It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:24 pm 
Captain Dynasty

there is no co-national champions in 1997. michigan finished number 1 in both polls, and had a much tougher bowl opponent then nebraska. but thats the beauty of it. im not necessarily right. but i dont really care what they say in nebraska.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:43 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I don't put much stock into something that has as much legitimacy of hall of fame voting for baseball.

You do realize, Michigan is kind of like the Yankees of NCAA football right? (along with several other big name teams of course) in that they're automatically held in higher regard than some BCS school just because they're "michigan."

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:08 am 
Captain Dynasty

well, id say notre dame is held in higher regard, because they are notre dame. i mean for fucks sake, they made that shitty ass movie about a shitty bench warmer. but the yankees are the yankees because of the immense wealth and their ability to obtain talent. which, i guess, instead of money, michigan uses its history to recruit. fair enough.

but the yankees history is wonderful, and i respect their history. i just dont want every yankee cap wearing 24 year old to remind me of it.

but yes, im aware that because of michigans wealthy history, that yes, they are one of those programs where ALOT of people dislike them for their history. thats ok. but alot of schools are like that. OSU, USC, tennessee, florida, penn state, notre dame, alabama... all those schools fight for supremacy.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:13 am 
Captain Dynasty

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
I don't put much stock into something that has as much legitimacy of hall of fame voting for baseball.

and thats fine, alex. no ones holding a gun to your head forcing you to be a fan. i personally like the current rankings system, and the bowl series.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:36 am 
Captain Dynasty

I don't mind the bowls themselves, I just think there needs to be a more definitive way to determine a national champion.

16 teams might be a bit much. They could go with a four team playoff, and make up two new bowls for the two semi-final games. It gives more sponsors exposure, doesn't take bowl spots away from anyone else, doesn't harm the tradition of any existing bowls, and the "playoff" teams only have to play one extra game. For the most part, it's only one or two teams that get screwed anyways so four would do a lot to satisfy any questions.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:41 am 
Captain Dynasty

for the most part, there are very very few questions as to who is national champs.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:44 am 
Captain Dynasty

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
for the most part, there are very very few questions as to who is national champs.

There are always controversies.

Utah going undefeated in 2008, Boise St. in 2006, USC getting screwed in 2003, Nebraska in 1997, Penn State in 1994

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:48 am 
Captain Dynasty

maybe boise should join a good conference if they want to be taken seriously. you cant complain about a weak out of conference schedule, then back a team whose in conference schedule rivals a highschools. it doesnt work both ways. just like you cant complain about smaller schools playing big schools, then expressing desire for the smaller schools to get respect.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:50 am 
Captain Dynasty

Do any conferences want Boise St. to join? Do the Pac-10 or Big 12 want them to?

I think smaller schools play bigger schools for the paycheck, not to attempt to gain respect.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:55 am 
Captain Dynasty

alot of conferences are expanding. yeah, the big 10 and pac 10 wanted boise to join.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:25 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Teams shouldn't have to jump conferences just to have a better look at the end of the year bowl games. Kinda blows that 'tradition' theory up too.

Boise State also deserves to be taken seriously regardless of what conference they play in. They had the balls to fly all the way across the country to play a top 10 opponent (VT) for their first game. What did other teams do?

LSU (21) went to UNC (18)
Oregon St (24) went to TCU (6)

Most of the rest of the top 25 games were against scrub teams.

The 'power programs' have zero incentive to schedule meaningful games. They schedule cupcakes, and only really worry about their conference schedule. Even then half of their conference schedule is fluff, unless you're talking about the SEC.

Want to make college football better? Give fans like me who DON'T live and die by it a reason to watch on Saturday. I don't want to watch Clemson almost triple up Presbyterian. I don't want to watch blowouts. I want to watch competitive football, and that's really not found all that much except when the conference schedule begins.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:57 pm 
Captain Dynasty

well, like i said. if teams in the moutain west or other smaller conferences want to be looked at more seriously, then start beating those bigger schools more regularly. you cant pine for equality, then complain when they are given the chance to make a name for themselves. if you want to be with the best, you have to beat the best.

boise state is doing it the right way. i give them credit. that program is the gonzaga program of football. but look at connecticut. 3 straight 8 win seasons, bowl seasons. they got michigan on their schedule as a chance to make a statement. they didnt make that statement, but they gave it a shot.

in conference schedule of the BCS conferences are brutal, while teams like boise have a cake walk. its just the opposite of what everyone is complaining about.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:00 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
Teams shouldn't have to jump conferences just to have a better look at the end of the year bowl games. Kinda blows that 'tradition' theory up too.

Boise State also deserves to be taken seriously regardless of what conference they play in. They had the balls to fly all the way across the country to play a top 10 opponent (VT) for their first game. What did other teams do?

LSU (21) went to UNC (18)
Oregon St (24) went to TCU (6)

Most of the rest of the top 25 games were against scrub teams.

The 'power programs' have zero incentive to schedule meaningful games. They schedule cupcakes, and only really worry about their conference schedule. Even then half of their conference schedule is fluff, unless you're talking about the SEC.

Want to make college football better? Give fans like me who DON'T live and die by it a reason to watch on Saturday. I don't want to watch Clemson almost triple up Presbyterian. I don't want to watch blowouts. I want to watch competitive football, and that's really not found all that much except when the conference schedule begins.

Agreed. The only way NCAA football is getting me to turn on the TV for BCS schools is if I see a game is close in the fourth quarter, or there's a JMU-esque upset brewing. Otherwise I don't watch ranked teams or BCS teams.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:07 pm 
Captain Dynasty

and i would like to say, that in michigans case, they didnt schedule a cream puff out of conference schedule. yeah, they have Umass and bowling green the next two weeks, but Uconn is a good, up and coming program, and of course, they play notre dame every year.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:16 pm 
Captain Dynasty

anyways! its been good banter, but were just going around in circles. dont want anyone to get upset or anything. i just like having good old fashioned discussions.

my uncle from st louis just called. he has season tickets to michigan football. he doesnt make many games, just the important ones (hes friggin loaded. president of the largest regional united van line system) and he wanted to know if i wanted the tickets to the game saturday. i generally go once a year. i love it.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:46 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Is there anything better than watching a college kicker line up for a game winning field goal? Oh lord it's awesome, they suck so bad.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:48 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Yeah, kinda makes you wonder where these good NFL kickers actually come from. Most of the ones I see in college games are hi-larious.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:50 pm 
Captain Dynasty

james madisons win over the hokies effectively kills boise states chances at a shot in the national championship game, says this writer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/s ... id=5570708

but he offers reason for the contrary.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:34 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
james madisons win over the hokies effectively kills boise states chances at a shot in the national championship game, says this writer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/s ... id=5570708

but he offers reason for the contrary.

Psh, too slow. That was posted Sept. 14th...

On sept. 11th...

Alexander S. Bauer
ACC gains step up on Big East as worst BCS conference. Mountain West and WAC point and go, 'wtf mate!'

I don't think the loss invalidates Boise St. at all. Tech was probably physically and mentally taxed after a tougher game the week before and didn't play up to par
. Happens all the time in the NFL, teams have a losing record the week after playing power teams like the Colts or Patriots.See More
Saturday at 4:16pm

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:36 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I'm off in the at all part of that comment probably, but I still got the sentiment way before he did.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next