It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

icehound
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:31 pm 
Star Sniper

Derek Jeter has just tied The Iron Horse, for most hits as a New York Yankee.

I realize there aren't a great number of Yankee fans, and more than enough of their detractors, but this is truly an amazing feat for the captain of this team.

In an MLB career that's spanned 14 years (thus far) it's hard to believe that he's eaten up enough ground to break a 72 year-old record. It seems he's done it so quietly and unassumingly.

Congratulations, Derek Jeter - You are unique in your sportsmanship and leadership. A fine and rare example of athleticism; especially in an age of sport driven by image and sensationalism.

What a great team-player. Solid.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:39 pm 
Captain Dynasty

horrible at defense. has herpes. and is a douche bag. (i know the latter personally)

but yes, offensively, he is the prototypical number 2 hitter. i have to give probs to his offensive accomplishments. but overall, very overrated ballplayer when looking at the whole spectrum.

icehound
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:43 pm 
Star Sniper

He may be a douche and have the herp - I don't know, either way.

But, he ain't that bad on "D"...It's not like he's Alfonso Soriano or Milton Bradley or something...

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:50 pm 
Captain Dynasty

heres a jeter story. hes from kalamazoo, and i went to college in the zoo. every winter, he came back to town. and every time he was home, he would go to the big college bar off campus, the fire house (ironically, it burnt down recently).. big frat bar, but we went because they had good bar specials.

anyways, so hes there, and the section off a whole wing of this bar for him and his entourage. well, the son of a bitch is dating jessica alba at the time, and he keeps calling in girl after girl to drink with him in his little area. after a while, all the hot skirts were going in there to fuck jeter, and us regular college joes are left at a sausage fest.

oh, and he was kinda a dick to the waitresses.

there was a time when jeter was rated the worst defensive short stop in the major leagues. he cant go to his right to field a ball effeciently as well. has a below average arm, and horrific range.

BUT he can hit for average and get on base, which is pretty valuable. while i very strongly dislike jeter, i cant deny hes a very very good ball player. but he is no mantle, no gehrig, no ruth, no joltin joe, no kaline, no rose, ect. and he is not even in the same breath as the great ty cobb.

icehound
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:55 pm 
Star Sniper

I'm not gonna put him in the "pantheon" of sports, just yet - But, he's been consistent and plays "little ball" better than the average bear...

Right now, he's 80 hits ahead of Rose at the same number of games played.

That's pretty significant. It's sport - And I prefer to treat is as "the best a (hu)man can do." I prefer to keep the crap out of it, even though I'm not naive enough to pretend it doesn't exist.

Wozniak
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:45 am 
Franchise Defenseman

this is indeed a great accomplishment by Jeter and one that i more or less think is rightfully his.

granted his defense might not be that great, but like Ice said, he doesnt suck. His defense was never that good to begin with. His first year in the show he had something like 56 errors and while his jump-twist-throw plays would probably be unnecessary for a "great" shortstop it is still one impressive and exciting play to watch. So while he might be #30 in shortstop defense, hes still the 30th best person playing shortstop in all of baseball which, to me, is still pretty cool.

His fielding has gotten a lot better this year though.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

Howie Hodge
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:53 am 
Star Sniper

Indeed I hate The Spankees; but a tip of the hat for Jeter. :doh:

-Bowler, imitating Freddy Blassie, at the very first M & G.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:57 am 
Captain Dynasty

you mean his "silouette" move, woz? shit, he does that for a ball he moves to his left on. and of course, when the runner is safe, "ERROR GIVEN TO TEXEIRA ON THE PLAY!"

but seriously, hes a very very good ball player, and i cant take that away from him. and yes, i know im naive, but the off the field stuff effects my opinion of someone. these are people i cheer for, and hurt for, and on occassion, i cry for. i dont think its too much of me to ask that they not be assholes to the people who are responsible for their success (to a degree)... sports are all about the fans.

Wozniak
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:47 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

it just kind of sucked that the weather was horrible.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:05 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I'm a hardcore Red Sox fan, and even I can give full credit to Jeter for this accomplishment.