It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:50 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ok, we have alot of yankee fans here. derek jeter, as of right now, is not new york yankee property. hes a free agent. the yankees supposedly dont want to offer him the money he wants, or the length of contract. jeter is old, and hes in a free fall of decline. on the open market, he would probably not get more then 6 or 7 million dollars from a team other then new york. but new york HAS to over spend for him, because they need him more then he needs them. the reality is, the two sides are far off in negotiations, and apparently, it could turn personal rather fast.

the question is this: do the new york yankees give jeter what he wants, or does he play elsewhere next season. the yankees, in signing him, get a now slightly above average contact hitter with below average defense, but more importantly, they get what equates to a brand name. millions of dollars in merch sales alone. that being said, with the short stop position weak right now, he could help a number of teams offensively.

im thinking he resigns, but its not concrete. if negotiations drag on, things could get ugly.

i do know the tigers were looking at him as an option, but decided to resign jhonny perraulta instead (THANK GOD!)

edit: this is not a derek jeter hate train parade. hes done alot of great things for the yankees, but the truth is he isnt what he used to be. so were clear.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:56 pm 
Captain Dynasty

If they're smart, they'll get rid of him.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:59 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i would say he comes back, 75% sure. but the yankees reported wont offer more then 3 years. jeter wants 5 or 6. in 3 years, hell be finished. done.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:00 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Their best move (I think) would be to move Jeter to 3rd, slide A-Roid to the DH, and cut Posada. Extends Gay-Rod's career, keeps Jeter around because he's Jeter, and lets them fill the perceived defensive hole at SS.

As a Red Sox fan, I hope they don't. :)

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:25 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
Their best move (I think) would be to move Jeter to 3rd, slide A-Roid to the DH, and cut Posada. Extends Gay-Rod's career, keeps Jeter around because he's Jeter, and lets them fill the perceived defensive hole at SS.

As a Red Sox fan, I hope they don't. :)

jeter has a good arm but i question whether its good enough for third. also, jeter cant move to his left, where most balls would be hit if he played third. as well as a-rod has played at third, hes a natural SS, and moving him back to SS would be ideal. although, a-rod isnt 25 anymore, so maybe he cant play it anymore. its amazing to realize the yankees would be better if they cut ties with jeter. stunning.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:27 pm 
Captain Dynasty

good write up. it says the opposite of my gut feeling. jeter needs the yankees, not the other way around.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/ ... id=5821214

im starting to believe the yankees will be jeter free next year.

PuckSniperPensel
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:31 pm 
Page Side

I think Jeter will be a yankee next season, and I think he'll have a rebound year statistically.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:35 pm 
Captain Dynasty

PuckSniperPensel wrote:
I think Jeter will be a yankee next season, and I think he'll have a rebound year statistically.

hes 36. the only way he rebounds is he calls up balco and takes steroids. the days of him hitting .300 are over. mainly because hes an inside out hitter, requiring alot of a bat speed. and thats the problem. his bat speed is declining rapidly. chances are hes a yankee next year. but this is a business, and the yankees will 90 games with or without him. the fans will forget, and remember, the yankees are cut throat. they wont think twice about jeter being in a different uniform.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:36 pm 
Hart Winner

Hey Irony, I thought you quit these boards?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:41 pm 
Captain Dynasty

BlueandYellow wrote:

i did. i was battling some personal shit and the last thing i wanted to do was take out my issues with people on this board. i fixed those personal problems and i feel ready to return without being an asshole to people for no reason.

as for jeter, they walked away from a legend before in mattingly. they may do it again.

BlueandYellow
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:56 pm 
Hart Winner

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
BlueandYellow wrote:

i did. i was battling some personal shit and the last thing i wanted to do was take out my issues with people on this board. i fixed those personal problems and i feel ready to return without being an asshole to people for no reason.

as for jeter, they walked away from a legend before in mattingly. they may do it again.

Welcome back!

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:01 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Mattingly never won a championship with them. Jeter has won what? 5? That's the difference in making him a "brand name" that Mattingly never acheived. Jeter has been the face of the Yankees for over a decade, and I think the Yankees realize that and see him as part of their image and that he's just as important in that role as he is one the field. I think he stays in pinstripes, but I really don't know that much about the business of baseball anymore, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm totally wrong.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:16 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Stuuuuuuu wrote:
Mattingly never won a championship with them. Jeter has won what? 5? That's the difference in making him a "brand name" that Mattingly never acheived. Jeter has been the face of the Yankees for over a decade, and I think the Yankees realize that and see him as part of their image and that he's just as important in that role as he is one the field. I think he stays in pinstripes, but I really don't know that much about the business of baseball anymore, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm totally wrong.

agreed. but at some point, the yankees need to better themselves. this is franchise who strives for perfection. and for the first time in a long time, jeter could actually HURT them. the more you think about it, the more sense it makes for the yankees to let jeter go. i dunno. the fans will be upset, but by the the time the first october rolls around, and jeter isnt part of that team, and they still win 95 games, no one will notice. and as ive said several times, the yankees are just brutally cut throat about running a business. they embody "what have you done for me lately?" and they win because of it. warm, fuzzy, nostalgia doesnt run through the yankees blood.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:39 am 
Star Sniper

Lol. Admit your mancrush for Jeter. He's your idol...you know it to be true!!!

I don't really care that much. If they have a good talent in Nunez or a FA to replace him then fine. If not, the deal shouldn't keep him around past age 40 at the latest. I'd like to see Gardner at the top of the line-up anyway.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:44 am 
Captain Dynasty

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Lol. Admit your mancrush for Jeter. He's your idol...you know it to be true!!!

I don't really care that much. If they have a good talent in Nunez or a FA to replace him then fine. If not, the deal shouldn't keep him around past age 40 at the latest. I'd like to see Gardner at the top of the line-up anyway.

blasphemy! thanks for austin jackson by the way :P

i strongly dislike jeter, but its fascinating to see a future HOFer in decline and possibly about to trade jerseys. i saw it with my idol griffey (second best player, ALL TIME)

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:06 pm 
Captain Dynasty

looks like the yankees negotiating strategy is beginning to fluster the jeter camp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/ ... id=5834753

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:22 pm 
Captain Dynasty

yankees dont offer jeter arbitration.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/ ... id=5841869

this is getting weird.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

If Jeter ends up elsewhere over $5m-$6m a year, all hell is going to break lose in NY, even if it's the correct decision for both parties.

That's chump change to that team.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:54 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
If Jeter ends up elsewhere over $5m-$6m a year, all hell is going to break lose in NY, even if it's the correct decision for both parties.

That's chump change to that team.

the only thing i can think of is that team strives to be the best, and putting jeter at short isnt their best option ATM. thats all i can think of.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:56 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I see both sides of the argument.

The team feels that Jeter is on the decline, and they don't think he's worth as much to them.

Jeter feels that last year was an aberration, and he's not as far gone as they think he is.

They've played hardball with players in their late 30s for years. This really isn't turning out any differently.