It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 pm 
Captain Clutch

Quote:
VANCOUVER -- Team USA coach Ron Wilson departed the Olympics on Sunday with the same brash take-no-prisoners attitude that defined his team's march to the silver medal.

Less than 30 minutes after his team lost a heartbreaking, 3-2, overtime decision in one of the best gold-medal games played in Olympic history, Wilson remained on the offensive.

"It's tough to lose a game that way," Wilson said to open his press conference. "I couldn't have asked anything more of our players. They did us proud. They played hard for 60-some minutes, right to the end in regulation and made a great play and found a way to finish us off. But, we are very proud of every one of our players -- their character, how hard they tried, their comportment here has been excellent.

"It's just a shame that both teams couldn't have received a gold medal today. Sometimes, the best team in the tournament doesn't win a gold medal. I thought our team played as well as any team I have ever coached."

That's right, Wilson went there. He said Canada wasn't the best team in the 2010 Olympic hockey tournament, despite the fact that his players were wearing silver around their necks. And, he said it with Mike Babcock, the Canadian coach, sitting right next to him at the podium.

Wilson, though, was just getting warmed up in the closing act of what has been an incredible two weeks of hockey; a tournament, it should be noted, that was headlined as much about the quality of a young American team that played well beyond expectations as much as by a Canadian team that scuffled mightily before finishing golden.

In fact, he used the first question of the press conference to press his point even further. This despite the fact the question was about NHL players being allowed to play in Sochi, Russia, the site of the next Winter Olympics in 2014.

He said he hopes players are allowed to go and, if they are, that they be allowed extra travel time and, also, that the games are played on the smaller, North American ice surface and not the traditional European sheet, which is 20 feet wider.

"I would hope that they play the games on this ice surface, because the games are so much better," Wilson said. "The game tonight had so much intensity. Canada and the United States play the game like it should be -- not sitting back and playing on your heels and waiting for something bad to happen and counter-punching, but actually going on the attack.

"I know Mike (Babcock)'s teams play that way and I try to play that way, not very successfully right now with my team in Toronto."

That crack at the Maple Leafs, Wilson's current NHL home, drew ripples of laughter from the packed press conference. But, Wilson wasn't laughing.

"It's nothing to laugh at," he snapped. "I'm teaching them to play the right way; not the Slovakian, Czech or Russian way where you sit back and wait and wait and wait. We are on the attack." :o :o

Furthermore, Wilson loved the results of that hell-bent-for-glory style when it came to Team USA.

Not even the disappointing silver it delivered could tarnish Wilson's enthusiasm for what his team's willingness to attack -- and Canada's willingness to reciprocate -- had created Sunday afternoon at Canada Hockey Place.

For the better part of three hours, a Team Canada ordained to wear gold threw haymakers at the Americans. Each time, Team USA answered. The result was a brutal ballet that demanded the best of the 42 skaters blessed to take part, as well as the two goalies -- American Ryan Miller and Canadian Roberto Luongo.

It didn't end until 7:40 into overtime when Canada's Sidney Crosby -- only the best player in the world -- delivered a stunning coup de grace that finally put the Americans down for the count.

"This was a classic hockey game, just as our game was a week ago with the Canadians and to me it is exactly the way the game should be played, Wilson said. "To me, the game was invented in Canada and I think we in the United States have morphed into the same style of play, and it is fun to play that way and I hope Mike agrees."

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

fly as hale
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:43 pm 
Mrs. Miller

zanggg. dems fightin' words.

I think he's mostly bummed that Ryan Miller isn't his goalie anymore. Have you ever heard Ron Wilson talk about him (I'm talking pre-Olympics too)? He gushes like a school girl.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

Wozniak
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:44 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

i liked it up to the part where they said "sidney crosby-the best player in the world..."

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:54 pm 
Captain Dynasty

With Canada's talent, and the motivation to win gold at home, they should have rolled through everyone. I thought they seriously lacked heart. Still, they did win.

sabresindc
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:57 pm 
Captain Clutch

Wozniak wrote:
i liked it up to the part where they said "sidney crosby-the best player in the world..."

yeah, that really pissed me off. That was just wrong for them to say since Miller was voted the MVP and Crosby wasn't even recognized by the IIHF http://www.iihf.com/en/channels10/olympics-2010/news/news-singleview-world-championship-2009/article/miller-gets-mvp-honours.html

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:58 pm 
Cup Winner

Wozniak wrote:

Do they forget Alex Ovechkin's 89 points in 54 games in the NHL season or something, compared to Crosby's 78 in 61 games or something?

It was a great read, and was true. Both teams deserved to get that Gold Medal, the only thing I had wished if USA were to lose, was Crosby not being the one to score the winner. I'm proud of my Team USA hockey team for making everyone eat crow to where they were going to finish.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

BS1970
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:31 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Wozniak wrote:

Do they forget Alex Ovechkin's 89 points in 54 games in the NHL season or something, compared to Crosby's 78 in 61 games or something?

It was a great read, and was true. Both teams deserved to get that Gold Medal, the only thing I had wished if USA were to lose, was Crosby not being the one to score the winner. I'm proud of my Team USA hockey team for making everyone eat crow to where they were going to finish.

That's exactly what I said when I heard Crosby's name after the goal. I was like fuck, there are 17 other players on that team, and it just had to be him...

Image Image
We truly are not worthy of Miller!

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:41 am 
Page Side

I've got a lot more respect for Ron Wilson after this tournament.

BS1970
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:00 am 
Franchise Defenseman

I posted it in the GDT, but I don't think anyone saw it because it was the last post of the page, but...

Team USA in 2014 is going to be amazing. A lot of our players now will be in their prime and playing even better than they were now. As long as they can keep a level head instead of letting their ego get to high then we'll be great, and I know Miller won't be the same then as he is now, but I'm sure he could still steal a game or 2 for us, unless we have an even better goalie then.

So here's to 2014 and a gold to the US!!

Image Image
We truly are not worthy of Miller!

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:32 am 
Cup Winner

BS1970 wrote:
I posted it in the GDT, but I don't think anyone saw it because it was the last post of the page, but...

Team USA in 2014 is going to be amazing. A lot of our players now will be in their prime and playing even better than they were now. As long as they can keep a level head instead of letting their ego get to high then we'll be great, and I know Miller won't be the same then as he is now, but I'm sure he could still steal a game or 2 for us, unless we have an even better goalie then.

So here's to 2014 and a gold to the US!!

I agree also, I posted basically the same thing on my facebook.

and miller will only be 32 at that time, it's not like he's not going to either be better or be where he is now.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Los9090
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:08 am 
Superstar Goalie

Don't know how we'll do in Russia...will they resort to the wider European ice. That seems to give the USA and Canada a huge disadvantage.

jvaccaro6
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:09 am 
Certifiably Hotter than ETC

Los9090 wrote:
Don't know how we'll do in Russia...will they resort to the wider European ice. That seems to give the USA and Canada a huge disadvantage.

This is where I disagree, I think that it gives your skill players the opportunity to use open space, and your offensive defensive men the ability to jump into the play. Personally I think it's a better situation, and leads to better hockey.

Squanto 7/27/2010

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:10 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Here's to hoping that NHL and NHLPA come to an agreement on 2014 to allow NHL players to be there!!

Los9090
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:12 am 
Superstar Goalie

jvaccaro6 wrote:
Los9090 wrote:

This is where I disagree, I think that it gives your skill players the opportunity to use open space, and your offensive defensive men the ability to jump into the play. Personally I think it's a better situation, and leads to better hockey.

Yeah, but look how bad American teams have done on the European ice.

End The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:13 am 
Star Sniper

I like his determination and fight. He could have been a bit more gracious, yes, but I have no problem with what he said.

Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh lord, it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can.

patkane88
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:15 am 
Captain Clutch

Los9090 wrote:
jvaccaro6 wrote:
Los9090 wrote:

Yeah, but look how bad American teams have done on the European ice.

Agreed, especially in Torino. Both Canada and the USA were pretty bad, 7th and 8th :oops:

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

nnyfan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:36 am 
Textbook Grinder

There should be regulation size ice for the olympics...imho.

The day after...I'm not so irritated at the game yesterday...I'm kind of chuckling, in fact. Silver is nothing to sneeze at, after all and OF COURSE the JERK (thank you for fixing my sentence ehnancement, Squanto LOL) just HAD to score the GWG. Its so sad, its almost funny. Its like a really ugly baby is really kinda cute....when you squint.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Well, the IIHF ice size is standard, and has been used at the Olympics for years.

Vancouver wanted to use NHL regulation ice so they could simply use GM Place and not have to build a new arena.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:53 pm 
Captain Dynasty

eh, im sure GM place is like other arenas, and can be adjusted to international ice. the problem is it reduces seating (as half the seating in lower bowls of new arenas are temporary, adjustable seating) im slightly surprised the canucks didnt use this as an opportunity to build a new arena. GM place isnt old, but it isnt new. likely, theyll be seeking out a new arena within 10 years. of course, GM place did undergo a big renovation including a new scoreboard and sound system, and LED ribbon.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:10 am 
Cup Winner

I don't think you can remove enough seats to make 15 feet on each side, basically the removable seats are the first three rows or so, and that isn't nearly 15 feet on each side of the ice.

NHL ice is a much more physical game also, and it makes the hockey better in my opinion. I like hard crushing checks instead of a few very fast players only having to dangle their way down the ice since hits don't happen often enough on International ice.

Rud wrote: