Please click here to view the forum rules

daz28
 Post subject: Re: Sabres Junkie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:43 pm 
Star Sniper

backthatSASSup wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
I can't say anything on the political ones since I try and avoid them like the plague. That particular topic has been a cancer of this board since it's inception. I know people love to debate politics but I would be happy to see it removed completely. That is a big reason why we had a mass exodus of veteran members a couple years ago

I know there's been a debate about having politics on the board from the beginning. However, this is just not what happened from what I see. The "mass exodus" was about US vs. Canada HOCKEY and the fallout from all the interpersonal relationships whose problems came to a head over that. ETC and I used to be polar opposites and butt heads in the political threads all the time, but we managed to coexist until he and the others left over, again, hockey and in-fighting. Crosscheck, Yankee, NYInsensity, Displaced Fan, PatGreen, Zilla, 1980, Backthatassup, Bagboy, even irony and CV...all those people and more I feel I've gotten to know more through the political threads than the hockey ones, and they are some of the people I'm most fond of. I just don't see politics as this big divisive force here.

d'awww. I like you, too. :)

He probably only liked you , because he thought you were backthatASS up. Simple case of mistaken identity.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:03 am 
Superstar Goalie

Hey Stuu. I just went out for the first time in three months and am hammered. okay....prefaced enough. I loved........love this site. I check it ten....forty times a day. I was knee deep in replying until I got jumped every time I defended a democratic opinion in the political thread. I left for awhile and Phil convinced me to come back...now where is Phil? I should have another 2 or 3 thousand post attached to this account. We need to do away with the polarized political thread and advertise hockey. We all like the Sabres. Period. If politics hurts the hockey side of the site...then it must die.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:48 am 
PP Quarterback

i don't think it hurts that bad. pat, don't take this the wrong way, but i think that everything in the politics thread kinda went both ways, whenever something came up. and if it was really that big of an issue, why not just avoid the politics forum?

off topic- sort of...that whole deal when the split happened after the olympics was the most juvenile thing ever. a handful of people bashed canada (understandably, i mean they were rooting for their team...harmless stuff) and then hnjfw typed the anthem when canada won, that was what started it. everybody through a tempertanrum like four year olds. then the whole banning issue. ugh.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:42 am 
PP Quarterback

daz28 wrote:
backthatSASSup wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
I can't say anything on the political ones since I try and avoid them like the plague. That particular topic has been a cancer of this board since it's inception. I know people love to debate politics but I would be happy to see it removed completely. That is a big reason why we had a mass exodus of veteran members a couple years ago

I know there's been a debate about having politics on the board from the beginning. However, this is just not what happened from what I see. The "mass exodus" was about US vs. Canada HOCKEY and the fallout from all the interpersonal relationships whose problems came to a head over that. ETC and I used to be polar opposites and butt heads in the political threads all the time, but we managed to coexist until he and the others left over, again, hockey and in-fighting. Crosscheck, Yankee, NYInsensity, Displaced Fan, PatGreen, Zilla, 1980, Backthatassup, Bagboy, even irony and CV...all those people and more I feel I've gotten to know more through the political threads than the hockey ones, and they are some of the people I'm most fond of. I just don't see politics as this big divisive force here.

d'awww. I like you, too. :)

He probably only liked you , because he thought you were backthatASS up. Simple case of mistaken identity.

Oh, fuck.... :(

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:56 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Displaced Fan wrote:
Hey Stuu. I just went out for the first time in three months and am hammered. okay....prefaced enough. I loved........love this site. I check it ten....forty times a day. I was knee deep in replying until I got jumped every time I defended a democratic opinion in the political thread. I left for awhile and Phil convinced me to come back...now where is Phil? I should have another 2 or 3 thousand post attached to this account. We need to do away with the polarized political thread and advertise hockey. We all like the Sabres. Period. If politics hurts the hockey side of the site...then it must die.

Phil hasn't been around forever. We need to bum rush him.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:00 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

PatGreen wrote:
off topic- sort of...that whole deal when the split happened after the olympics was the most juvenile thing ever. a handful of people bashed canada (understandably, i mean they were rooting for their team...harmless stuff) and then hnjfw typed the anthem when canada won, that was what started it. everybody through a tempertanrum like four year olds. then the whole banning issue. ugh.

Agreed. And the Olympics, I mean, they're supposed to be about coming together.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:36 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Displaced Fan wrote:

And as to the politics, I get it DF. I stopped posting in politics for a while because it was just this bumper-sticker sloganeering pit for a while. People bashing unions and immigrants were a particular sore points for me. But you can't make any progress avoiding things. For the most part, I've found that most people will allow in some element of common sense of you persist. Might not be worth it for you, and that would be understandable.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:39 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

backthatSASSup wrote:
Oh, fuck.... :(

:D

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:53 pm 
Captain Dynasty

theres a report post button now?

im going to use the HELL out of that button. just to be an asshole and make the mods do more work.

Wozniak
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:10 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Displaced Fan wrote:

i actually asked phil about his leaving a while back and he said that hes pretty much dropped out of almost all the forums he was involved in. didnt say why and i didnt ask.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:12 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Wozniak wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:

i actually asked phil about his leaving a while back and he said that hes pretty much dropped out of almost all the forums he was involved in. didnt say why and i didnt ask.

A few people have brought this topic up to me elsewhere so I figured I'd respond:

I left because...
I wanted to spend less time on forums and more time blogging hockey, blogging LGBT issues, and writing fiction.
Twitter, texting and IMing are easier ways to communicate and share thoughts while mobile and offer greater control.
As a bisexual individual with a transgendered partner I felt unwelcome here among the few homophobic/homo-uninformed, and many transphobic and trans-uninformed posters.
A few individual users that aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't really plan on returning, but for the sake of making this place better for those who do enjoy it, and leaving the possibility open for a place I might want to come back to in the future, I thought I'd share my thoughts.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:47 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i would like phil and alex to return. but i dont see it happening. i cant blame alex for leaving one bit. he takes those issues seriously, and some people were discussing them without thinking of consequence.

hopefully im wrong.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:17 pm 
Hart Winner

If I ever said anything along those lines I'd like to apologize. Because knowing me I most likely did.

Los9090
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:41 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I stay the hell away from those political forums. Especially when Ferret from the "Old Boards" would just pull out his "Liberal Whack Job" posts on threads that were supposed to be about hockey. I say the Mods do away with that political thread once and for all

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:27 am 
Superstar Goalie

I look at it this way - if it doesn't have its own place, it WILL spill out into other subforums.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:34 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Los9090 wrote:
I stay the hell away from those political forums. ..... I say the Mods do away with that political thread once and for all

Why do you want to ruin other peoples enjoyment to get rid of a room you never go into?

PatGreen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:10 am 
PP Quarterback

yes i don't usually say things like this...just don't go in it and it doesn't bother you...it's like /b/ on 4chan

fly as hale
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:31 am 
Mrs. Miller

NYIntensity wrote:
I look at it this way - if it doesn't have its own place, it WILL spill out into other subforums.

Yep.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Los9090
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:47 pm 
Superstar Goalie

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
Los9090 wrote:
I stay the hell away from those political forums. ..... I say the Mods do away with that political thread once and for all

Why do you want to ruin other peoples enjoyment to get rid of a room you never go into?

Because it eventually gets people pissed at one another and then results in members leaving.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:10 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I miss a bunch of the peeps who I don't see around often any more. Cv. Phil. Fly. Squanto. All great hockey insight. And I know life gets in the way and other stuff. But y'all always brought great hockey stuff to the boards....

E X C E L L E N C E