It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:25 pm 
Star Sniper

I'm not trying to be selective with your words, or ignore what gun laws can do. I only know what current gun laws can do when enforced, and in that regard I'm unimpressed due to the sentencing phase of that equation. Juveniles can have and use firearms and receive an absolute joke of a legal consequence unless they kill someone. Non-convicted felons can have first time gun possession charges of some sort and also receive a joke of a sentence. These are the people that eventually are responsible for the majority of "every day" shootings. They were able to commit those offenses because they WEREN'T in prison when they probably should've been.

A recent case I looked into involved a gang member that I documented and took a loaded gun from his waistband. Since he was already a convicted felon I thought I'd never see him again. One year later I discovered he was out because sentencing guidelines allowed certain felonies to have a range of 10 months to several years. Since his felony conviction (robbery) received an actual sentence of 11 months, he was determined to not truly be a "felon" (which is supposed to be punishable by at least a year in prison), and therefore his possession of firearm by felon charge was dropped and he was let free. This is the type of criminal that my job title deals with, and the type that is eventually responsible for serious robberies and shootings. This stuff happens every day across the country because WE don't have the spine to lock first time or "minor" gun offenders away for as long as they deserve.

Look first at what laws we do have, and have the fortitude to keep gun offenders off the street by sentencing toward the max rather than the minimum, and you'll see a real difference in gun crime.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:34 pm 
Cup Winner

40 reasons for gun control

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:31 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Look first at what laws we do have, and have the fortitude to keep gun offenders off the street by sentencing toward the max rather than the minimum, and you'll see a real difference in gun crime.

That sounds perfectly reasonable.

I'm not trying to be such a flower child here, but I really don't understand why I feel like I have to fight tooth-and-nail to get people to even consider that tougher gun laws might actually make the country less violent.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:51 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Because the problem isn't gun control. 1980 makes a great point - when we start putting people away for serious things (and for serious amounts of time), then maybe we'll see a shift.

While we still have for profit prisons that have occupancy contracts with the state, we're going to keep making our LEOs chase petty shit due to quotas.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:58 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

NYIntensity wrote:

While we still have for profit prisons that have occupancy contracts with the state, we're going to keep making our LEOs chase petty shit due to quotas.

And this goes with Crosscheck's point about the war on drugs too. I won't argue those points, I just don't think they add up to a case against stringent gun control.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:04 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
NYIntensity wrote:

And this goes with Crosscheck's point about the war on drugs too. I won't argue those points, I just don't think they add up to a case against stringent gun control.

The answer is not always MOAR LAWS & REGULATION. MOAR GOVERNMENT INVOLVEMENT!

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:08 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I agree. But just because laws are not the only answer doesn't mean that they're not part of the answer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7