It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:04 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Chris Mortensen just broke the story via Twitter that Shawne Merriman has signed a two year extension with the Bills. Money not yet available.

Quote:
Filed to ESPN: Shawne Merriman has signed a 2-year contract to remain with the Buffalo Bills, GM Buddy Nix confirmed a few minutes ago.

Edit: Terms now public: 2 yrs, $10.5M ($2.5M guaranteed)

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:49 pm 
Cup Winner

That's awesome. Glad he has decided to stick around and actually play with the Bills.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:11 pm 
PP Quarterback

Ehh. Not gonna get excited about this one because of the huge risk that he flops.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5978595

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:45 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

I'm hoping that #dontcrossthemoats and Merriman will fuck people up next year. Keep Poz in the middle and maybe sign/draft another middle linebacker to stand next to them and our run D won't suck... The pass D however, :(

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:57 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

After what I had heard from someone who does a Bills radio show and is in the locker room all the time, Merriman wanted nothing to do with the Bills. Totally floored that he signed an extension to stay.

Rud
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:57 pm 
Superstar Goalie

This is okay maybe I guess

mechaphil
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:58 pm 
Thy Horror Cosmic

Only $2.5M guaranteed is a risk I'm happy with.

Nuthatch
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:54 pm 
Penalty Killer

Squanto wrote:
After what I had heard from someone who does a Bills radio show and is in the locker room all the time, Merriman wanted nothing to do with the Bills. Totally floored that he signed an extension to stay.

Maybe nobody else wanted anything to do with him, eh? Could be that he's signed a 2 year "rehabilitate your image" contract, a la TO. Or maybe the Bills locker room grew on him. *shrug*

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:45 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Yeah I'm with Beth on this one. The guy couldn't even make it a half hour through one practice, and now he's worth that money?

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:59 pm 
Cup Winner

You don't just forget his past success. 2.5 million is chump change in the NFL.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:08 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

Success that is tainted by steroid use and is several seasons behind him. Your logic here makes no sense, unless in the NHL you wouldn't mind throwing big money at guys like Alexei Yashin and Maxim Afinogenov based on past success...

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:08 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

Success that is tainted by steroid use and is several seasons behind him. Your logic here makes no sense, unless in the NHL you wouldn't mind throwing big money at guys like Alexei Yashin and Maxim Afinogenov based on past success...

It makes perfect sense if you sign a young player (26 I believe) to a contract where only 2.5 is guaranteed. If he's terrible or hurt he won't get half of what he signed on for.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:26 pm 
Cup Winner

CriminallyVu1gar wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

This isn't the NHL, this is the NFL and you don't normally see those trends here. You either have it or you don't.

And 2.5 million guaranteed only? You realize that is 2.5 million or 1.25 a year only for his contract with incentives?

This is nothing for the salary cap the NFL has anyways.

Rud wrote:

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:17 pm 
Star Sniper

Mike Singletary for Def coordinator?? Not sure he could work with Chan, but this defense needs help, and Poz needs a new perspective, too. I think he could help.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:46 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

daz28 wrote:
Mike Singletary for Def coordinator?? Not sure he could work with Chan, but this defense needs help, and Poz needs a new perspective, too. I think he could help.

That would be cool... Who ran the D when our GM was in San Diego? if he's not doing anything I could see him being a front runner for the job.

daz28
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:51 pm 
Star Sniper

Well, we do have to work up the nads to release Edwards first. I certainly hope they didn't feel like he did a good job. Then again, they think Kelsay is a good LB, which is laughable. Sure Kelsay is an ok pass rusher, but in space he is a JOKE.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:48 am 
Cup Winner

daz28 wrote:
Well, we do have to work up the nads to release Edwards first. I certainly hope they didn't feel like he did a good job. Then again, they think Kelsay is a good LB, which is laughable. Sure Kelsay is an ok pass rusher, but in space he is a JOKE.

Because Kelsay is not a LB, he is a DE.

Rud wrote:

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:00 am 
PP Quarterback

Who knows what this contract will even mean with the upcoming CBA debacle.

daz28
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:36 am 
Star Sniper

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
daz28 wrote:

Because Kelsay is not a LB, he is a DE.

He plays LB for the Bills this year. Previously he had lined up at DE(and in spots this year). Anytime you saw him chasing the wide open RB out of the backfield this year was all him getting beat. Too small for DE, and too slow for LB. Classic Bills 'tweener'.