It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

X-pensfan
 Post subject: Re: NFL playoffs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:34 am 
Star Sniper

Quite the heated debate in Pittsburgh over who to start on Sunday. Aaron Smith--one of the very best defensive line men in the game of football. Or Ziggy Hood--a #1 draft pick who is just now finding an elite level of play.

Smith hasn't played all season, so after the adrenaline wears off you have to wonder about fatigue in the second half. He's a dedicated professional who has busted his ass to get back into the line up, and he's been the cornerstone of the entire defense for years. His amazing ability to take on multiple blockers while STILL forcing pressure at times and making tackles makes everything else about the defense better. The blitz packages are always much less effective without him.

The fact that Hood has even made this a debate is a credit to his play. He's figured out what Coach Lebeau wants from him on and off the field and his ability is flourishing at just the right time. He's the safe bet, because the confidence is there and he's conditioned to play the entire game without excessive fatigue.

I can't decide.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:47 am 
Star Sniper

Start Smith and if he's not up to his usual level of play go to Hood. Either way Hood should get plenty of snaps late in the game.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:50 am 
Star Sniper

Yeah but then you're messing with Hood's confidence a little and he'll be starting the game cold. They need to pick one to stay with the entire game.

This just in:

Quote:
Smith will practice
Defensive end Aaron Smith, who has not practiced since his triceps were torn Oct. 24 in Miami, will return to practice this week for the Steelers, Tomlin said.

"Aaron Smith is going to practice this week. We'll see where that practice participation takes us."

The coach made no promises, and it remains unlikely that Smith will play against the Jets. No matter what, Ziggy Hood will remain the starter on the left side.

"A snap count is probably going to be a part of that discussion if he's deemed well enough to go, and that's going to be a limited number of snaps," Tomlin said of Smith. "The guys that have replaced him, like Ziggy Hood, have more than met the standard. They deserve to continue to play, but it'd be nice to add that tool to the toolbox."

Other than that, Tomlin said, "We're in great shape" on the status of his injured players.

Those most seriously injured are special teams player Will Allen (knee sprain) and starting cornerback Bryant McFadden (abdominal strain). Tomlin said both players will be limited in practice this week.

As for good news on players who had to leave the game Sunday, Tomlin said his two tackles, Jonathan Scott and Flozell Adams, are both OK and will be ready to go. Troy Polamalu, as part of the routine since he came down with an Achilles-related injury in November, will not practice until Friday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11019/11 ... z1BUe3ud3O

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:09 pm 
Cup Winner

And that is what they should do, Smith may be good, but why change to someone who hasn't played all season, especially if you've got a guy who is playing great in place of him.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:22 pm 
Star Sniper

My fault, I didn't realize that Smith hadn't practiced yet. He probably wouldn't be game ready until the Super Bowl, and even then be limited to a few snaps.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:51 pm 
Star Sniper

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11021/1119481-66.stm

Great article about Smith and Hood.

Quote:
"I just hope I'm good enough one day that they talk about me the same way they talk about Aaron," he said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11021/11 ... z1BiWFi7wN

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:11 am 
Cup Winner

Great article indeed, and I hope they lose just so they can't get a 7th possible Superbowl.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:57 pm 
Star Sniper

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Great article indeed, and I hope they lose just so they can't get a 7th possible Superbowl.

:clap: