It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:22 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Figured i'd start a game day thread for the bills tomorrow. even though i'm predicting them to get trounced by the patriots. it is still buffalo's football team and they are playing tomorrow night. The TO regular season show and the bionic Tom Brady return.

Bills-Patriots Week 1 preview
Mike Lipka, The Associated Press
Posted Sep 11, 2009
AA
The New England Patriots' defense will have a distinctly different look to begin coach Bill Belichick's 10th season in Foxborough, but the three-time Super Bowl champions will be happy to have a familiar face again at the helm of their offense.

Tom Brady will be back under center to open the season Monday night after he missed nearly all of last year due to injury, and he'll be hoping to lead the Patriots to an NFL-record 12th straight win against a single opponent.

That foe is the AFC East rival Buffalo Bills, who will feature newcomer Terrell Owens in an offense that still has plenty of questions to answer after its coordinator was fired barely a week before the first game.

There aren't many concerns about the Patriots' ability to score with Brady back. The 2007 NFL MVP, who set a league record with 50 touchdown passes that year while leading the team to a 16-0 regular season, played less than a quarter in 2008 before tearing his left ACL when he was hit by Kansas City's Bernard Pollard.

Backup Matt Cassel played well in his absence as New England became just the second team ever to miss the playoffs after going 11-5.

Cassel, though, was dealt to the Chiefs and the reins of the unit are back in Brady's hands. He'll have some familiar weapons at his disposal, such as top wide receivers Randy Moss and Wes Welker, and some new ones to use, like veterans Fred Taylor and Joey Galloway.

"I've played a lot of games, so it's not like it's the first game of my rookie season, that type of excitement," Brady said. "I think there's just an excitement for a new season and to see what kind of team we have and to see what kind of mental toughness we have and what kind of character we have."

The Patriots will also be curious to see what kind of defense they have after mainstays Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison and Richard Seymour all departed via trade or retirement. Seymour was surprisingly dealt to Oakland on Sept. 6 for a 2011 first-round draft pick.

The unit will take on a younger look, led by linebacker Jerod Mayo, the NFL's top defensive rookie last year. New England also seems to have improved its secondary after adding cornerbacks Leigh Bodden and Shawn Springs and drafting safety Patrick Chung with its first pick early in the second round.

"We have a lot of good leaders on our team and especially on the defensive side of the ball," Belichick said. "No doubt about it, it's different, but I think it's good."

Whoever has played for the Patriots has been good enough the last 11 times they have faced Buffalo - and often by a wide margin. The average score during the streak has been 29-9, and New England outscored the Bills 94-17 in two wins the last time Brady faced them in 2007.

No NFL team has ever won 12 straight against one opponent, and the Bills would have to pull off a major upset to avoid that fate. They've never won at Gillette Stadium, losing eight straight at New England since a 16-13 overtime win Nov. 5, 2000.

Buffalo added the controversial Owens following its third straight 7-9 season, but its offense has hardly clicked. After offensive coordinator Turk Schonert installed a new no-huddle attack during the offseason, the first-team offense managed three points in 15 preseason series, and Schonert was fired Sept. 4.

"(Bills coach Dick Jauron) wants a Pop Warner offense," Schonert said. "He limited me in formations and limited me in plays."

Schonert was replaced with former Bills quarterback Alex Van Pelt, who is still expected to employ a no-huddle approach.

"This is going to be a little bit of a transition for us," Owens said. "We have to take accountability, we have to go out there and jell with one another and go out there and play."

Asked Wednesday if he liked playing without a huddle, Owens said, "No, not really, but I gotta deal with it." Owens later posted a note on his Twitter page insisting that he was "clearly joking."

This will be the fourth team in the last seven years for the enigmatic but talented 35-year-old, who had his ninth 1,000-yard receiving season last year with Dallas.

Trent Edwards will be the newest quarterback trying to get Owens the ball. Edwards led the Bills to a 4-0 start last season before they stumbled down the stretch, losing eight of their last 10. He'll begin this season without his starting running back, as Marshawn Lynch was suspended for the first three games after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge in March.

Another key spot on offense will be also in doubt after the Bills released starting left tackle Langston Walker on Tuesday. Second-year man Demetrius Bellwill make his first career start protecting Edwards' blind side.

"I think we've come a long way," Jauron said. "We'll find out on Monday night how far we've come. It's not going to be easy, there's no doubt about that. There's a lot of worry."

Jauron has returned for a fourth season as the Bills coach even though his contract ran out last year, and he may be under pressure to show some early signs of progress.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:26 am 
Star Sniper

Too late... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11

ETC's Pub is where the game will be watched. Check out the specials!

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:30 am 
Sober enough to run a server

Quote:
No NFL team has ever won 12 straight against one opponent, and the Bills would have to pull off a major upset to avoid that fate.

The Bills love setting those sorts of records....lovely.

icehound
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:48 am 
Star Sniper

The line on this game is 11-1/2...

Geeeeez. Wish I had a couple grand to toss at that action. It'll probably be a three score game by the half....

Los9090
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:55 am 
Superstar Goalie

Its not going to be pretty.

Rutledge222
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:35 am 
Power Forward

If anyone is a gambler you should throw some money down on the bills. lol. If they win you could become very rich very fast. lol.

On a more serious note. Im really hoping they win, they prolly wont but I am sick of seeing us lose to them all the time.... it has to end here.

icehound
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:46 am 
Star Sniper

...ummmm....We'd all LIKE to believe it has to end soon.

Truth is: It doesn't...

The O-line hasn't played a (game-situation) down together.
The OC can't decide whether to go "no-huddle" or not.
The D-line doesn't have the bodies or experience to bottle up the middle.
Our DE's are aging and/or slower and/or nicked up.
Our secondary, though talented, is inexperienced and undisciplined.
Our QB is starting to suffer the Bledsoe/Losman syndrome: Too many schemes in consecutive seasons.
Our head coach can't manage the clock, the replay, or know when to play conservatively - Injecting stupid trickery when it's least needed.
Our number-one RB is out for three games.
Our leading WR is a volatile prima donna who could go thermonuclear at any given moment.
We have neither blocking nor receiving TE threats, to speak of.

And our only saving grace is a punter with God's right-foot, on him.

...other than that, we should simply gut the Patriots, on MNF - Where we have a proven history of embarassing ourselves.

Like I said: Wish I had a coupla gee's to toss at Vegas - I'd be buying drinks for all of you, at the next MNG - In Jamaica.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

End The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:50 am 
Star Sniper

Maybe the Bills can punt them to death?

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

icehound
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:54 am 
Star Sniper

End The Curse wrote:
Maybe the Bills can punt them to death?

Believe me, when I tell you this: I actually thought up a strategy by which the Bills constantly quick-kick, keep the NE offense on the field, and rely on turnovers and defensive TD's to keep the game close...

Sounds pretty fucking crazy, I know - But, what the hell? Ya gotta do something. Right?

...make the game interesting?

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:56 am 

I like it Ice....it would at least make the game entertaining.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:03 pm 
Star Sniper

Sounds as good as anything else. Actually, I would recommend 3 Hail Mary's and a punt on every possession. Turnover is as good as a punt, if not better, and who knows how the ball may bounce if you try it enough times.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:07 pm 

End The Curse wrote:
Sounds as good as anything else. Actually, I would recommend 3 Hail Mary's and a punt on every possession.

I LOL'd

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:32 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... winning-TD

At least we have this play to watch if the game becomes that bad. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... winning-TD . As well Jay Leno's show starts tonight and there is a yankee's game.

I still can't believe the Geico play of the day was sanchez's first touchdown pass i mean come on this play is of far greater importance.

psychemedisabrefan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:33 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

as well they said on the radio the game starts at 7

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:07 pm 

psychemedisabrefan wrote:
as well they said on the radio the game starts at 7

Yeah, it starts at 7.
Think about the west coast people...you can't have Monday "night" football start at 3:30 in the afternoon.
It's usually 8pm EST.

Los9090
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:29 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I can see it now, Bills blow a 20 point lead and the winning Patriot touchdown will be a cheapie play that the Broncos pulled off against the Bengals.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:40 pm 
Star Sniper

Los9090 wrote:
I can see it now, Bills blow a 20 point lead and the winning Patriot touchdown will be a cheapie play that the Broncos pulled off against the Bengals.

Bills with a 20 point lead? No, you cannot and will not see it.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:35 pm 
Star Sniper

"I gotta bad feelin bout dis....."

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

dontbethatguy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:50 pm 
Brawler

I am interested in knowing what will you people be doing tonight when the game is on? Well I'm more interested in knowing how drunk you'll be after the first half.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:52 pm 
Cup Winner

End The Curse wrote:
Los9090 wrote:

Bills with a 20 point lead? No, you cannot and will not see it.

The Bills blew a 20 point lead or whatever it was against Dallas a few years ago on MNF.

They have the history of trying to lose the game when leading on MNF.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next