It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

ironyisadeadscene
 Post subject: Re: Your NFL Predictions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:34 pm 
Captain Dynasty

johnson had possession. bottom line. thats a damn touchdown. if it was lee evens who this happened to, youd be pretty damn livid too.

it just sucks. the lions finally put together some hope, and this happens.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:36 pm 
Cup Winner

Anyone have a video of the catch then?

Also the tuck rule was sooooo stupid. Honestly that rule was the only reason the Patriots won their first Superbowl, because they would have never gotten there had that rule not been called, because it was a clear fumble, not any arm motion in it at all because the ball got hit from behind they claimed it was a tuck bullshit.

Didn't they get rid of the push-out rule also, like if the guy is in the air and he surely can get both feet in bounds but gets pushed out it is an incomplete pas right? Or do they still call it a completed pass by a push-out.

I didn't watch much last year of course, but don't remember.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:39 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
johnson had possession. bottom line. thats a damn touchdown. if it was lee evens who this happened to, youd be pretty damn livid too.

it just sucks. the lions finally put together some hope, and this happens.

Hey, like I said, I agree that it should have been called a catch, but the outcome was called according to the rule, same as the Tuck rule. Both rules failed in each instance, but where the Tuck rule needs to be stricken completely, the catch rule just needs a bit of a language upgrade.

Either way, if Johnson pulls the ball into his body instead of waving it around like a flag on a dildo and worrying about needing to brace himself after falling two inches, this conversation never happens.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:40 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Anyone have a video of the catch then?

Also the tuck rule was sooooo stupid. Honestly that rule was the only reason the Patriots won their first Superbowl, because they would have never gotten there had that rule not been called, because it was a clear fumble, not any arm motion in it at all because the ball got hit from behind they claimed it was a tuck bullshit.

Didn't they get rid of the push-out rule also, like if the guy is in the air and he surely can get both feet in bounds but gets pushed out it is an incomplete pas right? Or do they still call it a completed pass by a push-out.

I didn't watch much last year of course, but don't remember.

The catch is at the bottom of the page.
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/09/12/calv ... sial-call/

And yes, the push out rule was eliminated after the season before last. Now, if you don't get two feet in bounds, it isn't a catch.

The tuck rule play was called perfectly, 100% by the rulebook, as was the Johnson catch. They're just bad rules.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:52 pm 
Cup Winner

I don't agree with it, he had it in both hands when he lost it, his armed stopped going forward so it should have been a fumble.

He brought it back to his body, so it should be a fumble. The rule needs to be eliminated or changed to it being a fumble, Brady knew it too, he wasn't going to pass the football at that moment anymore.

It's a stupid rule, but I see it was called right, but it's a terrible rule that needs changed.

And yes, with the Johnson catch, that isn't a TD, it was the right call because the ball hit the ground. The rule states the ball must not hit the ground or it's an incomplete pass. I'd be pissed but seeing replays of it and knowing the rule it was called right.

What wasn't called right was the pass interference in the game yesterday on the Dolphins.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:00 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
I don't agree with it, he had it in both hands when he lost it, his armed stopped going forward so it should have been a fumble.

He brought it back to his body, so it should be a fumble. The rule needs to be eliminated or changed to it being a fumble, Brady knew it too, he wasn't going to pass the football at that moment anymore.

It's a stupid rule, but I see it was called right, but it's a terrible rule that needs changed.

And yes, with the Johnson catch, that isn't a TD, it was the right call because the ball hit the ground. The rule states the ball must not hit the ground or it's an incomplete pass. I'd be pissed but seeing replays of it and knowing the rule it was called right.

What wasn't called right was the pass interference in the game yesterday on the Dolphins.

That's not true, the ball can hit the ground as per the Bert Emanuel rule change made after the 99-00 NFC championship between the Rams and Buccaneers.

While serving as referee of the 1999 NFC Championship game between Tampa Bay and St. Louis, Carollo overturned a catch by Tampa Bay's Bert Emanuel, that later led to the adoption of the Bert Emanuel Rule. by the NFL. The play consisted of Bert Emanuel making what was ruled a catch at St. Louis' 22 yard line with 47 seconds left in the game and the Buccaneers down by 5. After review, Carollo ruled that the tip of the ball had touched the ground, and even though Emanuel maintained control of the football, Carollo had to rule it an incomplete pass. This led to the NFL clarifying the definitions of both a catch and an incomplete pass, as to avoid this scenario replaying itself in the future. This is known as the Bert Emanuel Rule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Emanuel

If the player maintains possession, the ball can hit the ground. The issue with Johnson's catch is that because the ball came out he was ruled as not having maintained possession throughout the entire catch.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:01 pm 
Captain Dynasty

are you high? once you have possession (he does) and he gets two feet down (he did), its a catch. then, for shits and giggles, he then gets his knee and hip down, again, with possession. play completed. this rule is absurd.

the tuck rule, while dumb, makes slight sense. the ball is moving forward, thus, you never know the quarterbacks intent.

this rule is just, he makes the catch, but he doesnt hold on to it for an hour, so lets just call it back. no sense. zero. thats a catch, and everyone and their dog knows it.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:02 pm 
Cup Winner

Well I guess that's what I meant more, you need full possession as the ball won't come out if a tiny bit hits the ground, like the point.

Rud wrote:

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:03 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
are you high? once you have possession (he does) and he gets two feet down (he did), its a catch. then, for shits and giggles, he then gets his knee and hip down, again, with possession. play completed. this rule is absurd.

the tuck rule, while dumb, makes slight sense. the ball is moving forward, thus, you never know the quarterbacks intent.

this rule is just, he makes the catch, but he doesnt hold on to it for an hour, so lets just call it back. no sense. zero. thats a catch, and everyone and their dog knows it.

You're incorrect also.

The tuck rule is an exception to this rule. It applies if the quarterback brings his arm forward in a passing motion, but then changes his mind and tries to keep hold of the football rather than making a pass. In this situation, if the quarterback loses the ball while stopping his passing motion or bringing the ball back to his body, it is still considered a forward pass (and thus an incomplete pass if the ball hits the ground).[1]

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:06 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i dont like the tuck rule either. but it still makes slightly more sense then THIS.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:12 pm 
Cup Winner

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
i dont like the tuck rule either. but it still makes slightly more sense then THIS.

True.

Rud wrote:

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:39 pm 
Captain Dynasty

watching cocky rex ryan fail is almost as fun as watching cocky tom brady fail.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:05 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

The Tuck Rule becomes absurd when you try to say that a QB who has changed his mind about attempting a forward pass and it trying to protect the ball is somehow still in a passing motion with the ball in the way back into his body.

There is no legitimate pass attempt to be made once the ball is on it's way back to the QB's body. It's just impossible.

The catch rules are just as dumb. The whole 'make a football move' after possession rule has to go.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:40 pm 
Captain Dynasty

touchdown off a brett favre interception.