It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:32 pm 
Captain Dynasty

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

michigan ranked 20, alabama running away with the number 1 ranking.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:34 pm 
Captain Dynasty

James Madison got 11 votes, lmao

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:35 pm 
Captain Dynasty

who are the four idiots at the USA today that voted for Virginia Tech? Are you fucking kidding me?

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:09 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
who are the four idiots at the USA today that voted for Virginia Tech? Are you fucking kidding me?

Exactly why college football is nonsense without a postseason playoff.

Those moronic votes COUNT.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:44 pm 
Captain Dynasty

a team rated in the top 25 is given 2 consecutive loses before falling out of the voting completely. its typically a courtesy.

fuck a playoff system. i hope that never happens in my lifetime. i dont even like conference championship games.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:48 pm 
Captain Dynasty

also, the usa today poll no matter counts towards anything. its the AP and coaches poll.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:02 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

The 'national championship' is the result of a single game played between two teams that may or may not be the best two teams in the nation. Having votes that are very subjective makes it a flawed system.

Give the 5 BCS conferences an automatic bid. Select 11 teams at large from all conferences. Make a 16 team bracket, there's your premier bowl games. Give the smaller schools a legitimate look at it, and doesn't penalize 2nd /3rd place teams in a power conference for not going undefeated.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:05 pm 
Captain Dynasty

go back to the 97 and prior system. where rankings and conference winners determine what bowl you go to, and the team that finishes number 1 wins it. the BCS sucks. the charm of college football is the post season bowls.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:11 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

The system prior to the BCS allowed for split national champions. It was just as shit as the BCS.

You can still have your bowl games and have a playoff system. It actually makes the bowl games better because there is more on the line.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:18 pm 
Captain Dynasty

you can also have a 9-2 team beat an 11-0 team in the BCS game and become the national champions.

im only one person, but i dont think the NCAA is going to implement a playoff system for a very long time.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:22 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
you can also have a 9-2 team beat an 11-0 team in the BCS game and become the national champions.

Except that it's almost impossible for that scenario to occur under the current system.

The BCS system is not built to find the best team in the nation. It's built to ensure the BCS conferences keep getting all that BCS money.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:23 pm 
Captain Dynasty

2007 LSU tigers. first 2 loss team to win a national championship.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:39 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

And every year, there's a deserving team that doesn't get a look at it because of the BCS. No offense, but the 'look it happened once' argument doesn't hold water.

If your goal is to continue to make money for the BCS conferences, then keep it as it is.

If your goal is to reward the best team in the country with the national championship football, the system needs to change. Any system that involves subjective voting will never give you a correct result.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:44 pm 
Captain Dynasty

and thats a completely valid point. but...

college football is built on tradition. more so then any other sport, by a large margin. to implement a playoff system would piss off so many people, so many cities where these bowl games happen, and so much more. conference play would mean less. a loss wouldnt be as devastating. a loss pretty much puts your behind the 8 ball. a playoff system would mean alot less passion involved.

it would change the college football landscape so much, and piss off SO many people, including boosters who keep these programs going, it wont happen. not in my life time, i think.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:51 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Tradition is stupid when it continues at the expense of the teams involved, the fans, or both. As much as I want to pine for the "good old days" for a lot of things, the truth is times change. Things evolve, and sports need to evolve with them.

Here are some of the problems I see with college football:
The current system does little to determine a national champion, but it is better because it guarantees contenders will have to play legitimate competition outside their conference at least once a year.

Non-BCS schools are often discounted for no real reason other than that they're simply not from a BCS conference. BCS conference teams have fluff schedules too. Time to get them on a more equal footing without forcing them to jump conferences or become independent. A playoff would do that.

The voters are idiots. It's just true. Certain schools, like Michigan, Penn State, Florida, Ohio State, Texas, and Oklahoma have an advantage over schools such as Iowa, Cincinnati, Kansas/Kansas St. and Missouri based on NAME ALONE. That's just fucking retarded.

And I don't even have to mention too many games being blowouts and the annoyance of tactics such as scheduling patsies or running up the score.

Virtually no one is satisfied with the current system. The fans aren't satisfied because it looks like a joke. The teams aren't satisfied because the BCS just plays musical screwjob, the non-BCS schools aren't satisfied because they can't get a fair shake unless they schedule "neutral site" games in the home state of their BCS opponent.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:58 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I reject the supposition that a 16 team playoff would make conference games mean less. That just seems like something people say with no real evidence to show how it could be true. Especially for conferences that play a weak OOC schedule. For a lot of teams, that's all they have.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:04 pm 
Captain Dynasty

In 1997, I am positive that the Green Bay Packers deserved to win the Super Bowl.
I am positive that the Florida Marlins deserved to win the World Series.
I am positive that the Detroit Red Wings deserved to win the Stanley Cup.
I am positive that the Chicago Bulls deserved to win the NBA Championship.

I have no fucking idea who should have been national champion. Nebrasigan.

Rinse and repeat in 2003. University of Southern Calihoma.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:07 pm 
Captain Dynasty

If you have a 16 game playoff out of 65 BCS teams, and we'll say 2 non-BCS teams that matter in any given year.

16/67 = 24%

less than

NFL - 12/32 - 38%
NHL - 16/30 - 53%
NBA - 16/30 - 53%
NASCAR - 12/35 - 34%
MLB - 8/30 - 27%

Doesn't seem very diluted to me.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:11 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Sorry Mike, but the current system seems too much like guesswork and witchcraft to me, and gives too much of an advantage to big name schools, even over their BCS conference counterparts.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:20 pm 
Captain Dynasty

in all fairness, the people who want college football changed are the people who dont live and die with it. kinda like how all the new soccer fans wanted change in the way things are done in the world cup. im sure there are exceptions.

the current system is flawed, but its been ranking based since the 1890s. the BCS was a radical change that has met alot of disdain. no one wants it.

of course several schools get favourable voting. they historically bring in the best talent, hence why they are so successful for so long. and im so sick of people bitching about weak OOC scheduling. if everyone wants these lesser conferences to become more relevant in college football, then some of those teams should start to beat to major schools. i guarantee you if boise state was in a major conference, they are looking at an 8-4 season, or 9-3 at best. maybe if they want to become an elite program, its time to move to a major conference. god knows every conference would kill for that regional coverage

(did you know that by expanding to nebraska, the big 10 network reaches millions of new viewers, and every household that gets the station gets the station 88 cents a month? thats the ONLY reason conferences are expanding)

a playoff system would fix certain things, but the pizzaz of the sport would be gone. it would just be a mini nfl. and what makes college so great is that the intensity and passion are ten-fold.

it wont happen. not for a very long time. and the people that dont like it dont have to watch it. its not like college is short on fans.

i also presume college football, while big, im sure, isnt as big over by you guys as it is here. i mean, everyone loves the lions here, but when it comes to football, the NFL comes in a very distant second to michigan football, and MSU football.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next