It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:38 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gam ... a-bay-rays

For those that don't know,the baseball playoffs are hard to make. Very hard. You either have to win your division, or have the best non-division winning record in your league. Only 8 teams out of 30 make it every year, 4 from each league.

Last night, the Rays had a chance to clinch their 2nd playoff appearance in 3 years. That's a great accomplishment, especially in the AL East where they compete with the Red Sox and Yankees.

How many fans showed up to the game for this occasion?

Just terrible. Rays fans should be embarrassed.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:06 am 
Superstar Goalie

Tampa, from what I saw when I lived there is just a fucking sad sports city. I mean when the Lightning won the Cup you couldn't find a shop selling hockey cards and every random person I congragulated on the win was like "Huh? Um....Oh yah....thanks.". I had no words for that at the time and still don't. Fans of shitty teams nation wide need to travel to Tampa and each kick someone in the junk. They don't deserve a team let alone a good team....in anything.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:14 pm 
Captain Dynasty

meanwhile, at fenway...

Tvan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:12 pm 
7th Defenseman

Tampa fans are pretty sad but...

To be fair the tickets to go see the Rays are SOOOOOOO expensive. Imagine you have three kids, your spouse and yourself x$35 plus $7 cokes plus whatever food, $10 parking etc. Also, it was on a school night. I can barely afford to go to the games now as a single person.

When the Rays sucked, I could get a ticket for seven bucks on dollar dog night, three dollar coronas and free parking. My friends and I used to go to the games all the time and have a great time. Ever since they started winning, it's gotten insane pricewise. I haven't been to a game all season for the first time in 4 years.

I love Evan Longoria, but he really needs to remember that I won't make in my lifetime what he makes in one season. So he can take his tweets and go somewhere.

That being said, I'm glad they lost! Ha! Go bombers.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:53 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Not to sound callous, but the Rays had the 5th cheapest non-premium ticket price in all of MLB this year, a full $6 below the league average.

If the area can't come out to see a playoff team at those prices, I'm not sure the area deserves the team.

Tvan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:29 pm 
7th Defenseman

ALSO! Tampa is a big transient city, people coming and going. There are tons of people from up north, like myself, who still support their hometown teams and only go to the games when their fav comes into town.

I like the Rays, but I'm a Yankees fan.

AND I don't want to hear that bullshit "you live here, you should root for our teams." lame-ass excuse. I've spent my hard-earned dollars on the Rays/Bucs/Bolts but no matter where I live, might move to or whatever, I will never love a team more than I love the Bills or Sabres.

Lastly, the game was vs. Baltimore. Need I say more?

Tvan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:40 am 
7th Defenseman

Squanto wrote:
Not to sound callous, but the Rays had the 5th cheapest non-premium ticket price in all of MLB this year, a full $6 below the league average.

Yesterday my sister said she ordered her bridesmaid dresses at David's Bridal because it was one of the cheapest places.

I still had to fork over $200 (plus shipping and any alterations that need to be made) for a satin and chiffon dress, color: wysteria.

Just sayin'

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:30 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I never implied that you personally had a responsibility to go to the Trop and support that team.

All I'm saying is that overall, the Rays' ticket prices are at the bottom of MLB. If the area cannot put more than 12k butts in the seats for a PLAYOFF team at those prices(even against Baltimore), I'm not sure that team is going to survive there. Granted, that shit ass ballpark has something to do with it, but regardless they have a good team down there that's going to be broken up after this year because the owners can't afford to keep it together. Why? Nobody is showing up.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:05 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i want to see what that team can pull in when they arnt playing in a converted bomb shelter. the trop is nasty. they had plans to demolish the old al lang field on the bay in downtown st petersburg and put up a 35,000 seat stadium with a retractable roof. for some reason, the proposal failed, i guess. i dont know the details.

heres the conceptual stadium:

would have been the best park in the majors possibly.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:09 pm 
Cup Winner

I like that ballpark, looks really neat.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:16 pm 
Captain Dynasty

they clinched last night, with a crowd JUST shy of 18,000. yeah, thats pretty sad. they are averaging 23,000 this season, which isnt TERRIBLE, but not good.

the rays lead the AL east.

Squanto
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:04 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

They've GIVING AWAY 20,000 tickets to tonight's game just to get people in the building.

I cannot remember for the slightest why their new stadium deal died. Stinks too, the concepts were slick.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:05 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
They've GIVING AWAY 20,000 tickets to tonight's game just to get people in the building.

I cannot remember for the slightest why their new stadium deal died. Stinks too, the concepts were slick.

if i lived close to a team, id go to every game i could.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:34 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Tvan wrote:
Squanto wrote:

Yesterday my sister said she ordered her bridesmaid dresses at David's Bridal because it was one of the cheapest places.

I still had to fork over $200 (plus shipping and any alterations that need to be made) for a satin and chiffon dress, color: wysteria.

Just sayin'

I think Squanto's whole point is that there aren't enough fans who are willing to fork out money for a ticket to see them when said ticket is cheaper than most tickets tp see other teams. Low sales aren't just about how expensive the ticket is but has more to do with how many people down there actually give a shit about their team.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:36 pm 
Cup Winner

But who actually cares about baseball nowadays?

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:58 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
But who actually cares about baseball nowadays?

I agree....baseball is boring

fly as hale
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:01 pm 
Mrs. Miller

I love what David Price tweeted about it...

"Had a chance to clinch a post season spot tonight with about 10,000 fans in the stands....embarrassing"

http://twitter.com/#!/DAVIDprice14

Then I'm sure everyone was up in arms over it saying, "OMG HOW DARE U!! THE ECONOMY!!!" kind of like what happened to Dan Ellis.

Hockey Night in Buffalo

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 pm 
Captain Dynasty

The Dan Ellis thing ended up being pretty funny though.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:49 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

#DanEllisProblems is one of Twitter's greatest hockey-centric hashtags.

Los9090
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:13 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Isn't Trop Field in a bad spot of St Petes?