All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:46 pm 
Captain Dynasty

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5623441

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:50 pm 
Cup Winner

It's not exactly a done deal at all. It hasn't been approved by anyone yet.

I would love for it to be 18 games instead.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:05 pm 
Captain Dynasty

its a formality, he says, that itll be voted in.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:16 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Too many games. It's great for fans, horrible for players.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:18 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

Like I need 2 more reasons to regret being a Bills fan

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:10 pm 
Captain Dynasty

The NFL begins to decline.

I'm not an economics genius, or major, and I got a D in the class in college. But I thought that one of the things that helps elevate demand is scarcity. (Kind of like why a 13 episode Firefly is regarded as one of the best TV shows ever, and a 140 episode Buffy comes in far behind).

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:41 pm 
Cup Winner

Stuuuuuuu wrote:

The teams play 20 games a season regardless in both formats. they don't need 4 preseason games anymore, this is their full time job not something they do for fun anymore.

Those 4 preseason games were to get into shape, now the players don't need that. Add two more games will be more money for the teams and league. It's still going to be 20 games no matter how they slice it.

And you could make those two extra games against teams you never see, like the other conference.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:30 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I think the current NFL season is perfect. 6 division games, 4 games against a division the opposing conference, 4 games against a division in your own conference, and 2 against the two teams in the other division in your conference that finished in the same place in their division as you the year before.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:33 pm 
Captain Dynasty

what no ones thinking about is fantasy football. lets be honest, fantasy football is HUGE. this means longer seasons, and with alot of people paying to play, that could mean more coin as well.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:35 pm 
Cup Winner

It'll all come down to money though. I would want to see a longer season, 19 weeks on regular season football and 4 playoff weeks. This would also make the playoff races better, especially the wildcard races.

Rud wrote:

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:00 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Stuuuuuuu wrote:

The teams play 20 games a season regardless in both formats. they don't need 4 preseason games anymore, this is their full time job not something they do for fun anymore.

Those 4 preseason games were to get into shape, now the players don't need that. Add two more games will be more money for the teams and league. It's still going to be 20 games no matter how they slice it.

And you could make those two extra games against teams you never see, like the other conference.

Most starters don't play 4 preseason games, mainly to keep players from getting injured. Adding two games is going to lead to more injuries, as well as a lot more time that some players play injured. If the NFL is really serious about taking care of its players, especially in regards to head injuries and concussions, this goes against that completely. More meaningful games will mean more injuries to star players. Plus the head injuries can occur from frequent impact, not just one high-impact incident. To me, this just shows that the NFL only pays lip-service to the goal of protecting players from brain injuries.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:05 pm 
Captain Dynasty

A longer season also means that teams can potentially clinch with more games remaining. DOes anyone want to see a 14-0 Indianapolis team rest starters for four games?

It seems contradictory to the NFL's previous assertion that they want every game to matter (even weeks 16 and 17). The more games you add, inevitably the less each game is worth.

The injury negative is obvious.

The negative impact on statistics is annoying. But then again comparing players across eras is comparing apples to baby dingos anyways.

With the increase in injuries, roster sizes might need to increase, which means a dilution of talent. Suspensions are either going to get longer, or carry less weight because they'll make up a smaller percentage of the season.

A lot of divisional races could get boring very quickly.

You're putting an economic strain on fans that are tapped as it is.

I see a few short term positives (more money for the owners), but it seems most of the long term impacts will be negative.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:24 pm 
Cup Winner

I don't agree, the starters may not play all the preseason games, but they normally play most of the 4th and at least half of the 3rd and maybe a few series in the other games.

I personally would be a huge fan of making two more games matter. And no matter how short the season is, injuries will happen, I don't think a longer season by two games is really gonna hurt that much on injuries.

Rud wrote:

Seanothan27
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:37 pm 
Star Sniper

I'd rather they just added 4 more teams in the playoffs. 8 in each conference. More chance for upsets = more excitement

"Let's just trap Sekera in the caverns underneath HSBC arena." -BlueandYellow

Reporter: "Steve, you guys now lead the league in defensive scoring."
Montador: "It's probably because of how good-looking we are."

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:11 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

The only way I could see this benefiting the players is taking the quarters down a few minutes or drastically increasing the roster sizes. Aaaaaand now they will be wanting moneyx3 making the lockout more inevitable.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:45 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Polian walked back his comments in a subsequent interview. Makes sense considering the NFL just submitted the FIRST 18 game proposal to the NFLPA on Tuesday.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:05 am 
Garbage Man

I do not like 18 games a season nor a 12 team playoff format. Stick with 16 games a season. Reduce the playoffs to the eight division champions