It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PatGreen
 Post subject: Attention computer folks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:11 am 
PP Quarterback

I wish I had more to offer to help you guys out, because sometimes I feel like I'm leeching from all of your banks of knowledge.

If you even need environmental guidance, feel free to ask!

Anyways, I have an old IBM ThinkPad T60 that I really like, and I want to upgrade it to last a bit longer. It currently has 1 gig of RAM and runs Windows XP.

Do I upgrade the motherboard? Do I add more RAM? Let me know what you guys think.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:23 am 
Franchise Defenseman

I'm not overly computer savy. But if it will take more ram. Start there.

E X C E L L E N C E

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 am 
Superstar Goalie

PatGreen wrote:
I wish I had more to offer to help you guys out, because sometimes I feel like I'm leeching from all of your banks of knowledge.

If you even need environmental guidance, feel free to ask!

Anyways, I have an old IBM ThinkPad T60 that I really like, and I want to upgrade it to last a bit longer. It currently has 1 gig of RAM and runs Windows XP.

Do I upgrade the motherboard? Do I add more RAM? Let me know what you guys think.

RAM would be a good start; the bump to 4GB would do wonders. After that, you could upgrade to a SSD. Then you're maxed (not sure if the laptop will support more than 4GB, idk if it's 64 bit or not), but that should give you at least another year or two of usability.

How big is the current hard drive?

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:56 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Max your RAM out. That model caps at 4GB, (2x2GB sticks), probably run you about $50. I'm going to guess it doesn't support SSDs, but if it does, that's a good option too. (If I had to bet, I don't think it will. )

Upgrading the mobo in a notebook is usually impossible, if not ill advised.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:01 am 
PP Quarterback

I appreciate it, this is one area I'm going to study up on to see if I can get a better hang on it. Squanto, good to hear from you, man. How's the birthday hangover?

anybody want to link me to the appropriate RAM? i assume the stuff is plug and play...

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:03 am 
PP Quarterback

NYIntensity wrote:
After that, you could upgrade to a SSD. Then you're maxed (not sure if the laptop will support more than 4GB, idk if it's 64 bit or not).
How big is the current hard drive?

it's like 120 gb i think...but I don't have much on it. let me know if a bigger hard drive will benefit how it runs...

what is SSD? and I don't know how to check if it's 64 bit.

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:40 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Ssd is a solid state drive. Basically a hard drvI've with no moving parts. Grabs data faster than a standard hard drive.

E X C E L L E N C E

gr8daygo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:43 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

And a larger hard drive shouldn't make a huge diff if it isn't jammed ... Unless its a ssd. But I would clEan up cache and cookies. Some of that crap will slow a computer up.

E X C E L L E N C E

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:54 pm 
PP Quarterback

ah...the computer just got re-imaged on friday, so cache and cookies and whatever shouldn't be an issue, right?

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:56 pm 
Superstar Goalie

From a quick google, it looks like the T60 accepts zif drives, so SSD would be an option.

A SSD is basically a hard drive made out of RAM. Cookies and cache are probably fine. Install Defraggler, it's a defrag program that works better than Windows' own defrag program. Not really necessary right now, but will be useful in the future.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:14 pm 
Cup Winner

Squanto wrote:
Max your RAM out. That model caps at 4GB, (2x2GB sticks), probably run you about $50. I'm going to guess it doesn't support SSDs, but if it does, that's a good option too. (If I had to bet, I don't think it will. )

Upgrading the mobo in a notebook is usually impossible, if not ill advised.

Isn't also normally more expensive than new notebooks anyways?

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:53 pm 
PP Quarterback

how correct is this? I can't get an SSD and I can only put in 3GB of RAM?

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:20 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

That model apparently has a chipset restriction that will only support 3GB. That explains that.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... MIGR-62487

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:07 am 
Superstar Goalie

PatGreen wrote:
how correct is this? I can't get an SSD and I can only put in 3GB of RAM?

I'm almost positive that you have the right drive type for a SSD; however, do you think you could take the HD out and snap a picture of the connector?

daz28
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:40 am 
Star Sniper

I wouldn't even waste any money on it Pat. The 1 gig of ram is gonna run xp just fine. If you're not playing games, and just surfing, watching videos, and downloading tunes and stuff, leave it be. The most I might suggest is bump the ram up to 2 gigs if it's painfully slow. Try and find someone with a left over stick from when they upgraded theirs, and give them $10 or so.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:47 am 
PP Quarterback

it has a little lag when watching youtube videos. i just want to get it up to speed. i have office 2007 and whatever so i want it to last at least until 2014

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 am 
Superstar Goalie

daz28 wrote:
I wouldn't even waste any money on it Pat. The 1 gig of ram is gonna run xp just fine. If you're not playing games, and just surfing, watching videos, and downloading tunes and stuff, leave it be. The most I might suggest is bump the ram up to 2 gigs if it's painfully slow. Try and find someone with a left over stick from when they upgraded theirs, and give them $10 or so.

1 gig will run XP, yeah, but today's web browsers pretty much take it for granted that RAM isn't a premium, and will gobble it up at will. Add a couple running programs, and you're swapping files like Mitt Romney swaps major political positions.

I may actually have some extra RAM I'd send you for free; let me check on lunch.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:57 pm 
Cup Winner

NYIntensity wrote:
daz28 wrote:

1 gig will run XP, yeah, but today's web browsers pretty much take it for granted that RAM isn't a premium, and will gobble it up at will. Add a couple running programs, and you're swapping files like Mitt Romney swaps major political positions.

I may actually have some extra RAM I'd send you for free; let me check on lunch.

Firefox on my old PC ran up like 450K out of a gig of RAM or something ridiculous like that, it was honestly ridiculous on that computer.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:21 pm 
Superstar Goalie

450k is nothing...did you mean 450Mb? ;)

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:58 pm 
Cup Winner

NYIntensity wrote:
450k is nothing...did you mean 450Mb? ;)

Naw, Not in that terms. I meant processes. When you pull up Task Manager and it has the processes.

Rud wrote: