It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:36 pm 
Cup Winner

Honestly with most teams who already have a huge lead, you don't see them try to score anymore points, they play a conservative offensive game which involves just running the ball and short throws to maybe keep the clock running, more or less, just running the ball to take away time on the clock.

Brady has shown he isn't afraid to throw a deep ball while being up 30 points in a game. To me, that's douchebaggery. You're winning by 30 points, why keep trying to score for?

I would honestly say it's way different in baseball, basketball, and hockey to play conservative. the NBA teams can overcome 20 point deficits to still win, baseball teams can overcome 10 runs down, and even hockey teams can overcome 5 goals. But in football it's really hard to just overcome 21 points unless your name is Payton Manning, as we've seen him overcome that many points plenty of times, and even recently it almost happened against the Patriots again.

It happens in the NFL, but not that often. If you're up by 30, run the clock out, if they score and cut it to 21 or so, put a little more pressure on them, if you end up only being up by 14, by all means keep trying to score, a 2 TD game is not that safe.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:10 pm 
PP Quarterback

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Honestly with most teams who already have a huge lead, you don't see them try to score anymore points, they play a conservative offensive game which involves just running the ball and short throws to maybe keep the clock running, more or less, just running the ball to take away time on the clock.

Brady has shown he isn't afraid to throw a deep ball while being up 30 points in a game. To me, that's douchebaggery. You're winning by 30 points, why keep trying to score for?

I would honestly say it's way different in baseball, basketball, and hockey to play conservative. the NBA teams can overcome 20 point deficits to still win, baseball teams can overcome 10 runs down, and even hockey teams can overcome 5 goals. But in football it's really hard to just overcome 21 points unless your name is Payton Manning, as we've seen him overcome that many points plenty of times, and even recently it almost happened against the Patriots again.

It happens in the NFL, but not that often. If you're up by 30, run the clock out, if they score and cut it to 21 or so, put a little more pressure on them, if you end up only being up by 14, by all means keep trying to score, a 2 TD game is not that safe.

1. The Patriots don't have a dependable running game. It only works in conjunction with their passing game.

2. THEY'RE FUCKING ADULTS, they score because that's what their job is for. There's not some whine ass mercy rule like your little league baseball team (which just avoids any character building, we didn't have one in little league and I got my ass whooped a lot).

3. If it happens at all, it is worth preventing. There are 16 games and the parity in the NFL dictates that you don't let winnable games slip or it will bite you in the end. Look at the Ravens this year...they lose 2 of the games this year that they barely held on to and they're out of the playoffs. One of those games lost might have even prevented them from making the postseason.

All this bullshit is is a way to hate on one of the best quarterbacks of all time who happens to tear the Bills to shreds and play in our division. Hating him is fine, finding ridiculously whiny ways to do it is ridiculous. I hate Peyton Manning because I think he's a stuck up prick, but I also respect the shit out of him as a player and as a comedian.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:13 pm 
Captain Dynasty

I think saying that Brady is the best quarterback of all time is a gross under-representation of the talents of Elway, Favre, Young, Montana, and Unitas.

If you put a gun to my head and told me I have to pick a quarterback in the prime of his career to win a football game for a team to save my life, and the only knowledge I have going into the game is the guy I pick, it's going to to be Elway or Young, not Tom Brady.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:14 pm 
Cup Winner

I was just pointing out if you're up by 30 points the odds of winning are basically 99% so why try and score another TD.

I'm not saying to not score and just run the clock out if you're only up by one TD.

It wasn't a full on hate of Brady. You do realize I hate Brady, but that doesn't make me blind to see how good he is?

Yes, I threw his name out there because I think it's stupid to try and score another TD while being up by 30 points. And one of the only QB's and teams that still try and score while winning by 30 or more is basically the Patriots.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:57 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
WIth time running down and a 31-26 lead, Peyton Manning rolled out to his left to find no one between him and the end zone. Sprinting all the way down to the five, Manning then took a slide to run out the clock rather than gallop into the end zone. In an NFL where Brady is running up the score every chance he gets to pad stats, you gotta love Manning.

Didn't read the whole thread, so maybe someone brought this up. But I think he went down because he knew he was going to get tackled from behind, and since he's a precious, fragile QB, he went down to avoid the contact. That's the way they described the play on something I was watching.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:00 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

If you watch the play, you can see him look behind at the approaching player at least twice before going down. I think he just didn't want to get hit.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:04 am 
Cup Winner

He had one more step or so to go. It was a TD had he stayed up, maybe he would have been hit, but I highly doubt he would have been hit.

I've seen the replay a few times and no one was near him until he slide to the ground.

Rud wrote:

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:49 am 
Superstar Goalie

PatGreen wrote:
2. THEY'RE FUCKING ADULTS, they score because that's what their job is for. There's not some whine ass mercy rule like your little league baseball team (which just avoids any character building, we didn't have one in little league and I got my ass whooped a lot)

Very well put. Also, I didn't see anyone on here bitching on the 9th when we played San Jose. Remember Goose scoring the empty netter with 26 seconds left to go, putting the score at 5-3 Buffalo? Then when we were all on our way to the kitchen for a nice cold beer to see us through the post game coverage, Vanek pops it in behind Niemi with 8.8 seconds left. I cheered like everyone here did. Soooo....... ;)

PatGreen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:00 am 
PP Quarterback

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
I think saying that Brady is the best quarterback of all time is a gross under-representation of the talents of Elway, Favre, Young, Montana, and Unitas.

one of the best, I said. there isn't an expert in the world who wouldn't put him top 10, and probably top 5.

the only two quarterbacks I'd ever consider taking ahead of Brady are Elway and Montana. Marino and Kelly were chokers, Unitas gets looked at the same with Bart Star...romanticized to shit. Farve was good, but he has always been too dangerous because he doesn't have a safety game when he has a lead.

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:02 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
He had one more step or so to go. It was a TD had he stayed up, maybe he would have been hit, but I highly doubt he would have been hit.

I've seen the replay a few times and no one was near him until he slide to the ground.

If all he wanted to do was run out the clock, then why didn't he go down as soon as he had the first down? No, he would have scored if he thought he could make it for sure without getting hit.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:15 pm 
Captain Dynasty

PatGreen wrote:
CriminallyVu1gar wrote:

one of the best, I said. there isn't an expert in the world who wouldn't put him top 10, and probably top 5.

the only two quarterbacks I'd ever consider taking ahead of Brady are Elway and Montana. Marino and Kelly were chokers, Unitas gets looked at the same with Bart Star...romanticized to shit. Farve was good, but he has always been too dangerous because he doesn't have a safety game when he has a lead.

ill say it. hes the best. favre plays with 0 intelligence half the time, and turns the ball over way too much. was he great? you bet. one of the greatest? not in my book.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:50 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Steve Young was the man.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:49 pm 
Captain Dynasty

ill agree with that. steve young was great.