It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Sabresfansince1980
 Post subject: Super Bowl XLV thread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:51 pm 
Star Sniper

Green Bay Packers vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

GB defense vs Pitt offense - this will be interesting with former Pitt DC Dom Capers now in charge of the GB defense. There will be a steady diet of zone bliztes for Roethlisberger to deal with, and a couple of solid corners. I think Pitt will be able to run the ball but passing may be tougher.

GB offense vs Pitt defense - this will be the main event of the game. On turf Rodgers will have an advantage and I expect all his WRs, TEs, and RBs to get open on a regular basis. Pitt will have to put pressure up front to knock Rodgers off his rythm, which they can do. It will be up to Rodgers to slip sacks, buy time, and hit the open man.

I have no prediction at all aside from it being a great match-up and a great game. It will simply come down to which team makes an extra big play. I will take a pure guess though, and say that Pittsburgh's experience at the SB causes one less mistake that affords them the big win...uh...23-20.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:00 am 
Franchise Defenseman

GB would have rolled Chicago, until Rodgers got nailed early (before Peppers tried to take his head off) he was never the same after that. I also stand by the idea that the bears would not have gotten 2 TD's if Cutler hadn't gotten hurt. Hanie was good. Really weird.

Packers not being able to run is a slight bother, will be made more obvious by the Pittsburgh Wall.

What scares me is Ben Rapelessburger. Not a statistically great QB, however he shows up in game winning situations, and the playoffs especially. If they can contain him, the packers can win comfortably.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:01 am 
Star Sniper

About a year ago the Steelers beat them 37-36 at Heinze Field.

Roethlisberger threw for 500 yards with 3 TD.

The Steelers aging defense is my only concern. A troublesome trademark over the past 2 seasons is the way they lose steam in the second half of games. Today was an example of that, and the fact that they gave up 22 points to GB in the 4th quarter alone is worrisome. The Steelers attack aggressively on defense and they can wear themselves out, because they are a little long in the tooth these days. The 2 weeks off will help them tremendously.

My hope is that they can put together some long 2nd half running drives like they did today in the 1st half. But if they need points in a hurry Big Ben can dissect that secondary.

28-21 Steelers.

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Last edited by X-pensfan on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:04 am 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
Big Ben can dissect that secondary.

:lol:

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:05 am 
Star Sniper

Van_Da_Man wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

This will really crack you up.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291220023

"And I love that I have an erection that doesn't involve homeless people." Kreiger

Rud
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:06 am 
Superstar Goalie

Two words: Championship Belt.

Go Pack.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:35 am 
Franchise Defenseman

X-pensfan wrote:
Van_Da_Man wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

I'd be amazed if Ben gets 250 this time. The Packers Air D was no joke then, but I'd say it's even better now. And Ben doesn't exactly light up the stat box in the Super Bowl.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:43 am 
Cup Winner

You're going to use a stat from last season and not this season, you're kidding me aren't you?

It will be a very close game and I say that the Packers will win it. They honestly have a much better rhythm then the Steelers right now.

I'd also say the Steelers got lucky the Jets had to play both New England and Indianapolis so they were worn out, especially when they contained Brady like they did.

But a failure to win 7 is what I want. What I want more is the Bills making the playoffs before I turn 30.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:30 am 
Star Sniper

Van_Da_Man wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
Van_Da_Man wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:

I'd be amazed if Ben gets 250 this time. The Packers Air D was no joke then, but I'd say it's even better now. And Ben doesn't exactly light up the stat box in the Super Bowl.

Mendenhall is way better then he used to be, the Steelers wont have to air it out to win but if they have too they have a 2 time Super Bowl winner who once lit their team up for 500 yards. You can talk and talk about how physical the Steelers are and how fast they supposedly are but until you experience it you aren't ready for it. Green Bay is going to get slapped around on both sides of the ball. The only concern I have is the second half defense, but they will be well rested.

Roethlisbeger sucked in his first SB but he put up some nice numbers in the 2008. 21-30, 250 yards, 1td/1int. if he does that again they will win for sure. You don't need Marino in his prime to win when you have the best D in the league and a strong running game. Having said that he actually is a great QB.

This is the first trip to the Big Dance for a lot of the Fudgers, they are going to be caught up in the glitz and glamour. It's all bidness for Mr. T's Stillers.

Last edited by X-pensfan on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:32 am 
Star Sniper

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
You're going to use a stat from last season and not this season, you're kidding me aren't you?

It will be a very close game and I say that the Packers will win it. They honestly have a much better rhythm then the Steelers right now.

I'd also say the Steelers got lucky the Jets had to play both New England and Indianapolis so they were worn out, especially when they contained Brady like they did.

But a failure to win 7 is what I want. What I want more is the Bills making the playoffs before I turn 30.

Right because the teams are so dramatically different, get a clue dude, same coordinators and 80% of the same team. Guess the Jets should have thought about your luck theory when they finished as a wild card and not a division winner like the Steelers did. It's called earning your bye week.

CriminallyVu1gar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:41 am 
Captain Dynasty

I feel like the Packers were the best team in the NFC heading into the playoffs and they don't get enough credit for being extremely talented.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:53 am 
Cup Winner

X-pensfan wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

Right because the teams are so dramatically different, get a clue dude, same coordinators and 80% of the same team. Guess the Jets should have thought about your luck theory when they finished as a wild card and not a division winner like the Steelers did. It's called earning your bye week.

One year older also, the Packers aren't the same team they used to be.

The Jets could have easily earned a bye week, but they weren't better than New England in the regular season.

I love how cocky you are about this, you get so defensive about anything bad said about the Steelers.

I mean the Packers must be the same team, because they beat the Eagles and steam rolled the Number one seeded Falcons, and beat a Bears team in a defensive battle also. I'm very sure they are the same team as last year when they ended up scoring 45 points in their playoff loss to the Cardinals.

Yes the Steelers came back against the Ravens, and barely held onto a win tonight, and we'll see who is truly the better team in two weeks.

Rud wrote:
As I said in the GDT, the call on Rivet was horseshit. The Bruins player was holding onto Rivet's stick like it was the last fucking raft on the Titanic.

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:10 am 
Star Sniper

Looking at SB stats from 40 and 43 and assuming R-berger will not play well is equally dumb or more so. I'm a Steelers fan, they've been my favorite AFC team and 2nd favorite team my whole life, but looking back at past games one way or another is not going to predict much for the next game. GB looks solid on both sides of the ball, and the turf should help them on offense. They are not an overlooked team after 4-5 total blowout wins in the reg season and three road playoff wins. Rodgers has proven himself as the hottest QB right now. That said, Pitt has THE BEST defense and the turf makes them faster too. R-berger can make anything happen and the run game is solid. Both coaching staffs are very sharp. It's about a toss-up aside from previous experience in the SB. Let's just admit that both teams deserve to be there and for now it looks like it should be a very good game.

This sounds like most Sabres talk - a bunch of personal preferences and biases instead of straight up commentary. I wonder though - a serious question - where does the Steeler hate mostly come from? Pittsburgh and Buffalo were old rust belt sister cities that still love the hell out of their sports teams. Should there not be some form of appreciation for a town's sports success that has such a similar population? Does the success just annoy people the way it does for Cowboy haters (totally justifiable) or Yankee haters (complete nonsense...lol) and nullify any similarities?

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:19 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

My personal Steeler hate comes from a similar place as my Cowboy hate.

Obnoxious bandwagon fans out of their home cities. I don't have any problem with someone from Dallas or Pittsburgh who loves their team. They should, and they should revel in their successes. However, I live in Buffalo. I don't see any Cowboys gear on right now, but if they're winning next year, I will, and everyone will tell you how awesome 'their' team is. The second they suck, the gear is back in the closet.

People who become fans of a team just because that team happens to be winning at the time annoy me. Fly the flag for your team through the good times and bad IMO. Sticking with them when they suck makes it that much sweeting when they win. (Allegedly.)

That and I don't like Big Ben.

I think it's a good matchup, and should be an entertaining game. I'm taking the Pack by 4 based on nothing more than my desire to see Rodgers and Starks win one.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:23 am 
Star Sniper

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/08/peter_king_steelers_will_win_super_bowl.html

I'm not the only one that predicted the Steelers to win it all this season, King even picked the NFC team.

X-pensfan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 am 
Star Sniper

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
X-pensfan wrote:
Skyline_BNR34 wrote:

One year older also, the Packers aren't the same team they used to be.

The Jets could have easily earned a bye week, but they weren't better than New England in the regular season.

I love how cocky you are about this, you get so defensive about anything bad said about the Steelers.

I mean the Packers must be the same team, because they beat the Eagles and steam rolled the Number one seeded Falcons, and beat a Bears team in a defensive battle also. I'm very sure they are the same team as last year when they ended up scoring 45 points in their playoff loss to the Cardinals.

Yes the Steelers came back against the Ravens, and barely held onto a win tonight, and we'll see who is truly the better team in two weeks.

Make up your mind. Are they the same team as a year ago or aren't they? You're just babbling nonsense at this point.

The Steelers DOM-IN-AT-ED the first half of the AFC game. When you beat the shit out of somebody THAT BAD you can let them crawl to their knees before finishing them off. Am I being defensive when I tell you that the Steelers held your dirty Sanchise to 50 yards of total offense in the first half? Was it luck and only luck that ran up the score 24-3 in the first half? Where was the genius Rex Ryan when his team was being man handled? Am I being defensive by simply stating what transpired?

They got knocked the fuck out dude, stop feeling butt hurt about it and take it like a man. At least Ravens fans actually know football.

Sabretooth
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 am 
Garbage Man

Sabresfansince1980 wrote:
Green Bay Packers vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

GB defense vs Pitt offense - this will be interesting with former Pitt DC Dom Capers now in charge of the GB defense.

I was wondering where "Dumb Dom" went to. Too bad his defense will falter against the Steelers.

Skyline_BNR34
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:37 pm 
Cup Winner

Umm I hate the Jets also, I don't care if they got knocked out either, and I hate the Steelers, I didn't want either team to make it that far. Why do you think I'm pulling so hard for the Packers to win it all?

I simply hate the Steelers and everything about Pittsburgh sports teams.

And you can't use past games from different seasons to compare any game today. It's pointless and stupid. Because the teams get better and are a year older and more experienced.

Rud wrote:

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:54 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Skyline_BNR34 wrote:
Umm I hate the Jets also, I don't care if they got knocked out either, and I hate the Steelers, I didn't want either team to make it that far. Why do you think I'm pulling so hard for the Packers to win it all?

I simply hate the Steelers and everything about Pittsburgh sports teams.

And you can't use past games from different seasons to compare any game today. It's pointless and stupid. Because the teams get better and are a year older and more experienced.

woah woah woah.

whats wrong with the pirates??

;)

Sabresfansince1980
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:05 pm 
Star Sniper

I hate everything about people who hate everything about a particular city's sports teams. It doesn't have to make any sense either.