It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Displaced Fan
 Post subject: Re: The Workout thread 2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:04 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I'm really trying to find a different motivation other than "I'm 32 and look like shit". I need a goal, a reward and motivation. The goal has to be more concrete than just not feeling like an out of shape piece of crap and the reward has to be something affordable but way worth it. motivation needs to be something that will drive me and keep me going when I feel like quitting. Hmmm.

I'm at 160 so I'm looking to gain weight if I could but the main goal is to get in shape and have more cardio and more strength. I don't want to be huge, just fit. I don't know if I shared this with you guys but I used to be pretty bad ass. I fought in the cage, trained in martial arts for 15 years, ran two marathons and played volleyball in the Air Force. Then my lung collapsed, some crazy genetic shit. i went from 180 to 130 in a couple months after the corrective lung surgery and haven't worked out since. I did P90x for 6 weeks about two years ago and I snow boarded and hiked a lot but nothing like I used to. I also smoke and drink too much. Would love to get back to even a shadow of what I was 8 years ago if not for myself, for my wife so she has something bangable laying in bed next to her. :lol:

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:07 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

Thats my reward...right there Pat...women. Lol, but in all seriousness, I've been really stressed out and looking for some healthy stress relief. So working out may bring that. Plus when I am working out hard generally am just more fun to be around, and more confident.

Squanto 7/27/2010

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:41 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

jvaccaro6 wrote:
I'm actually thinking about starting Inasnity, or The Asylum from Beachbody...I'm down to 165 (from 295) But can't seem to rid myself of this beer gut. (I guess stopping the drinking could help, but lets fact it, not gonna happen.) So I may end up getting pretty active in this thread.

Holy shit dude, nice work. And to be honest, you definitely should stay really active in the thread, because 85% of people who were overweight and lost a lot end up gaining back. Not trying to be negative, but to let you know the exercise is just as important now as it was then and to keep you motivated.

You must have changed your diet in a major way too right?

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:50 pm 

Yeah for the most part. I mean I still eat burgers, fries, etc when I go out. But when I'm at home it's mostly whole grain bread, chicken breasts, turkey, lean ham, greens, etc. I try to eat 50% protein 35% Carbs, 10% "healthy fats" and 5% fats in a week. I've found diet is probably even more important when working out, than the actual work out.

Squanto 7/27/2010

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:51 pm 

To follow up, I started losing weight, Summer 2009, Have been around 170-165 for about 18 months now.

Squanto 7/27/2010

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:52 pm 
Superstar Goalie

idk what I weigh now, but I'd guess around 165 (I'm 5'7...5'8 on a good day). I'd like to get back down to around 145-150, as that's where I was most competitive as a runner, and then maybe I'll find myself joining some AAU competitions. My goal is also to not be a fat slob, and be able to view all 8 abs again. I'm going to have to engage in a lot more fat-burning and less aerobic exercise though

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:05 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

jvaccaro6 wrote:
To follow up, I started losing weight, Summer 2009, Have been around 170-165 for about 18 months now.

That's great. My wife lost a lot in Weight Watchers. She had two back surgeries and was immobile for a while and gained back some weight she's trying to shed. That's why I had that statistic, she quoted it to me from a book called Eat to Live. But I forgot earlier that it was after a three-year period that most people regain the lost weight.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:55 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:15 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Did my first Active workout of the week. Week two of a nine-week program, and the shit just got real. Kicked my ass. Lots of squats, squat-jumps, foot fires, and this new exercise they call the mountain climber. If you all don't know how EA Active works, you put motion sensors on one arm and one leg, the arm sensor is also a heart monitor. Plus you don't choose your exercises, they design a program for you based on what you want to focus on, cardio or strength (at least in this one). Again, I recommend it for anyone with a Wii Fit. There's also an EA Active NFL Drfat version where you do drills they do at the NFL combine. Haven't tried that one yet.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:08 am 
Superstar Goalie

You've really piqued my interest in that - I've had a Wii for 2 years and played it for like the first 3 months I had it. Also, I've decided that I'm going to run Sun, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri (various run workouts, sprints, fartlek, tempo, etc). Wednesdays will be my strength training day (I don't have a gym, but I have one of those pull up/dip/ab workout racks, so it'll be a bunch of body weight exercises), and Saturday will be a legit day off.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:23 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I'm almost scared of today's workout. Yesterday's was intense. I can't remember ever having a 25-30 minute workout in my house that left me dripping with sweat like that.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:44 am 

How's everyone's work outs going? I actually just started some serious heavy lifting (for me), trying to add some muscle mass before I start p90x on the 20th. Atleast gain some strength to be prepared to do the work outs anyway.

Squanto 7/27/2010

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:42 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I haven't really been working out but I have been sticking to my small goals. Drinking ass tons of water, getting good sleep and going easy on the old sauce. Feeling better than usual and starting to think about adding in some old school pushups and situps. I've been roller blading but it's more like exercise for my husky since she pulls me.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:51 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Mine have been going well. For once in my life I'm doing mainly cardio, which is what you're really supposed to do. I'll admit, when I started lifting weights in college, I was doing it for almost entirely reasons of vanity. Figured my appearance needed as much help as it could get. But I no longer ignore the real reasons one should work out.

Anyway, I've got another cardio workout coming up here. One thing I'll say is that my maximum heart rate in a session does appear to be dropping. When I started, I got my heart up to near 200 bpm at its max, I think my max was 179 last workout.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:53 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Wait, so how old is everyone here? Working out is way different if there is a twenty year gap. haha I'm 32

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:53 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:55 pm 

26 :lol: I'm just a young buck :P

Squanto 7/27/2010

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:01 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Yup Jay, it's hard to work out with this damn cane in my hand.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm 

I'm just worried about you breaking a hip trying to walk on the treadmill :lol:

Squanto 7/27/2010

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Yeah, I've found nothing helps you recover from group jazzercise like an Ensure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next