It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:54 am 
Superstar Goalie

Hey guys. I have been wanting to help my parents out for a long time. They typify the Western NY family. My dad was a steel worker and when steel left Niagara Falls he lost his job and bounced around for a long time. He's got a good job now and has for awhile but he spends tons on meds for his back that he destroyed during 20 years of making steel barrels. Their garage door has had a monster hole in the bottom for over a decade that my dog chewed in it and the garage is in need of some TLC. I have offered to help for a long time but they are way too proud to ask so I'm saying screw it and I'm going to drive up there this summer and do a little DIY Extreme Makeover with my wife and some friends.

Project list:

1. New garage door. Nothing fancy, just a solid door that will keep the fall leaves out.
2. Garage Shelving. Again nothing fancy just 2x4's and plywood.
3. Work bench. 8 foot long and simple. 2x4's and plywood. Stain.
4. Homemade lift system for their canoe. Takes up too much space on saw horses and my dad can't lift it onto the car anymore with his back.
5. extra project (surprise): My mom loves to paint so I want to get the clutter from the basement out and make her a work bench and re-purpose the old garage bookshelves for her needs down there. Some lights, some power strips and she'll be in heaven. I already bought her a sander, saw and painting supplies.

What I could use:

1. Wood. Any straight good lumber. Old solid wood doors could be used for bench tops.
2. Donations. garage door, peg board, shop lights, anything that could be used in the garage.
3. Leads on where to get re-purposed lumber or cheaper lumber and materials.

I just want to do something awesome for them that they can't do for themselves and wouldn't ask anyone to do for them. If I can get help with supplies then I have the tools and know how to make it happen. If you know where I could score materials for less I'm all ears. If I went to Lowes I could get everything I need for under 500 bucks easy but this is all about budgeting and elbow grease.

If I can pull this off they will be happy beyond words...and i will reign supreme as their favorite child! :lol:

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:37 am 
Superstar Goalie

Well, seeing as you've got some time to get this done, I'll start keeping an eye out. If you had asked a week ago, I would have had about 40 8' 2x4s for you. Alas, those are gone. Also - if you need any more manpower, I'll be available :)