It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:12 pm 
Captain Dynasty

http://espn.go.com/college-football/ran ... l/2/week/1

RANKINGS
ARE
OUT!

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:11 pm 
Star Sniper

Has Boise St ever been ranked that high to start the season?

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:40 pm 
Captain Dynasty

no

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:13 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Go Blue.

Go to hell Buckeyes.

That sums up everything I have to say about college football.
See you next year.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:28 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Penn St., Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Ohio St. are all too high

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:41 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Big 10 Out of Conference Schedule

--Ohio St.--
Marshall (7-6 C-USA)
Miami (Fl) (9-4 ACC)
Ohio (9-5 MAC East)
Eastern Michigan (0-12 MAC West)

--Iowa--
Eastern Illinois (8-4 Ohio Valley Conference (I-AA))
Iowa St. (7-6 Big 12 North)
Arizona (8-5 PAC 10)
Ball St. (2-10 MAC West)

--Wisconsin--
UNLV (5-7 Mountain West)
San Jose St. (2-10 WAC)
Arizona St. (4-8 PAC 10)
Austin Peay (4-7 Ohio Valley Conference (I-AA))

--Penn St.--
Youngstown State (6-5 Missouri Valley Football Conference (I-AA))
Alabama (HOLY CRAP A REAL OPPONENT! 14-0 SEC West)
Kent St. (5-7 MAC East)
Temple (9-4 MAC East)

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:00 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ever major conference schedules cream puff soft out of conference teams. why is this a "big 10" issue?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:25 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Crosscheck wrote:
Go Blue.

Go to hell Buckeyes.

That sums up everything I have to say about college football.
See you next year.

only good post of this thread (minus mine) so far in this thread. and its going to be hard to top.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:47 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Because the big ten does it worse than most. Look at Penn St's schedule last year. Akron, Syracuse, Temple, and Eastern Illinois. Akron, Syracuse, and Temple were a combined 16-21, and none of the three are from a conference worth a damn so that record looks even worse. Eastern Illinois was 8-4, but they're a DI-AA school.

It's like the schools rotate which of them has to play one legit out of conference opponent every year. At least Penn St. schedules a GOOD I-AA school, unlike someone who beat the shit out of Delaware St. last year. But then again, we don't want to repeat history, do we?

Not saying it isn't a problem everywhere, but the Big Ten, Particularly Penn State is notorious for scheduling a year full of creampuffs to go undefeated. The conference really isn't that good to begin with, they should be scheduling BETTER out of conference opponents to sate the BCS computers and voters like USC had to for years because the PAC 10 was garbage.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:56 pm 
Captain Dynasty

you do realize that its widely accepted that app state would have beaten almost anyone in the top 25, right? they were that good. its only considered a major upset by those who dont watch the sport that closely.

also, take it up with those smaller schools. they offer the big 10 money and contracts, they want the exposure. the big 10 doesnt target them, they target the big 10.

but by all means, continue to blame the big 10.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:02 pm 
Captain Dynasty

also, pretty weaksauce for the big 10 to go out and target major schools for expansion, like texas. they only got nebraska. weak weak conference :roll:

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:14 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I root for Rutgers. Have for years, quietly. I don't know why, but they're my college football team. Go Scarlet Knights!

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:23 pm 
Captain Dynasty

they were pretty awesome a few years ago, if my memory serves me well.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:24 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

The season after I started following them, they rattled off four straight wins to start the season. It was pretty awesome.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:58 am 
Captain Dynasty

I hate anyone that schedules a creampuff schedule. I think as of last season there were only three schools that had never scheduled a I-AA opponent. One of them was USC. I pretty much pull for anyone Cowherd pulls for because I don't really watch college football. I try to follow it as a whole, but the games themselves are terribly uninteresting. If I want to watch lopsided games, I'll just go watch the local softball league beat the piss out of the team full of engineers.

I didn't go to a school with a football team and after Buffalo, I haven't lived in an area with a legitimate college football team (suck on that Syracuse). When I was a kid I was rather fond of Ohio St. and UNC, but that ended when I was about twelve. Now I generally pull for anyone that can ruin the BCS/upset football factory schools, like Utah, BYU, and Boise St.

Notre Dame is annoying because they're Notre Dame.
Ohio St. is annoying because the Columbus fans are legally retarded.
I always thought Michigan's uniforms were ugly.
USC is a bunch of cheaters.
Alabama is really unlikable because Nick Saban is a cock.
Texas is Unlikable because it's Texas.
Penn St's schedule last year basically looked like they scheduled a bunch of pee wee teams.
I don't really know LSU all that well, but they have purple in their colors, so they suck.
Nebraska is the Cornhuskers...a bad kind of what the fuck.
Minnesota is the Golden Gophers, a good kind of what the fuck.
Arkansas is pretty sweet because that's where John Daly went to college.
Frenso St. is almost always entertaining.
Ditto Hawaii.
I was really hoping Iowa would go undefeated last year along with Cincy with everyone else losing so we could have a pathetic national championship game.
I'm done for now.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:26 pm 
Captain Dynasty

those schools are trying to make a name for themselves and make the jump to division 1A. so they throw money at big schools for the exposure. and it works. thats the way the NCAA works. big schools take money to beat up on smaller schools, and those smaller schools soak it all up and ask for another. this isnt a big 10 problem, its the way it is around every major conference. and thats the way its been for a while. i hate saying this, but you may want to educate yourself better on college football because i dont think you understand it well. at least not that part of the game.

as for cowherd, hes a fucking moron. always has been, always will be.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:17 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
those schools are trying to make a name for themselves and make the jump to division 1A. so they throw money at big schools for the exposure. and it works. thats the way the NCAA works. big schools take money to beat up on smaller schools, and those smaller schools soak it all up and ask for another. this isnt a big 10 problem, its the way it is around every major conference. and thats the way its been for a while. i hate saying this, but you may want to educate yourself better on college football because i dont think you understand it well. at least not that part of the game.

as for cowherd, hes a fucking moron. always has been, always will be.

They're not trying to make a name for themselves. THEY'RE the ones getting paid. They travel and give a (supposedly) guaranteed win to a BCS school, and in exchange get a hefty check that they never would have gotten otherwise. It isn't the big school taking money, its them dishing out some of the massive amounts they have to beat the shit out of inferior schools.

Note: I'm not picking on the Big 10 here, just using them as an example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Appal ... tball_game
Quote:
Instead of an easy tune-up for Michigan, Appalachian State leaves with its most profound victory ever and a check for $400,000 that was supposed to be their pay for getting punished.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/20 ... etics.aspx
Quote:
For Penn State, the amount of money it pays for guarantee games pales in comparison to the total amount of money it makes per game.

The fact that everyone does it, doesn't make it any less bullshit, nor does it hide the fact that the Big 10, a conference that isn't that good to begin with, continually features a pathetic out of conference schedule. It's not like they're the SEC where the conference is so good the conference schedule speaks for itself, and their out of conference games aren't as important. The Big 10 earns more money as a conference than any other in the country except occasionally for the SEC.

Seriously, would you have put Penn St. or Iowa in the national championship had they gone undefeated over a one loss Alabama or a one loss Texas team?

PSU Quality wins would have been Iowa (kinda), and #16 Ohio St.
Iowa Quality wins would have been #5 PSU and #11 Ohio St.

Alabama Quality opponents were Virginia Tech, Mississippi, South Carolina, LSU, and Florida. Throw a loss in there somewhere.
Texas Quality opponents were Oklahoma, Oklahoma St. and Nebraska. Throw a loss in there somewhere. (To be fair, the Big 12 isn't exactly strong either.

If the Big Ten isn't going to boast an elite roster of schools like the SEC, and is going to continue to schedule dogshit opponents, then they're only hurting themselves. The winner of the SEC already has a proven track record against quality teams based on conference play. The winner of the Big 10, right now does not.

Here's what I hope happens:
One of the "big time" Big 10 schools (Michigan, Penn St., Ohio St.) goes undefeated and doesn't make the national championship because of one loss Florida/Texas/LSU/Alabama/Miami/Georgia Tech with more impressive wins. Hell, for a while it was being flirted with last year.

And Herd is so often right, and hilarious, you just don't like him because he's been ripping on Michigan for years.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:08 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i never knew he ripped michigan. hes an idiot, and always have been an idiot. sports nation is worse then pulling teeth. and no, the MAC asked for the big 10 contract that would bring the MAC to big 10 stadiums. as for app state being an easy tune up? again, who ever wrote that was an idiot, because app state had won the last 2 2A championships and was figured to give most top 25 teams a hard time. everyone knew going in that it wasnt going to be an easy win. it should be pointed out app state won on a blocked chip shot.

it seems that your politics against college football just figures you to not be a college football fan. it doesnt seem that you watch the games, and just blast it. gets obnoxious.

you also must be forgetting 2006, when michigan and OSU went 2 and 1 after the season, and michigan was left out of national championship game.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:21 pm 
Captain Dynasty

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

TV SCHEDULE!!!!

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:41 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
i never knew he ripped michigan. hes an idiot, and always have been an idiot. sports nation is worse then pulling teeth. and no, the MAC asked for the big 10 contract that would bring the MAC to big 10 stadiums. as for app state being an easy tune up? again, who ever wrote that was an idiot, because app state had won the last 2 2A championships and was figured to give most top 25 teams a hard time. everyone knew going in that it wasnt going to be an easy win. it should be pointed out app state won on a blocked chip shot.

it seems that your politics against college football just figures you to not be a college football fan. it doesnt seem that you watch the games, and just blast it. gets obnoxious.

you also must be forgetting 2006, when michigan and OSU went 2 and 1 after the season, and michigan was left out of national championship game.

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
those schools are trying to make a name for themselves and make the jump to division 1A. so they throw money at big schools for the exposure. and it works. thats the way the NCAA works. big schools take money to beat up on smaller schools, and those smaller schools soak it all up and ask for another.

I wasn't citing that part of the article, simply that Michigan was paying App. St., not the other way around which is not what you posted. Yes, Appalachian St. was good, I get it, so not the point. I'm not arguing that the smaller schools reap the benefits of the hefty paycheck, and that they even ask for those match-ups. Just pointing out that the above statement is incorrect. I think it's bullshit that such match-ups are factored into the BCS rankings.

I vaguely remember the 2006 season, I remember watching the Michigan State - Ohio State game that year, or at least part of it. Was a dandy. I don't understand why you're pointing it out anyways.

My Statement was an undefeated Big 10 team with a crappy schedule getting left out in favor of two 1-loss teams with better schedules. Something that very well could have happened had PSU gone undefeated last season.

You're talking about a one loss team that was left out for an undefeated team and another one loss team. This isn't so much a rebuttal to my point (because they aren't really comparable) as it is a complaint that Michigan was left out. Which Michigan proved it deserved by getting handled by USC in the Rose Bowl. Granted Ohio St. didn't fare any better, but I don't think you can say that Michigan deserved to be in that game over Ohio St. when they lost to them in the regular season. Not to mention the fact that Florida had more wins and a (slightly) more impressive schedule anyways.

Michigan
#17 Notre Dame
#7 Wisconsin
#24 Penn St.
#2 Ohio St. (Loss)

Florida
#3 LSU
#9 Auburn (Loss)
#15 Arkansas
#23 Georgia
#25 Tennessee

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next