It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:39 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

http://www.businessinsider.com/nevada-l ... te-2010-11

If Nevada had lost to Boise State, Boise would have been in a BCS bowl game, and the WAC would have gotten about $10M in TV revenues. Nevada's share would have been about $1M.

Since Nevada won, Boise State doesn't get a BCS bowl, and the WAC doesn't get that money.

Why do people care about college football again? There's almost no point in playing unless you're in a BCS conference.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:57 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
http://www.businessinsider.com/nevada-lost-nearly-1-million-by-beating-boise-state-2010-11

If Nevada had lost to Boise State, Boise would have been in a BCS bowl game, and the WAC would have gotten about $10M in TV revenues. Nevada's share would have been about $1M.

Since Nevada won, Boise State doesn't get a BCS bowl, and the WAC doesn't get that money.

Why do people care about college football again? There's almost no point in playing unless you're in a BCS conference.

i cant give you certain answer. college football is, charmingly to me, stuck in time. i understand it doesnt always make sense, but its just one of those things.

college football is raw, pure emotion. it follows that old sports cliche where the players have pride in the jersey of the program that they are pulling over their heads. you dont get that feeling in the NFL. (which, branching off, is why i feel i love the NHL so much. paid professionals, yes, but the feeling of the team pulling together for a playoff run, its magical.)

college football is flawed, theres no question about it. but its charmingly flawed. thats just my opinion.

now, i dont mean to rub anyone the wrong way. so forgive me if i do. college football isnt really all that big over there in new york. outside syracuse.. who is.. meh. you dont really have it. i mean, im an hour from UofM and 45 minutes from MSU, and 3 hours from notre dame, 3 hours from OSU. college football is life for many here. so thats why i defend it so valiantly.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:59 pm 
Sober enough to run a server

While I find college football more exciting to watch than pro, the politics and associated BS that goes along with the conferences and the BCS is a complete turn off. As it sits, I only get excited for 3 games:
Michigan / Michigan st.
Michigan / Ohio
Army / Navy

The BCS can suck it.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:00 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Crosscheck wrote:
While I find college football more exciting to watch than pro, the politics and associated BS that goes along with the conferences and the BCS is a complete turn off. As it sits, I only get excited for 3 games:
Michigan / Michigan st.
Michigan / Ohio
Army / Navy

The BCS can suck it.

michigan doesnt play ohio... >:| >:| >:|

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:03 pm 

I seem to remember Michigan getting their asses kicked by Ohio again just a couple weeks ago...are you being sarcastic?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:04 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Crosscheck wrote:
I seem to remember Michigan getting their asses kicked by Ohio again just a couple weeks ago...are you being sarcastic?

ohio STATE. mute at this point, but. not much gets me going quite like OSU.

Crosscheck
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:07 pm 

Oh...well I'm certainly not going to start giving them any respect by writing out the entire name of their wretched school ;)

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:11 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Crosscheck wrote:
Oh...well I'm certainly not going to start giving them any respect by writing out the entire name of their wretched school ;)

you have no idea.....

but the BCS is stupid, i agree. however, i feel boise state should go out and get a conference. i mean, they arnt a flash in a pan program, they are legit. so join a major conference. the pac 10. beat the shit out of the trojans anally. i meant annually, but anally works too.

Squanto
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:12 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Crosscheck wrote:
While I find college football more exciting to watch than pro, the politics and associated BS that goes along with the conferences and the BCS is a complete turn off.

This is pretty much where I sit too. I think it's a joke that a really good team and program like Boise State can't play with the big boys just because they happen to be in a different conference. The entire BCS system is simply there to protect the profits of the schools and conferences involved.

I also find it distasteful that an athlete can get in trouble for letting a coach buy them a meal, but it's considered acceptable for those same athletes to get $500 and up in gift bag swag from bowl sponsors when playing in a bowl game.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:49 pm 
Captain Dynasty

TCU did it perfectly. Pick a dogshit conference with a bunch of awful teams that you can immediately step in and dominate like you're a camp counselor among fourth graders.