It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:31 pm 
Captain Dynasty

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/n ... id=5631343

wow. the tour de france is sadly becoming less and less relevant every year. especially now that lance live strong armstrong is basically a major fraud. sad.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:39 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

This isn't the first time Alberto Contador has been in trouble for banned substances, is it?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:40 pm 
Captain Dynasty

dont think so. it seems like whoever comes in second or third in the tour becomes default winner when drug test results come in.

sad isnt it?

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:51 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Wait, why is Lance a fraud? I don't keep up with him.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:55 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Displaced Fan wrote:

eh, nothings for sure. there is just mounting evidence supporting him using banned substances that boosted his performance in cycling. if it is indeed true, its really really sad.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:47 am 
Franchise Defenseman

a cyclist cheated? NO FUCKING WAY!

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:00 am 
Franchise Defenseman

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:

eh, nothings for sure. there is just mounting evidence supporting him using banned substances that boosted his performance in cycling. if it is indeed true, its really really sad.

Evidence is definitely mounting that you just talk straight out of your ass.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:36 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Displaced Fan wrote:

Armstrong has been accused for years of doping. None of those claims have been substantiated.

Is it possible that he has? Yes. You do have to wonder when so many people have accused him, although the fact that he won 4 or 5 Tours before he was ever accused should tell you something. Even the most recent accusations by Landis don't really mean anything; he's simply trying to deflect criticism from his own doping ban.

Either Armstrong is the best in the world at fooling drug tests, or he's an innocent man with a target because of his success. I think that accusing him of being a fraud in the absence of credible evidence is a stretch.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:31 pm 
Captain Dynasty

YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:

ya know, if you want to call me out on something, im sure its justified. why on earth you would choose THIS post is beyond me. its not controversial or aggressive or antagonistic in least bit.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:37 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
YankeeInRaleigh wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:
Displaced Fan wrote:

ya know, if you want to call me out on something, im sure its justified. why on earth you would choose THIS post is beyond me. its not controversial or aggressive or antagonistic in least bit.

because it totally demonstrates your M.O.

Post 1: wow. the tour de france is sadly becoming less and less relevant every year. especially now that lance live strong armstrong is basically a major fraud. sad.

Dp asks: What makes armstrong a fraud?

Post 2: eh, nothings for sure. there is just mounting evidence supporting him using banned substances that boosted his performance in cycling. if it is indeed true, its really really sad.

In your first post, you say that armstrong is a fraud. When asked about it, you admit that nothings for sure, and that it's all conjecture. (especially from your far removed viewpoint on whatever is happening with him)
It's just...talking out your ass, and you do it a lot, you just spout something out, and when someone calls you on it you say "yeah, I dont really know what i'm talking about", so why continue to do it?

I'm not 'calling you out', I dont even know what that would entail, meeting in the street to fight? Some virtual battle? I just ignore you doing this 99% of the time and this time I said something about it.

I could give a shit about lance armstrong, but as a rational person who is aware that you cant just automatically believe everything you hear, it's obnoxious to hear people just state flimsy opinions as some sort of foregone fact or conclusion, it's shit like that which makes accusations as powerful as convictions when disseminated through media channels.

Whatever, I really have no grudge against you, but this annoys me every time, otherwise you seem like you're probably a cool guy.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:44 pm 
Captain Dynasty

thats a fair point.

i post what ive heard, or read, or sometimes think, and if someone can verse me on it and provide me with facts or counterpoints, i am also generally the first person to say "ok, im wrong, thats cool. i didnt know that"

with all the allegations surrounding lance armstrong, its not just a whisper here or there. i mean, shit, theres a book about his alleged doping out. at that point, in my opinion, theres a good chance he did it. perhaps fraud is a strong word, but if its true, isnt that what he is?

and for the record, im an awesome guy.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:45 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

It took me a long while to come around to this opinion, but I do now think Armstrong probably used some sort of banned substance. I know there is no proof, but I've come to view him as guilty by association.

You know that Landis was on his team and that Landis doped. Obviously, that doesn't prove anything. But one of the most damning things for me has always been that the year after Armstrong "retired" (in like 2005 or 2006), a major doping bust caught many of the world's best riders and disqualified them from the Tour for that year (the year Landis won). The riders included some of the top ten finishers on from the final year Armstrong won, including the runner up. I'm not going to do any research to cite this right now since I'm already shirking my work responsibilities in writing this.

Anyway, if those top riders were caught doping then, I think it's safe to assume they were doping before, in the years they were competing directly with Lance. Based on that, I think it becomes harder and harder to believe that Lance was not doping. I mean, is it really possible that he could win solely on his own efforts against a field of doping riders? Was he THAT good? Could anybody be THAT good? I don't think so.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:50 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I think the runner up I was writing about in the last post was Jan Ulrich.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:43 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I find it funny that Lance Armstrong was complaining not too long ago that a cycling broadcast was nixed for hockey and that cycling was being marginalized.

Well, this is why. When the credibility of pretty much every athlete comes into question (valid or not), your sport kind of deserves to be marginalized until the governing body can do something about it.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:48 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
thats a fair point.

i post what ive heard, or read, or sometimes think, and if someone can verse me on it and provide me with facts or counterpoints, i am also generally the first person to say "ok, im wrong, thats cool. i didnt know that"

with all the allegations surrounding lance armstrong, its not just a whisper here or there. i mean, shit, theres a book about his alleged doping out. at that point, in my opinion, theres a good chance he did it. perhaps fraud is a strong word, but if its true, isnt that what he is?

and for the record, im an awesome guy.

I can verify this.

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:17 am 
Franchise Defenseman

Dammit, I hate re-reading things i've said and thinking "wow you sound like a dick".

Sorry Irony, there really was no reason to bitch at you about that, i'll have to remove some of this sand from my 'gina.

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:35 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

I'd say tests coming back positive for banned substances is reason enough to consider Armstrong a fraud.

Which brings me to my greater point, the testing system in cycling is fucking retarded.

patkane88
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:57 pm 
Captain Clutch

I keep laughing every time new athletes test positive and the excuse keep getting lamer. First guys were saying ohh I took cold medicine, then it was I only took it once and I was stupid, then it was weight loss pills, then its I never knew the medication I was taking is banned, then it was I was taking an erectile disfunction tablet and now this bike rider is saying there was extra steroids in the food he ate. WTFF?

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

YankeeInRaleigh
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:06 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

mechaphil wrote:
I'd say tests coming back positive for banned substances is reason enough to consider Armstrong a fraud.

Wait, are you saying that OTHER people testing positive is enough of a reason to consider armstrong a fraud? Or that you're aware of positive tests that armstrong has taken? Because as far as i'm aware he's never tested positive.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:58 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

^^ That means Ken Griffey Jr was roided by association.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.