All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:02 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I hate to nitpick, but...

1. It's PROBABLE cause.
2. A person shooting someone, and killing them, is probable cause for an arrest. It is not up to the arresting officer to decide if the facts of the incident merit the self defense exception. If the facts of the case determined that Zimmerman acted in self defense, he would then be released without indictment.

EDIT:

3. Castle laws don't apply here. Martin was not intruding anywhere.
4. Martin had every right to be in that neighborhood. He was staying with family, a stepmother I believe.

Last edited by Squanto on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:12 pm 
Captain Clutch

Squanto wrote:
I hate to nitpick, but...

1. It's PROBABLE cause.
2. A person shooting someone, and killing them, is probable cause for an arrest. It is not up to the arresting officer to decide if the facts of the incident merit the self defense exception. If the facts of the case determined that Zimmerman acted in self defense, he would then be released without indictment.

:lol: Thanks for the correction, I tend to add or leave out letters for no reason (matter of fact I just left out the last E in leave). He was detained and reports have surfaced that thepolice asked the prosectuor to charge him (which is the standard procedure) but they decided to hold off charging him.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:50 pm 
Star Sniper

sabresindc wrote:
SERIOUSLY!!!!! This is pure idiotic thinking or you have some serious issues with law enforcement. Cops HAVE TO HAVE PROBABLY CAUSE TO MAKE AN ARREST....

I've taken many CRJ and law courses, so by the letter of the law, you are correct. HOWEVER, my point was that if you've ever been around a situation being handled by police, they HAVE to maintain the presence of order in all situations. That's why they speak loudly and firmly. You'll often see them telling people to "BACK OFF" OR "STOP YELLING". They get people to comply by saying, "do you want to go to jail?". Sometimes a wise ass says, "I ain't doing nothing wrong. I know my rights. You have no probable cause", etc. Truth is, they can just say you were interfering with the investigation, and throw your ass in the patrol car. So maybe my "idiotic thinking" isn't so far off base, now is it?

Also, you seem to be another one wanting their cake and eating it too. Either you feel Zimmerman should be prosecuted or not. Don't play both sides.

Also, I think Squanto already cleared this up, but even Zimmerman saying he feared for his life because he was being beaten to death by a wet noodle is probable cause. He clearly seems capable of defending himself against a weaponless Martin, and didn't show any signs of a LIFE AND DEATH struggle.

Oh ya, one last thing, Zimmerman watches too many movies. Supposedly he lost sight of Martin, and then while returning to his car, he suddenly appeared behind him, suckered him, and began slamming his head into the sidewalk. Ya right. Weren't his own words, "they always get away". Not, "they always come back to get caught". At this point it is unknown how they came face to face, but I'm sure it's a whale of a tale.

-That was when Clint Eastwood(played by Steve Urkel) came out from behind the house to fight Goliath(played by the Rock), and sucker punched him in the face from behind, knocking him down and rendering him defenseless. Hahaha Then while the fighting ensues someone cries for help(you can't tell which one cried out, but your hint is it wasn't Goliath). Next thing we hear is a gunshot, and Clint dies. Sorry if I'm making comedy out of tragedy, but it really does sound this absurd.

Last edited by daz28 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:02 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

sabresindc wrote:
SERIOUSLY!!!!! This is pure idiotic thinking or you have some serious issues with law enforcement. Cops HAVE TO HAVE PROBABLY CAUSE TO MAKE AN ARREST.... Lets now define PROBABLY CAUSE shall we.

Before you go calling people and their thinking 'idiotic', you might want to learn that it's PROBABLE cause, not 'probably cause'. (someone with less restraint than myself might even say it's pretty idiotic for you to spout off like this not even knowing the term you're spouting about.)

sabresindc wrote:
Either way, Zimmerman was completely in his right to call the police and ask the he be checked out. Trayvon wasnt suppose to be there in the first place. Especially since there has been reports that this gated community had a rash of burglaries recently.

Sorry for the rant....not trying to offend anyone

Um...So this kid who was either staying at, or visiting his fathers wifes house 'wasnt supposed to be there' especially because there had been burglaries recently? How the hell do you arrive at that conclusion?

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:06 pm 
Star Sniper

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
sabresindc wrote:
SERIOUSLY!!!!! This is pure idiotic thinking or you have some serious issues with law enforcement. Cops HAVE TO HAVE PROBABLY CAUSE TO MAKE AN ARREST.... Lets now define PROBABLY CAUSE shall we.

Before you go calling people and their thinking 'idiotic', you might want to learn that it's PROBABLE cause, not 'probably cause'. (someone with less restraint than myself might even say it's pretty idiotic for you to spout off like this not even knowing the term you're spouting about.)

Thank you. This is the 2nd time someone went super douche on me in this thread, and I've tried my best to remain calm. Worst part is they were both dead wrong.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:46 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:

Um...So this kid who was either staying at, or visiting his fathers wifes house 'wasnt supposed to be there' especially because there had been burglaries recently? How the hell do you arrive at that conclusion?

I won't even get into the whole "wasn't supposed to be there" thing, since I don't really know the circumstances or legal implications of gated communities. But even if he wasn't allowed on the property, I'd like to ask how many of you have ever trepassed before? Anybody ever get followed or fatally shot because of that?

sabresindc
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:09 pm 
Captain Clutch

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
sabresindc wrote:

sabresindc wrote:
Either way, Zimmerman was completely in his right to call the police and ask the he be checked out. Trayvon wasnt suppose to be there in the first place. Especially since there has been reports that this gated community had a rash of burglaries recently.

Sorry for the rant....not trying to offend anyone

Just recently saw that his dads fiancee lives there, my most humbled apologizes. Goes to show the misinformation that's out there. Yes a kid you have never seen walking through a neighborhood wearing a sweatshirt with a hood covering his head in south florida is suspicious. That coupled with "reportedly" a rash of residential burglaries is imo enough reasonable suspicion for him to be stopped by the police.

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:50 pm 
Star Sniper

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Well in this case it appears social media allows some people to do the internet equivalent of shaking up the ant farm and watching the results from the outside.

1980, I still don't get your motives. George Zimmerman was the only name you mentioned besides the Duke Lacrosse team in the OP. So don't expect us to think that this isn't somehow about the Martin case. Furthermore you can see just how emotional a case it is across the country. If you think that Zimmerman has been unfairly implicated, then say so and say why you think it like the rest of us. Otherwise, don't bring up a hot-button issue, then sit in judgement of people's responses.

My "motives" are to have a discussion about how social media allows people to spew mis-information, fueled by professional media that rushes to be first, as Squanto noted, and perhaps in part because there is now a generation of people entering the profession that grew up using social media in an irresponsible way. I noted two examples of how it can cause potentially dangerous social conflict. If people here choose to go off track and debate the details of one of those examples then fine. Talk about whatever you want, just don't expect me to go off track with you. Also don't assume I was making some veiled attempt to spark a 4+ page argument. The only part of the Zimmerman case I noted was about two totally unrelated people getting sucked into the drama by an irresponsible use of social media, which was directly related to my point.

daz28
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:20 am 
Star Sniper

Well, I could give 2 shits about social media. I abstain. If anyone wants to talk possible negligence(civil or criminal), in that case, I'm down.