It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

ironyisadeadscene
 Post subject: Re: Ichiro is a machine
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:28 pm 
Captain Dynasty

no kidding. any HoF lacking shoeless joe can go fuck themselves.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:38 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

ironyisadeadscene wrote:

The guy admitted repeatedly that he participated in throwing that World Series. He doesn't belong in the HoF.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:43 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

The guy admitted repeatedly that he participated in throwing that World Series. He doesn't belong in the HoF.

you should do your homework on this subject.

"Evidence has been identified which casts doubt on Jackson's role in the fix. For instance, Jackson initially refused to take a payment of $5,000, only to have Lefty Williams toss it on the floor of his hotel room. Jackson then tried to tell White Sox owner Charles Comiskey about the fix, but Comiskey refused to meet with him. Also, before Jackson's grand jury testimony, team attorney Alfred Austrian coached Jackson's testimony in a manner that would be considered highly unethical even by the standards of the time, and would probably be considered criminal by today's standards. For instance, Austrian elicited Jackson's admission to having a role in the fix by (allegedly) plying him with whiskey. Austrian was also able to get the nearly illiterate Jackson to sign a waiver of immunity. Years later, the other seven players implicated in the scandal confirmed that Jackson was never at any of the meetings. Williams, for example, said that they only mentioned Jackson's name to give their plot more credibility. Jackson, during the series had a batting average of near .400 and made no errors, further proclaiming his innocence."

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:49 pm 
Superstar Goalie

I was living in Seattle when they got him and people were talking smack about Asian players.....bet they're loving him now.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm 
Captain Dynasty

they had that japanese closer, sasaki too in the early 2000s.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:01 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Yup, back then it seemed like Asian players were starting to really break into the league though I didn't pay much attention to anything local since Seattle doesn't have a hockey team.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:02 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I've read plenty about this. Last I checked, I'm a few years older than you. I was reading about baseball history when you were in preschool. Enough with the the "I'm smarter than you" posts. They're getting fucking annoying. Copying a passage from Wikipedia doesn't make you some kind of baseball historian.

He admitted multiple times, in multiple situations (not just the grand jury), that he was part of the conspiracy. Only after everything was said and done did he start to proclaim his innocence. In addition, his story changed many times, which tends not to happen when people are innocent. Even if you presume that he wasn't an active participant, he clearly knew it was happening. Their 3rd baseman was banned for exactly that reason.

There's lots of consternation about that $5,000 being tossed on the hotel room floor as some kind of proof that Jackson didn't accept the bribe. However, Jackson has never explained where the money actually went. Wouldn't you expect an innocent man to say he gave it back?

The attempted meeting with Comiskey also shows he knew about the conspiracy. He either wanted to out it to Comiskey, or prove that he wasn't part of it. Either position legitimizes his ban.

I'm willing the defer to the people that investigated things at the time and not look at evidence 90 years later through a clouded view of people that want him reinstated because he was so good.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:50 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
I've read plenty about this. Last I checked, I'm a few years older than you. I was reading about baseball history when you were in preschool. Enough with the the "I'm smarter than you" posts. They're getting fucking annoying. Copying a passage from Wikipedia doesn't make you some kind of baseball historian.

He admitted multiple times, in multiple situations (not just the grand jury), that he was part of the conspiracy. Only after everything was said and done did he start to proclaim his innocence. In addition, his story changed many times, which tends not to happen when people are innocent. Even if you presume that he wasn't an active participant, he clearly knew it was happening. Their 3rd baseman was banned for exactly that reason.

There's lots of consternation about that $5,000 being tossed on the hotel room floor as some kind of proof that Jackson didn't accept the bribe. However, Jackson has never explained where the money actually went. Wouldn't you expect an innocent man to say he gave it back?

The attempted meeting with Comiskey also shows he knew about the conspiracy. He either wanted to out it to Comiskey, or prove that he wasn't part of it. Either position legitimizes his ban.

I'm willing the defer to the people that investigated things at the time and not look at evidence 90 years later through a clouded view of people that want him reinstated because he was so good.

no, but it supports my point.

he was acquitted, meaning there wasnt enough proof to convict him. but after unethical handling of the case, he admitted his guilt, despite trying to clear his name for the remainder of his life, and facts supporting his innocence. innocent until proven guilty, which he clearly wasnt. ill take it for what thats worth.

guilty by association, fair enough, even though he supposedly tried to expose it. doesnt exactly equal a reason for a fair ban.

feel free to believe what you want, but no, your view isnt any more valid then mine.

Last edited by ironyisadeadscene on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:51 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Or because he was an aw shucks southern boy.

Ty Cobb was involved in an alleged betting scandal, and people still use it to try and detract from him as a player.

The problem with many baseball fans is the problem with HOF voters, they get romantically attached to players and allow it to skew their perceptions.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:35 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ty cobb also killed a man. true story.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:38 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
feel free to believe what you want, but no, your view isnt any more valid then mine.

I'm not saying that my opinion is any more valid.

I'm saying I don't appreciate being told to 'do my homework' on something that I already know about, but have a differing interpretation on.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:55 pm 
Captain Dynasty

except you didnt express it in a way that you have a different opinion, you stated it very matter of fact-ly.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:27 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
except you didnt express it in a way that you have a different opinion, you stated it very matter of fact-ly.

What do I have to do, us HTML tags to denote opinion?

This is pointless. I posted a differing opinion, and you told me I didn't know what the fuck I was talking about. I've reached my limit with your consistant know-it-all-ness. I'm just going to put your posts on ignore to avoid any additional conflict.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:39 pm 
Captain Dynasty

NM

Last edited by ironyisadeadscene on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:41 pm 
Hart Winner

I see things when I pee.