It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:40 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Just coming over the wire now. Torn ligament, needs Tommy John surgery, expected to be out for 12-18 months.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:49 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Schilling saw this coming a mile away. Holy crap.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:52 am 
MegaDouche

BAH AH HA HA HA HA HA.. poor DC. Now they get too look forward to only the caps and maybe redskins. SS was their shining star. I feel bad for the kid though, he had the fans on the tip of his finger. I was actually liking the kid.

SABRESAllTheWay
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:52 am 
MegaDouche

Van_Da_Man wrote:

Just for curiosity sake, where are you getting this from?

sabresindc
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:02 pm 
Captain Clutch

SABRESAllTheWay wrote:
BAH AH HA HA HA HA HA.. poor DC. Now they get too look forward to only the caps and maybe redskins. SS was their shining star. I feel bad for the kid though, he had the fans on the tip of his finger. I was actually liking the kid.

Yeah, I feel for National fans. They finally had something to grasp too.... Honestly they should have kept him out after his first injury, it's not like they were really playing for anything except for the all mighty dollar

It's a phrase that basically means, if you wanna see the Sabres at the top, turn the rankings.

Bauter88
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:11 pm 
Power Forward

After the surgery lets see what happens some people gain MPH on their fastball after it. Some people lose some im thinking he will loose some get that fastball down to like 92-94 mph range.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:01 pm 
Captain Dynasty

tommy john is no longer a major surgery. he will come back just fine. the reason why the recovery time is so long is because it takes FOREVER to break down the scar tissue. the truth is, once the surgery is done, give it 6 weeks, you can resume throwing. the kicker being the scar tissue is so tough, its extremely painful. a minor league pitcher did his 6 weeks once. put his arm in a door way, and yanked back, extending his arm. tearing all the scar tissue. he could resume throwing immediately, and did, but the initial shock of the pain made him black out.

unless strasburg changes his delivery, hes mark prior 2.0... why? he delivers with a /\O/\ motion. you want a \/O\/ motion.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:43 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
a minor league pitcher did his 6 weeks once. put his arm in a door way, and yanked back, extending his arm. tearing all the scar tissue. he could resume throwing immediately, and did, but the initial shock of the pain made him black out.

No offense Mike, but I don't buy this for a second.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:46 pm 
Captain Dynasty

the story was told by blue jays reliever dirk hayhurst in his diary of the minor leagues when he was in AA camp in his book "the bullpen gospels"

ill have to look up the players name. he lost his job because of it, and was released, even though he came back so early. there was that pressure.

Tvan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:41 pm 
7th Defenseman

Man, that's too bad. The Nats just can't seem to catch a break. If his delivery is prone to injury, why didn't the pitching coaches start working on a change right away, instead of waiting until he was injured?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:12 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Tvan wrote:
Man, that's too bad. The Nats just can't seem to catch a break. If his delivery is prone to injury, why didn't the pitching coaches start working on a change right away, instead of waiting until he was injured?

well, i think that particular arm motion is probably a reason why his fastball is heavy and why his breaking pitches break more. thats how i pitch too, and after about 10 sliders, i feel like my elbow is ready to fall off. or i wish it would.

heres some read:

The “Inverted W”: Lastly, but most importantly, are the mechanical questions in regards to his delivery. This is where Mark Prior’s name comes in. Prior, much like Strasburg, was one of the most highly touted pitching prospects of the past twenty years. However, these two pitchers share another alarming similarity, and it’s known as the “Inverted W.” It has been said that Strasburg’s delivery is heavily influenced by Prior’s as it is remarkably similar. The “Inverted W” is the way the arms appear in the form of a W while addressing the plate prior to the release of a pitch. While this isn’t necessarily a negative 100% of the time, it does result in extra pressure on the elbow and often causes a pitcher to rush his delivery. This makes Strasburg a high injury risk. This could also be the reasoning behind his tendency to elevate his fastball from time to time.

MLB prospects remain one of the most difficult to accurately project in all of sports, and the pitcher position is the toughest of all. There’s no telling what kind of career Strasburg will experience. Most believe he can have the immediate impact of someone such as David Price, others (such as myself) see his career following the path of a Mark Prior. Best-case scenario in my eyes is a John Smoltz type career, someone who is dominant when healthy, but will continually struggle with elbow/shoulder problems.

Montalo
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:28 pm 
PP Quarterback

fuck me

why the hell cant anything go right for me this season

tigers down the shitter, and my nats have THIS happen to them

Tvan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:34 pm 
7th Defenseman

Montalo wrote:
fuck me

why the hell cant anything go right for me this season

tigers down the shitter, and my nats have THIS happen to them

My teams are the best two teams in Baseball...this never happens to me! I don't know who I'll root for if they meet in the playoffs. Probably the Rays. The Yankees have had enough.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:11 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

SABRESAllTheWay wrote:
Van_Da_Man wrote:

Just for curiosity sake, where are you getting this from?

I just happened to be watching baseball tonight or ESPN (can't remember which) and they had Schilling on talking about Stras' delivery and how you don't just hurt yourself throwing when you are already that far into a game.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Los9090
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:57 pm 
Superstar Goalie

tough break, nothing seems to go right for the Nats

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:19 pm 
Hart Winner

I drafted him first overall in my fantasy baseball league. Shit. I loved the kid.