It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PatGreen
 Post subject: My dog went deaf
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:19 am 
PP Quarterback

Hi all, my 11 year old fox terrier went deaf in a matter of days. Vet has a blood test out and we're trying to find out what happened.

Anyways, I'm preparing for the worst. I don't want to change his lifestyle (no running free on hiking/backpacking trips) but I do have to change my methodology.

Previously everything was auditory- he always came when he was called (outside- inside he was a little stubborn when he was comfortable) and he knew if I used my "angry voice" to immediately stop what he was doing and do what I said (almost always come). Now, obviously, we can't do that.

I'm planning on the whole exaggerated gestures thing (waving the arm for come, big smiles and pets and treats when he does something good) as the main skills, but I really don't think it's fair to take away his freedom in the woods. I am thinking I'm going to get a vibrating/shock collar for this. I'd use the vibrations as a replacement for my normal "come back here" voice (no, internet, the vibrations do not hurt the dog, it's a signal) and the shock for my "angry voice" to be used in cases of emergency or something. I'd also like to get a signal for his collar that will make noise that I can hear (just in case). Of course, the shocking would be tested by me first and it wouldn't be high enough to hurt him at all. He is a fox terrier though, and everyone knows how stubborn they can be at times, especially in chase mode. It would just be a method of him remembering that in this case he needs to stop whatever he is doing and come to me. This might even never have to be used...I can't be sure how well he will respond to the vibrations.

Anyone have any tips or tricks?

Stuuuuuuu
 Post subject: Re: My dog went deaf
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:30 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Sorry Pat. Now for the obligatory joke: you could try keeping a couple nice juicy steaks in your pockets and see if he doesn't stick a little closer to you.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:02 pm 
PP Quarterback

meh, he follows me around anyways, he just likes to explore on trips and i don't want to take that away from him.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:04 pm 
Superstar Goalie

My best friend has a vibrating shock collar for his boxer (all-white boxers are almost always deaf); and it works wonderfully. I bought one for my hound, and he reacts just the same; works great.

The only downside is that you're going to have to shock him to let him know what the vibration means :(

Every time I take the dog out, I hold the collar and press the 'warn' button on the remote so I can be sure that it's on/working/good battery.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:26 pm 
PP Quarterback

do you have a brand or model you recommend?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:05 am 
Captain Dynasty

this is sad. are they for sure your pals deafness is permanent?

my dogs 12, and while shes old, she still sharp. well, kinda. she barks at nothing sometimes. but thats ok.

anyone who says dogs dont have souls can bite my ass.

i will say this. my dog doesnt listen to me. she likes to escape the house and run. but she cant run, so she cant out run me. however, usually i throw a tennis ball at her (no, not hard, internet) and she knows thats her cue to get back to the house. however, in the rare case she DOESNT respond to the tennis ball toss, i pick up and a hockey stick and slam it on the ground. then she KNOWS its time to get back. and if that fails (maybe twice in her 12 years), i pick her up and carry her to the house.

dunno if that helps.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:05 am 
Superstar Goalie

PatGreen wrote:
do you have a brand or model you recommend?

I've got a Dogtra (got it from Gander Mountain)...it's got a metal belt clip and better labeled buttons.