It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:25 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm
Posts: 2631
Location: Take a guess...
Hey all

Sorry if this is too spammy, but it's not like this place is really all that busy lately, hopefully this shameless plug for my new business venture isn't too out of bounds.

Anyways, I recently started woodworking, and have made too many things to hang on my own walls, so I opened an online store on Etsy.com to sell my wares.

Check it out!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/stainsandgrains

Attachment:
naked slat coat rack blue.jpg
naked slat coat rack blue.jpg [ 45.56 KiB | Viewed 2394 times ]


Attachment:
large martian landscape.jpg
large martian landscape.jpg [ 42.35 KiB | Viewed 2394 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:38 pm 
Offline
PP Quarterback

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:55 pm
Posts: 1836
interesting. where are you getting lumber? what are you doing with them? clamping them to a base with some glue? how are you doing the corners? just a standard 45 degree miter? is that minwax on just porous wood? i can't tell if you're using any clearcoat for protection, whether you thinned it or something.

sorry for the questions, i have been woodworking for a long while.


Top
 Profile  
 
Crosscheck
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:43 pm 
Offline
Sober enough to run a server
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:10 am
Posts: 7474
Location: 2,568 miles from the F'n arena
Nice work man!

_________________
Hold my beer and watch this...


Top
 Profile  
 
YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:33 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm
Posts: 2631
Location: Take a guess...
PatGreen wrote:
interesting. where are you getting lumber? what are you doing with them? clamping them to a base with some glue? how are you doing the corners? just a standard 45 degree miter? is that minwax on just porous wood? i can't tell if you're using any clearcoat for protection, whether you thinned it or something.

sorry for the questions, i have been woodworking for a long while.



Nice, then you can probably offer me some advice, as i've been woodworking for about 3 months now, and really, honestly don't know what i'm doing. Basically improvising here (but it seems to do the trick)

1) lumber is from a couple sources, I try and find it just laying around somewhere, and I have some old shipping pallets i'm going to use, but most of it is from Lowes, there is a store not a quarter mile from my house, so it's pretty convenient.

2) No clamping at all, just precise cuts so they fit together well, and laid in place with glue. (although for the frames and backing I use regular wood screws)

3) Most of the cutting is with the Mitre saw, but I've also got a table saw and band saw which come in handy. But yeah, the frames and stuff are just regular old 45 degree cuts.

4) It's minwax/cabot/rustoleum stains, on various woods (I've been buying this stuff called "stain grade lumber" lately. It's a piece of really nice wood, good grain presentation, no knots, and wrapped in plastic. It's kind of expensive, but it really shows the stain off better.

5) No clearcoat as of yet. I figure these are art pieces, going on someones wall. They're not going to be subjected to weather, probably not even to direct sunlight. so clearcoat wouldn't be necessary. Am I wrong about that? Do you think I should start polyurethaning these things?

Also, I had been using JUST stains, but the colors are pretty limited, so with one piece, the blue-ish one I started getting regular latex paint, dilute it a LOT (something like 5 parts water, 1 part paint) and it reproduces the transparency of stain, so the grain is still visible.


Last edited by YankeeInRaleigh on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:34 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm
Posts: 2631
Location: Take a guess...
Crosscheck wrote:
Nice work man!



Thanks dude, it's been pretty satisfying. Although the wife is starting to complain that i'm out in the garage all the time...


Top
 Profile  
 
PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 pm 
Offline
PP Quarterback

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:55 pm
Posts: 1836
YankeeInRaleigh wrote:

1) lumber is from a couple sources, I try and find it just laying around somewhere, and I have some old shipping pallets i'm going to use, but most of it is from Lowes, there is a store not a quarter mile from my house, so it's pretty convenient.

2) No clamping at all, just precise cuts so they fit together well, and laid in place with glue. (although for the frames and backing I use regular wood screws)

3) Most of the cutting is with the Mitre saw, but I've also got a table saw and band saw which come in handy. But yeah, the frames and stuff are just regular old 45 degree cuts.

4) It's minwax/cabot/rustoleum stains, on various woods (I've been buying this stuff called "stain grade lumber" lately. It's a piece of really nice wood, good grain presentation, no knots, and wrapped in plastic. It's kind of expensive, but it really shows the stain off better.

5) No clearcoat as of yet. I figure these are art pieces, going on someones wall. They're not going to be subjected to weather, probably not even to direct sunlight. so clearcoat wouldn't be necessary. Am I wrong about that? Do you think I should start polyurethaning these things?

Also, I had been using JUST stains, but the colors are pretty limited, so with one piece, the blue-ish one I started getting regular latex paint, dilute it a LOT (something like 5 parts water, 1 part paint) and it reproduces the transparency of stain, so the grain is still visible.

i thought some of that was scraps, that's a great use for that. when you say wood screws, do you mean pocket screws? (drill a hole and put the screw in?)

you should practice different jointing techniques, people love fancy corners. dovetails, mortise and tenon, dado (my favorite) etc. all of these take practice but they look great.

stain grade lumber...never heard of it. i spend a LOT of time choosing lumber when i get it and i guess that's sort of the same thing...i'm guessing you don't have to sand too much since it comes shrinkwrapped. remember, different roughness of wood gives different appearances with the same stain.

personally, i like to clear everything a little, even if it's not gloss. it's totally up to you, but even indoor lighting can break things down. so i like to just get a good seal over the stain. personal preference. i've used this clear based stuff minwax makes before and it comes in all sorts of funny colors (http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/sta ... PAodZgoAkw). it hurts my heart to paint wood so i have stained a lot, and all I really know is that I HATE POLYSHADES.

if i could give you a couple things it took me a while to learn they would be:
learn to use a router, early and well
use very clean cutting blades (lots of teeth)
CLAMP EVERYTHING ALL OF THE TIME

by the way, this stuff is pretty cool, good work. i can tell you have a very good eye for detail!


Top
 Profile  
 
YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:09 am 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm
Posts: 2631
Location: Take a guess...
Yeah, I do want to learn different jointing techniques, if I end up getting into this further i'll definitely need to learn a lot of tricks, and get some new tools.

I think i'll try putting a clearcoat on next time, see if I can visually tell the difference. It's probably a good idea to put some on after the stain anyways.

Haha...I'm still a newb at this, and even I've discovered that Polyshades sucks complete a-hole.


Top
 Profile  
 
PatGreen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:05 pm 
Offline
PP Quarterback

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:55 pm
Posts: 1836
I sent you a PM, jeremy


Top
 Profile  
 
YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:01 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm
Posts: 2631
Location: Take a guess...
PatGreen wrote:


What the....dude, this link just blew my mind, I don't even recognize 80% of that stuff. I feel kind of stupid now for never having checked online for different colors and types of stain, and i've just been going to my local lowes for supplies, where I pick out "Stain". Not the 4 or 5 different varieties of stain you just linked me to. I really need to do some research at some point, figure out what other kind of options I have.


Top
 Profile  
 
ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 pm 
Offline
Captain Dynasty
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 15390
Location: michigan
dude, you should make me a beer die table.

for free of course.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:47 am 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm
Posts: 2631
Location: Take a guess...
Beer die, what's that?


Top
 Profile  
 
NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:34 am 
Offline
Superstar Goalie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 4463
PatGreen wrote:
I sent you a PM, jeremy

No you didn't.

_________________
ksquier89 wrote:
Holy fucking fuck...Boyes couldn't suck a dick if it landed in his mouth.


Top
 Profile  
 
NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:49 am 
Offline
Superstar Goalie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 4463
YiR - your stuff looks great. Do you take requests?

_________________
ksquier89 wrote:
Holy fucking fuck...Boyes couldn't suck a dick if it landed in his mouth.


Top
 Profile  
 
YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 am 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm
Posts: 2631
Location: Take a guess...
NYIntensity wrote:
YiR - your stuff looks great. Do you take requests?


Definitely, we can use existing designs in my store as a template for change, or come up with something totally original, what do you have in mind?

(and i'm still working on complex stuff like a sabres logo, so....don't request that yet!)


Top
 Profile  
 
NYIntensity
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 pm 
Offline
Superstar Goalie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 4463
YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
NYIntensity wrote:
YiR - your stuff looks great. Do you take requests?


Definitely, we can use existing designs in my store as a template for change, or come up with something totally original, what do you have in mind?

(and i'm still working on complex stuff like a sabres logo, so....don't request that yet!)



....A sabres logo :|

_________________
ksquier89 wrote:
Holy fucking fuck...Boyes couldn't suck a dick if it landed in his mouth.


Top
 Profile  
 
YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm
Posts: 2631
Location: Take a guess...
Haha...yeah, I kinda figured that's what you'd want. Once I get the nerve to actually try cutting that thing out on my scrollsaw i'll give it a shot and let you see how it went. For now my stuff is fairly simple.


Top
 Profile  
 
Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:08 pm 
Offline
Carlos Spicy-Wiener
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:31 am
Posts: 9240
Location: FAP TURBO
Keeping an eye on this. Good work so far, I just might hit you up one of these days.


Top
 Profile  
 
YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:07 pm 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm
Posts: 2631
Location: Take a guess...
Thanks man, I appreciate that.

I'll post back here every once in a while to show off a new piece, if something ever catches your eye let me know, we can definitely work on the price a bit :). I know this stuff is expensive, but i'm not really going for a 'volume' business, this stuff DOES take a good amount of time and attention after all.


Top
 Profile  
 
YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:48 am 
Offline
Franchise Defenseman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm
Posts: 2631
Location: Take a guess...
Just posted a new piece last night:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/121257162/ ... e-shipping


Attachments:
il_570xN.418819561_g8pw.jpg
il_570xN.418819561_g8pw.jpg [ 67.07 KiB | Viewed 2283 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:16 am 
Offline
Carlos Spicy-Wiener
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:31 am
Posts: 9240
Location: FAP TURBO
Don't apologize for your prices. You're making handcrafted items, you're not pumping out junk.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron