It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Seanothan27
 Post subject: Your NFL Predictions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:28 pm 
Star Sniper

Post your picks; Regular Season Standings, Playoffs, Superbowl, Draft Order, Any/All/None of the of preceding...

X-NY Jets 12-4
Miami 9-7
New England 8-8
Buffalo 3-13

X-Baltimore 12-4
X-Pittsburgh 10-6

Cincinnati 6-10
Cleveland 2-14

X-Indianapolis 11-5
X-Houston 10-6

Tennessee 8-8
Jacksonville 6-10

X-San Diego 10-6
Denver 7-9
Kansas City 7-9
Oakland 5-11

X-Dallas 11-5
X-Philadelphia 10-6

NY Giants 9-7
Washington 6-10

X-Green Bay 12-4
X-Minnesota 10-6

Chicago 7-9
Detroit 5-11

X-New Orleans 11-5
Atlanta 10-6
Carolina 6-10
Tampa Bay 4-12

X-San Francisco 9-7
Arizona 7-9
Seattle 5-11
St.Louis 2-14

AFC Championship: Baltimore vs NY Jets
NFC Championship: Dallas vs Green Bay

Superbowl 45: Green Bay 24, Baltimore 20

2011 NFL Draft:

1. St.Louis
2. Cleveland
3. Buffalo
4. Tampa Bay
5. Detroit

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

CriminallyVu1gar
 Post subject: Re: Your NFL Predictions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:44 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Everyone goes 8-8! :P

Ryan911T
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 pm 
resident car guy

I dislike both teams, but I'm going to go with Dallas v. Jets for the Super Bowl.

Twitter - @Ryan911T - @MotoExposure

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:04 am 
Captain Dynasty

i think the pats win the wild card and make it the AFC championship game. but im bias.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:08 am 
Cup Winner

I think the Patriots will get nuked from orbit right on their first regular season game and cease to exist anymore.

And the Bills will go undefeated and win the Superbowl by the biggest margin ever recorded.

Those are my only predictions. I just want to see the Patriots never set foot in the Playoffs for years to come, or get beat first game.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:20 am 
Captain Dynasty

I think the pats still win the division and the jets are overrated. They were a nice story last season, but I'm still not sold on Mark Sanchez.

For the AFC east, I think
NE - 12-4
NJJ - 10-6
Mia - 9-7/8-8
Buff - 5-11 or worse

sounds about right.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:01 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i root for the dolphins because of jake long. thats it.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:03 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Nobody in the division will get more then 10 wins. the Bills will get like 4-6, and just enough to miss a good QB.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:55 pm 
Star Sniper

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
I think the pats still win the division and the jets are overrated. They were a nice story last season, but I'm still not sold on Mark Sanchez.

If they get Revis signed, I think the Jets edge out the Pats.

btw, I hate the Jets and Sanchez. I REALLY hate the way Deer-dork says Sanchez 460 times/game. Almost makes it unwatchable.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:51 pm 
Captain Dynasty

daz28 wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:

btw, I hate the Jets and Sanchez. I REALLY hate the way Deer-dork says Sanchez 460 times/game. Almost makes it unwatchable.

Metrics have shown that Revis's stellar play was largely a result of the defensive schemes, at least more so than the defense's success being a product of Revis's talents.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:52 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I kind of think that the Packers, Patriots, Colts, Chargers, and Cardinals are pretty solid bets to win the division.

And the Cowboys, Saints, and Rapists are likely.

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:58 pm 
Garbage Man

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
daz28 wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:

Metrics have shown that Revis's stellar play was largely a result of the defensive schemes, at least more so than the defense's success being a product of Revis's talents.

I don't know how much I'd put credit in these "metrics." In the words of the immortal Homer Simpson....“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that." In honesty though, you can find a stat to prove pretty much any point you want. If you've seen the guy play, you know there isn't a better corner in the NFL. Champ Bailey, long known as the league's top corner for the last ten years has just recently admitted that Revis is the best CB in the NFL and thats not something these guys do easily. I put credit in the fact that since Revis came into this league he has absolutely shut down EVERY "Big-Time" receiver he's played against with VERY few exceptions. Now, does he deserve the kind of money he's looking for? No. ESPECIALLY after his team drafted a corner in the 1st round this year and traded for a Pro-Bowl CB with a 10 pick season under his belt who was taken in the 1st Round in 2006. This defense is scary without him. His bargaining power right now is not very strong......

Hammygoodness
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:13 am 
More Heart Than Skill

My prediction? The Bills will suck. Bank on it. In fact, bank on it until they leave Buffalo.

Ham

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:19 am 
Garbage Man

Hammygoodness wrote:
My prediction? The Bills will suck. Bank on it. In fact, bank on it until they leave Buffalo.

Ham

Wow monkeyman, way to go out on a limb there, lol....

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:20 am 
Captain Dynasty

It's an ESPN insider article so I can't link it.

There are a lot of words one can use to describe Rex Ryan. Intense. Intelligent. Focused. Aggressive. Brash. All of these adjectives are accurate depictions of the man to varying degrees.

One word that can never be used in conjunction with Ryan is disingenuous. He is hard-wired to say exactly what he thinks. It explains why he would make some of the statements he has made over the course of his Jets head coaching tenure.

The willingness of Ryan to shoot from the hip makes me wonder why it is that so few people believe him when he says the Jets will have the best defense in the league even if Darrelle Revis does not play for New York in 2010.

So why is it that more fans and media types don't buy into the idea that Gang Green will do just fine if No. 24 isn't in the lineup? I believe it comes down to a two-part misunderstanding about how Revis affects the overall play of the New York defense. One of these can be explained through metrics, while the other is best detailed by a member of the Jets' all-time team.

Let's start with the numbers. Revis' 3.6 yards per attempt (YPA) allowed last season was the best total of any cornerback in the NFL. The Jets were also the only team in the league with three cornerbacks in the top 20 in YPA.

The almost inevitable reaction I hear after pointing out this last item is that it occurred because the rest of the New York secondary benefited from Revis' coverage skills. His ability to handle his side of the field in a single-coverage situation allowed the defense to focus its attention on stopping aerials thrown away from his direction.

That sounds great in theory but if that is true, why hasn't a similar thing occurred with other great cornerbacks in recent years?

For example, Champ Bailey was at the peak of his skills in 2006. He led the league in YPA (4.7), interceptions (10) and interception return yards (162). From a combined coverage/ballhawking perspective, it is almost certainly the best campaign I have seen in seven seasons of passing game breakdowns.

Bailey's greatness didn't seem to do his cornerback battery mates a bit of good. Domonique Foxworth's 7.5 YPA ranked tied for 42nd out of 93 qualifying cornerbacks. Darrent Williams fared even worse, as his 8.1 YPA ranked 63rd. If the Revis effect were true, it would stand to reason that these two would have performed much better.

Or take Nnamdi Asomugha. In 2007, Asomugha posted a 5.4 YPA. That was good enough for 10th best in the league and it was a key reason he was named to the All-Pro team.

Now look at how his teammates fared. Stanford Routt posted a 5.6 YPA (14th best). Chris Johnson notched a 7.1 YPA mark (47th). DeAngelo Hall put up a 10.2 YPA total in the games he played for the Raiders that season. Asomugha is widely perceived as being the only cornerback in the league who is in Revis' category and yet even the lowest YPA total of his career didn't seem to help all of his teammates.

Those are but two of numerous instances where one cornerback had a great season and either some or all of the other cornerbacks on the team didn't. It illustrates the limitation that a great coverage player can have.

That is one reason Ryan is probably so confident. He realizes the trio of Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson and Dwight Lowery give him a very good chance of slowing down opposing receivers with or without Revis.

I heard another rationale for Ryan's positivity during an interview I did Monday night on the Bernstein and Buttle show on ESPN Radio 1050 in New York.

NY Football: Revis Day 10 Listen

Revis Watch Day 10. Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum joins the show. We also hear from Manish Mehta of the Daily News and KC Joyner, the Football Scientist, tells us how valuable Revis is and how the Jets could fare without him.

More Podcasts »

The Buttle of that duo is Greg Buttle, former Jets linebacker and member of the all-time Jets team. Having played in the NFL for nine years, Buttle knows a thing or two about defense.

Bonnie Bernstein and I were talking about the fact that Revis had more passes thrown at him than any other cornerback in the league in 2009 and Buttle immediately hit the nail on the head as to why this was the case. He said that Ryan's playcalling is funneling passes in Revis' direction.

Buttle went on to explain that when the quarterback sees a Ryan blitz call, his first reaction is going to be to throw the ball to the area with single coverage (i.e. toward Revis).

Now keep that insightful comment in mind and consider what Ryan will do if Cromartie ends up being his No. 1 cornerback in 2010. Cromartie's 7.4 YPA last season shows that he might be as much as four yards worse than Revis in that metric.

That's the downside. Now consider the upside -- Cromartie is only three seasons removed from a 10-interception campaign. If Ryan sets up his playcalling in a way that gives Cromartie a high number of pick chances, and if Cromartie steps up his game to his previous level (something the camp reports suggest is happening), the additional turnovers could more than make up for any coverage loss.

Ryan knows this and he is trying to tell the world this is the case. He has coached great defenses that did not have dominant cornerbacks and knows that the superb talent level of the entire New York defense makes this unit more than capable of leading a trip to the Super Bowl even without a visit to Revis Island. We would all do well to take him at his word when he says this.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:24 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I think Tony Dungy is a piece of shit, but I digress.

I think the Bills will suck, ESPN will suck Favre's dick, and Tebow will fellate Jesus every chance he gets.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:30 pm 
MegaDouche

I expect Indy to win 43-17 tomorrow night...

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:04 pm 
Cup Winner

How is Tony Dungy a piece of Shit Phil?

I really want to see why you think that?

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:26 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

I think I know why, some story or something Dungy said last season, but I don't remember any specifics.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:05 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

Because he made it uncomfortable for anyone who isn't a conservative Christian while he was coaching the Colts and now that he's retired from coaching and can turn his gaze wider, he attacks anyone he can. If he wants to discriminate against any demographic he deems unsuitable, he shouldn't have a media job with the NFL. He's a piece of shit, and I hope Rex Ryan verbally tears him a new one.