It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:26 am 
Star Sniper

Nobody learned anything from the Duke lacrosse case, or others like it. With everyone having social media at their fingertips, ignorance, rumor, assumption, and just plain old lies can spread like wildfire with no regard for facts. People don't even want to wait for facts, they just want to jump on something and run, fuel a protest and get their views out whether they have merit or not.

The media is being increasingly staffed by people who grew up with social media...sites that never required much fact checking or journalistic integrity. They bring that to their job and don't report, just spread rumor or whatever skewed message they want to get out.

Ignorant people or those with agendas used to be fairly isolated from information or the ability to spread their garbage, not any more. So I guess this is they way life will be for quite some time. With the pace that mis-information spreads now, everyone can yell and stomp their feet, for MONTHS, before facts are established. By then people won't care what the facts are because they've had too much time to dig in and defend their views, even if they're wrong. Being in the know is valuable, and everyone should have that ability to be aware of current events. Too many people simply abuse it though, and it causes much more divide and damage than any good. Ask the folks that had their address tweeted out as George Zimmerman's address. That's just a small example, but eventually the irresponsibility that people have with social media will get people killed on a regular basis.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:56 pm 
Cup Winner

Apparently Justin Bieber tweeted a number out which was an old lady's number and she is suing him for it because of all the calls.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:31 am 
Captain Dynasty

NOM is a pretty good example.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:41 am 
Captain Dynasty

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Apparently Justin Bieber tweeted a number out which was an old lady's number and she is suing him for it because of all the calls.

so?

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:46 am 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

tommy tutone had a #1 hit song do it...i don't think anyone could sue him...

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:39 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

"Is this the way people will be now after social media"?

No, this is the way people have always been. Fundamental human nature has not changed because our speed of communications has.

I'm really not seeing the problem here, did you at some point hold the belief that humanity's nature used to be...bolder, more sincere, more...honest and forthright? I feel like people have always gotten away with exactly as much as they're allowed to get away with, and social media doesnt really change that.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:24 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

No, George Zimmerman is the way people are after we've all been taught to fear blacks and assume the worst.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:27 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

I strongly disagree, social media allows people to be absolute douches behind a computer screen, and suffer no real consequences. For example, I don't know too many people who would flat out walk right up to me and say, "Hey, you're a fucking homo. I hate you, you should go kill yourself." The vast, and I mean vast majority of people would not do such a thing, for fear of being kicked in the teeth or whatever. But I see it all the time via twitter, facebook, etc.

Another issue I have is with bloggers, making up facts and such, and then toting their blogs as viable, and credible sources. It happens a lot. Social media can be a good thing, but it's absolutely a gateway for the scumbags of the world, and the cowards of the world to get away with what they want and spread their garbage to the masses as well. People get away with a lot more on the internet than they do in face to face interaction.

Squanto 7/27/2010

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:31 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I won't disagree with that Jay.

I'm not ashamed to say I'm not sure what they point of this thread was meant to be. But it seems to be about people being outraged over George Zimmeran. Well, they should be outraged. But as has been pointed out, mob-mentality is nothing new to "social media". I just don't get what this is all about. I do know I've had arguments with people on these boards, including the OP, about racial profiling in law eforcement though. So I'm sensitive to what exactly the point is.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:53 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I think the OP's point is that we all assumed that Treyvon was some innocent 14 year old child, based on social media reports.

Turns out he's 17, and not quite the angel we thought. Here is where you all immediately jump to conclusions and scream "YEAH SO? HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO DIE!"

I agree with that. Zimmerman is in the wrong here unless Martin was actually attacking him, which there doesn't appear to be any evidence of.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:58 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

NYIntensity wrote:
I think the OP's point is that we all assumed that Treyvon was some innocent 14 year old child, based on social media reports.

But that's completely the opposite of WHY it happened. It happened because NO ONE in this country would assume that Treyvon was innocent. That's exactly what I've talked about before with you and others as to how racism could play into a life and death judgement. And here is clear evidence of exactly what I said could and does happen, and was told that I was being idealistic and naive. I am not missing the opportunity to paint my point with the figurative blood of an innocent when it's so glaring.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:18 pm 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

My post was more or less a little rant on my views of social media in general. I honestly only skimmed the original post.

Squanto 7/27/2010

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:19 pm 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
But that's completely the opposite of WHY it happened. It happened because NO ONE in this country would assume that Treyvon was innocent.

it seems to me that most of the country believed he was innocent before they knew the whole story...except for the cops involved. but seriously- what the fuck else could they do? they didn't have evidence either way! as far as I've heard, they still don't have any! you can't throw someone in jail because you WANT to when there is no evidence against him, even if totally makes sense! i agree he was where he didn't belong. but there is no evidence that says what he did was illegal. there is nothing illegal about being too nosy. if no credible evidence can be brought together, you can't just put someone in jail. that's how the law and the constitution works, thank God- and I feel it serves the greater good FAR more often than things like this happen.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:20 pm 
PP Quarterback

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
No, George Zimmerman is the way people are after we've all been taught to fear blacks and assume the worst.

zimmerman is a minority too

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:42 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
But that's completely the opposite of WHY it happened. It happened because NO ONE in this country would assume that Treyvon was innocent. That's exactly what I've talked about before with you and others as to how racism could play into a life and death judgement. And here is clear evidence of exactly what I said could and does happen, and was told that I was being idealistic and naive. I am not missing the opportunity to paint my point with the figurative blood of an innocent when it's so glaring.

That's going pretty far. I don't assume every black kid with a hoodie is some thug who's up to no good. Chances are good he's probably an asshole, misguided by what he thinks is "cool", but that doesn't make him a criminal. That makes him a teenager.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:46 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Stuuuuuuu wrote:

El Al (Israeli airline) profiles, and it seems to work out pretty well. I'd rather not take my chances. If I see a black or hispanic male wearing a hoody and baggy pants or anything less than a polo and pants that actually fit, my discomfort level rises. You know why? Because those are the people I see on the news every night being arrested for committing crimes. It's not a "racism" thing. It's taking the facts as they're presented to me, digesting them, and forming my own opinion.

Racism = hate. I don't hate minorities.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:10 pm 
Captain Dynasty

PatGreen wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:

depends on who you ask. ive heard white nationalists rationalize that pure bred latinos (both parents are latin) are white. where as a person who has a white dad and hispanic mom (like zimmerman) isnt white. figure that one out.

also, i could be wrong, but hispanic isnt race, its an ethnicity. and ethnicity =/= race.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:24 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

PatGreen wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:

That doesn't change a thing. Minorities can be racist, and clearly Zimmerman is a racist. Why did he choose to follow and kill Martin and not somebody else? Because he's black.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:10 pm 
PP Quarterback

how the fuck do you know it's because he's black? are you privvy to some goddamn information from al sharpton the rest of us don't know? or are you just swallowing every media's story and following this stupid hoodie movement?

do we even know if zimmerman KNEW that martin was black? it was night, he had a hoodie up. what's the chances he could even tell at first? or did he say on the 911 call he was black? this part i am not sure of.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:13 pm 
Captain Dynasty

PatGreen wrote:
how the fuck do you know it's because he's black? are you privvy to some goddamn information from al sharpton the rest of us don't know? or are you just swallowing every media's story and following this stupid hoodie movement?

do we even know if zimmerman KNEW that martin was black? it was night, he had a hoodie up. what's the chances he could even tell at first? or did he say on the 911 call he was black? this part i am not sure of.

on the 911 tapes, zimmerman calls him a "fucking coon." and says "they always get away."

so, i mean...