It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
Squanto
 Post subject: World Cup 2010
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:11 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I LOVE watching the world cup.

I'm currently watching a Univision stream in Spanish of MEX / RSA ,and I can't understand a SINGLE WORD they're saying. Yet it's somehow awesome.

Sabresfansince1980
 Post subject: Re: World Cup 2010
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:35 am 
Star Sniper

I've watched the World Cup since 1986, and since have paid more attention to the qualifying rounds leading up to it. I have tried very hard to learn more and enjoy the game more. But...can these farcking puss bags STOP DIVING!?!?!?

Euros relish in the "ability" to bait a call from the referee, and it's maddening to me. Half the time the player diving ends up hurting his own team by ruining what would have been a great chance to advance the ball. I can't count all the great match-ups that have become unwatchable with all the fake drama.

That said, since France was able to eliminate Ireland with a blatent hand ball goal, I'm down to my other favorites - Germany, Netherlands, and USA for the patriotic sentiment.

Rud
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:16 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Couldn't believe it when that South African player put a shot off the post with one minute left to go. Watching Uruguay and France play now

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:18 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Rud wrote:
Couldn't believe it when that South African player put a shot off the post with one minute left to go. Watching Uruguay and France play now

Same. That was pretty sick.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:21 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

There's gonna be a viewing party at Papa Jake's on Elmwood tomorrow for the USMNT v England match. Anyone else going? I am.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:22 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Grrr...i'm at work, and not able to see the games today. they were SUPPOSED to be showing them in the cafe on a huge-ass projection system, but the dude responsible LOST THE ONLY REMOTE HE HAS FOR THE PROJECTOR. Apparently you HAVE to use the remote...i'm looking around for a kitten to punch.

As for the diving...yes, players dive sometimes. What's even more tiresome is to hear the entirety of the sport summed up as "Those fuckers diving all over the place". Seriously, we're hockey fans...do we not see plenty of that in 'our' game? I'm guessing there isnt a single sport in the world where athletes dont attempt to embellish the truth to get a call to go their way. hell, how many times have we heard "He's trying his best to make himself bleed" after a high-sticking call?

/diving rant.

GO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets get colonial on those british fucks!

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:27 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I loved the goal celebration by South Africa today. An upset would have been ridiculous, but the draw is huge nonetheless.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:16 am 
Star Sniper

Raleigh, I'm not one of those people just putting down the sport. I enjoy the game - I'm a fan, but clearly diving is a major issue. There are websites and sports news shows in Europe dedicated to exploiting and ranking divers in an effort to embarrass them. FIFA and especially UEFA has not done enough to reduce the diving to a reasonable level and bring more credibility to the game. Of course hockey and other sports has their share of diving or general cheating, but in soccer it has been ridiculous at times. Take a look at just one of dozens of sites that address the issue (and they're not US writers)...

http://blogs.reuters.com/soccer/tag/diving/

Today's matches were fairly well played, with little BS, and they were great to watch. We'll see how it goes when Spain, Italy, and other UEFA clubs go head to head. At least in hockey there is contact before a dive. With some of these players they don't even have enough conscience to get touched before the fake drama comes out. Just because I like hockey though, doesn't mean I ignore the faults (like head shots, crappy reffing, inadequate replays for goals). Other sports have their own issues that I'd be happy to rant about, and soccer has diving...and it's pretty damn pathetic at times, and I won't ignore it just because I'm a soccer fan.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:54 am 
Thy Horror Cosmic

USMNT vs ENG today. Helllll yeaaaaaaa!

Rud
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:56 am 
Superstar Goalie

One of my friends is going to record the match between USA and England. We plan on watching it later tonight. I better get off the internet unless I want it spoiled for me.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:11 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Well, I gave it a fair shake yet again.
Sorry, this sport is boring as sin and those damn African horns make this garbage unwatchable.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:16 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i am watching, but yeah, this is boring.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:19 pm 
Captain Dynasty

BUT! im going to pay attention. i want to become a soccer fan (futbol) and i hate england, so. there we go.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:27 pm 

Ties make me angry.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:18 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Raleigh, I'm not one of those people just putting down the sport. I enjoy the game - I'm a fan, but clearly diving is a major issue. There are websites and sports news shows in Europe dedicated to exploiting and ranking divers in an effort to embarrass them. FIFA and especially UEFA has not done enough to reduce the diving to a reasonable level and bring more credibility to the game. Of course hockey and other sports has their share of diving or general cheating, but in soccer it has been ridiculous at times. Take a look at just one of dozens of sites that address the issue (and they're not US writers)...

http://blogs.reuters.com/soccer/tag/diving/

Today's matches were fairly well played, with little BS, and they were great to watch. We'll see how it goes when Spain, Italy, and other UEFA clubs go head to head. At least in hockey there is contact before a dive. With some of these players they don't even have enough conscience to get touched before the fake drama comes out. Just because I like hockey though, doesn't mean I ignore the faults (like head shots, crappy reffing, inadequate replays for goals). Other sports have their own issues that I'd be happy to rant about, and soccer has diving...and it's pretty damn pathetic at times, and I won't ignore it just because I'm a soccer fan.

Dude, this is just a case of you reminding me of something that annoys me without fully doing it yourself, I wasnt really referring to you...ha, it is certainly a widespread enough opinion that i've heard it from multiple people.

I agree, it's shameful and hurtful to the sport. I'd be very much in favor of them allowing a referree watching the live feeds, and then subsequent slow-mo replays to decide critical things like PK's.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:47 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

As for the result today, meh, granted a tie is supposed to be some sort of coup for us against England, but it was very unsatisfying because of how our goal was scored. If altidore had buried that beautiful chance to tie the game at 1 THAT would have been more of a success, this game doesnt, and SHOULDNT, feel like a coup...more like we somehow danced around the samurai's blade and avoided getting our heads cut off. Whatever, if we can come out strong against slovania and Algeria then we'll know the guys have their heads screwed on straight.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:58 pm 
Star Sniper

I can only hope England is that good to make the US defense look so bad. I know the US is 2nd tier at best, but damn did they look awful at times. I see the US taking care of Algeria and Slovenia, taking 2nd place in the group based on goal differential, and losing to Germany in the 2nd round. It will be almost identical to 2002 in South Korea.

Tvan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:50 am 
7th Defenseman

Crosscheck wrote:
Ties make me angry.

Me too...it's so anticlimatic. I tried to watch, but since I don't understand the rules, it's not all that interesting to me. I guess a draw is good.

England has never beaten the US in World Cup play...innnnnnnneresting.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:29 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
I can only hope England is that good to make the US defense look so bad. I know the US is 2nd tier at best, but damn did they look awful at times. I see the US taking care of Algeria and Slovenia, taking 2nd place in the group based on goal differential, and losing to Germany in the 2nd round. It will be almost identical to 2002 in South Korea.

haha, hell, as long as we get to beat mexico in the elimination round again that would be FINE with me.

I was living in San diego at the time, and was 'friends' with all the mexican dudes in the kitchen of the restaurant I was waiting tables at. Coming in the next day after knocking Mexico out was perhaps the sweetest moment ever. They'd been all cocky as HELL beforehand. The next day I come in, they're all silent, heads down, quietly handing over the ten bucks I bet each of them. Niiiice.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:56 am 

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
haha, hell, as long as we get to beat mexico in the elimination round again that would be FINE with me.

:lol:
Yeah, that would make for an interesting couple days around here ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next