big reason why we had a mass exodus of veteran members a couple years ago

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:39 pm 
MegaDouche

sabresindc wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:

This just hasn't been happening in the political threads but the Sabres ones too. I have been attacked for my opinion on several occasions with out provocation. The good thing is, it's only certain members who have done this. Most of the few left are good people who are willing to debate opinions civilly. At least on the Sabres threads, I can't say anything on the political ones since I try and avoid them like the plague. That particular topic has been a cancer of this board since it's inception. I know people love to debate politics but I would be happy to see it removed completely. That is a big reason why we had a mass exodus of veteran members a couple years ago

This is why we wanted to let the users take control. The report post button should be used as much as everyone feels something is going on that shouldn't.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:53 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

sabresindc wrote:
I can't say anything on the political ones since I try and avoid them like the plague. That particular topic has been a cancer of this board since it's inception. I know people love to debate politics but I would be happy to see it removed completely. That is a big reason why we had a mass exodus of veteran members a couple years ago

I know there's been a debate about having politics on the board from the beginning. However, this is just not what happened from what I see. The "mass exodus" was about US vs. Canada HOCKEY and the fallout from all the interpersonal relationships whose problems came to a head over that. ETC and I used to be polar opposites and butt heads in the political threads all the time, but we managed to coexist until he and the others left over, again, hockey and in-fighting. Crosscheck, Yankee, NYInsensity, Displaced Fan, PatGreen, Zilla, 1980, Backthatassup, Bagboy, even irony and CV...all those people and more I feel I've gotten to know more through the political threads than the hockey ones, and they are some of the people I'm most fond of. I just don't see politics as this big divisive force here.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:56 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I was wondering when the elephant in the room would be addressed...

I think the boiling point for some of the long time posters, who have since moved on can be traced back to the fact that when (As DF mentioned) a sensible hockey question is posed, some were slammed and put down for their views as opposed to hearing each other out and discussing things as grown ups. I think what has been lost along the way or neglected, is the mutual respect we have for each other. It's easy to sit behind a screen and rip someone apart for their views/beliefs on any topic because you may be 3000 miles away from said person and may never see them face to face. To be fair, there has been a lot of unjust shit slinging in recent months that I know has driven at least one person away. Granted, I myself have never ventured into the political/religious debates, but given what has been seen in many hockey threads, it may be safe to assume that this has taken place in other areas of the board. I'm not saying we should all sit in a circle and sing campfire songs or some other kind of happy bullshit. There is something to be said of a good debate and sure, shit can get heated sometimes. But what needs to be kept in mind is you may not agree with what Bobby is saying and maybe Sue wants to frolic around this place completely naked. People may not agree on everything, but we should respect each other and where we are coming from. Especially if someone wants to run around naked. It's worked in the past…

Aside from any, "Personal attacks" that may have taken place, another thing that could have an impact on lower numbers, could be every day life. For some, it may not be possible to join in on any discussions during what used to be peak posting times like the GDT's. I remember seeing 14 pages on any given night, but now we're hitting around 3-4 (If we're lucky). Work, not being at a computer, stuck in the bathroom because someone is threatening your life with a toilet plunger...all of these could have some kind of impact on our attendance.

Aside from our team sucking some pretty big, sweaty, crusty balls right now, these are just some ideas as to what has happened. And, maybe none of these have any impact as to why some people have left. Maybe, just maybe... I have no clue as to what I'm talking about. Shit, I may not even be wearing pants right now. But I know I'd love to see some of the peeps who will read this and who have taken a leave of absence, come back to the friendly (and sometimes dysfunctional ;) ) confines of XC's house.

We all came together here for a reason, why not try to find what brought us here in the first place and go back to that?

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:02 pm 
Captain Clutch

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
I can't say anything on the political ones since I try and avoid them like the plague. That particular topic has been a cancer of this board since it's inception. I know people love to debate politics but I would be happy to see it removed completely. That is a big reason why we had a mass exodus of veteran members a couple years ago

I know there's been a debate about having politics on the board from the beginning. However, this is just not what happened from what I see. The "mass exodus" was about US vs. Canada HOCKEY and the fallout from all the interpersonal relationships whose problems came to a head over that. ETC and I used to be polar opposites and butt heads in the political threads all the time, but we managed to coexist until he and the others left over, again, hockey and in-fighting. Crosscheck, Yankee, NYInsensity, Displaced Fan, PatGreen, Zilla, 1980, Backthatassup, Bagboy, even irony and CV...all those people and more I feel I've gotten to know more through the political threads than the hockey ones, and they are some of the people I'm most fond of. I just don't see politics as this big divisive force here.

True, that was a big catalyst (along with certain members who are no longer active) for the mass exodus but I know that the political debates cause major issues too. I'm not completely against the political thread if people learn that people have their own opinions and respect that. Obviously with DF's post there has been some significant fights recently in that thread. I wouldn't be surprised if the same members causing strife in the political threads are the same who are causing the same in the Sabres threads.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:03 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I left for a long time because of the political thread. I was a member on the old boards and here for a couple thousand posts then left. I came back after a heart to heart with Phil when I was home. I love this forum and I think that talking politics here has done way more harm than good. It was down to a "left vs. right" knife fight during the last primaries and after Obama was sworn in. Crazy fights over everything he did or didn't do. Everyone had an opinion and from pm's with veteran posters I can say that it was a huge reason this place isn't what it used to be. With the primaries vamping up now I think we should just do away with it completely and stem off the hemorrhaging. I have been wanting to post in their SOOOOO badly about some of the nut jobs running on the GOP's side but just didn't because I know it would end up like a grade school fight. So what's the point? It is there to discuss politics....regardless of what we tell people it always devolves into tactless internet tantrums.....it has driven members away....what is the value of it again?

As for new members or getting back old ones I think we should connect through facebook to them and try and get hold of some bloggers and get the word out there that this place is a great place for "displaced" fans (hahaha) and those still at home alike. I miss having a million pages in each GDT...well I also miss having a team I can root for but I can't do anything about that sadly.

AudSabres
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:08 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Displaced Fan wrote:
I also miss having a team I can root for but I can't do anything about that sadly.

Use your imagination, man!

:lol:

He's a middling AHL player who had the good fortune of a drunk arbitrator. - The Squanto re: Tim Kennedy

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:12 pm 
Superstar Goalie

AudSabres wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
I also miss having a team I can root for but I can't do anything about that sadly.

Hahaha....it sucks soooooo bad. I moved to Hampton VA and right across the street is a guy from Gowanda with Sabres flags up. He started coming over to watch the games and he was pretty excited to have someone else to watch them with who wouldn't bat an eye when he yelled at the tv. Now we kind of sit here and drink...and mumble at the tv.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:14 pm 
Captain Clutch

Displaced Fan wrote:
AudSabres wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:

Hahaha....it sucks soooooo bad. I moved to Hampton VA and right across the street is a guy from Gowanda with Sabres flags up. He started coming over to watch the games and he was pretty excited to have someone else to watch them with who wouldn't bat an eye when he yelled at the tv. Now we kind of sit here and drink...and mumble at the tv.

LOL, at least being in Hampton you should be fairly close to Tim Hortons. There are two in Va Beach/Norfolk area

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:19 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Well, obviously I tend to see things the way I'd like to, so maybe I'm totally off-base as to the importance of politics. I'd like to think we can disagree and still get along, but maybe that's too idealistic. I know I make no bones about expressing my feelings on most issues, and I'm sure that makes me abrassive to some.

Long story short, I'm not in the "in" about people's feelings, and I don't want to spoil anyone's fun. If popular sentiment is for getting rid of politics, I won't complain.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:22 pm 
Captain Clutch

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Well, obviously I tend to see things the way I'd like to, so maybe I'm totally off-base as to the importance of politics. I'd like to think we can disagree and still get along, but maybe that's too idealistic. I know I make no bones about expressing my feelings on most issues, and I'm sure that makes me abrassive to some.

Long story short, I'm not in the "in" about people's feelings, and I don't want to spoil anyone's fun. If popular sentiment is for getting rid of politics, I won't complain.

nah, it was just a suggestion which I doubt will be taken seriously especially since alot of people like those discussions. I guess it just needs to be sticky moderated to make sure there is no personal attacks.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:22 pm 
PP Quarterback

yeah i don't have much of a problem with politics. i actually like shooting the shit. creates more of a buddy at the bar atmosphere...we're not a large community and probably won't ever be.

Yhoshi
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:41 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I really hope for more traffic ... especially the GDT must be more popular again. most european members came to sabresjunkie cause of the GDTs.
the politics thread is great as long you don't post, read or even know about it.

btw
you look for a sabres messageboard - find sabresjunkie - look at the GDTs - oh no it's nearly dead - you don't care about the traffic in other threads and don't visit this site again.

I think the GDT is a hockeyboards' visiting/business/calling card - whatever :)

ksquier89
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:26 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:
AudSabres wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:

LOL, at least being in Hampton you should be fairly close to Tim Hortons. There are two in Va Beach/Norfolk area

You get Timmy's? :o I am a bit north and there is no such thing around these parts. I may need to take a roadtrip.

But back to the politics part. Take a seriously look at yourself in the mirror and ask if you can handle being offended and have peope take shots at you.If you cannot leave emotions at the door then it probably is not the best environment for you to be in. I do not mind being called out because hearing the other side of my thought process makes me a more well rouned person. But if shuttin 'er down for awhile brings back posters then so be it.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:57 pm 
Captain Clutch

ksquier89 wrote:
You get Timmy's? :o I am a bit north and there is no such thing around these parts. I may need to take a roadtrip.

Attachments:
timmy ho's va.jpg
timmy ho's va.jpg [ 145.64 KiB | Viewed 5462 times ]

ksquier89
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:02 pm 
PP Quarterback

sabresindc wrote:
ksquier89 wrote:

We need to meet up somewhere and catch a game. I am down for a meet and greet if you are. I know Displaced is around your neck of the woods as well.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:22 pm 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
sabresindc wrote:

d'awww. I like you, too. :)