It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:14 pm 
Captain Dynasty

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multim ... ent.1.html

oh you better believe im enjoying the shit out of the third most overrated: derek fucking jeter.

NYIntensity
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:18 pm 
Superstar Goalie

Is there an option for 'all of them'?

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:18 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

That list is terrible.

Longoria? Overrated? No way. JD Drew? Everyone thinks he sucks already!! Pujols? Really?

Wozniak
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:28 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1106/mlb-players-poll-most-overrated-player/content.1.html

oh you better believe im enjoying the shit out of the third most overrated: derek fucking jeter.

i have to call borderline bull shit on some of those. Chamberlain? Burnett? Soriano? Swisher? I wish they gave reasons why they are overrated. It also seems like they went more by contracts then anything else.

I still dont get your hatred of jeter. yes, hes overrated in both fielding and hitting, that tends to happen when a player has had some great plays/hits over the years and is almost at the end of his career.

"That wasn't very nice...I do believe you killed my hat."

Driver of the FIRE LINDY RUFF Bandwagon since 2008.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:35 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I'm a huge Red Sox fan as we all know, and I like Jeter. He's a great player on the downside of his career, and still playing better than most his age.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:36 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Wozniak wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1106/mlb-players-poll-most-overrated-player/content.1.html

i have to call borderline bull shit on some of those. Chamberlain? Burnett? Soriano? Swisher? I wish they gave reasons why they are overrated. It also seems like they went more by contracts then anything else.

I still dont get your hatred of jeter. yes, hes overrated in both fielding and hitting, that tends to happen when a player has had some great plays/hits over the years and is almost at the end of his career.

i dunno, these guys play the sport for a living. theyd know over anyone else if they were overrated.

i stand by my statement that if jeter was in a uniform say.. in seattle, hed be looked at as a "very good player" and nothing more. his career .313 batting average is very good, but for someone who doesnt hit for power or exceptional production, its all he has. his defense is terrible, has been his whole career. he doenst make errors, but he doesnt get to balls unless they are hit right at him. terrible TERRIBLE range. above average arm, i feel.

i dont see why hes a shoe-in for the hall of fame, his one saving grace being his career batting average. average power, below average fielding... its all about the pinstripes man.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:55 pm 
Captain Dynasty

heres a question tom and jeff. is nomar garciaparra hall of fame worthy?

by the way, im hoping to keep this a discussion, not argument.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:26 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

I put Nomar in that probably not category. But, I see where you're going, and I don't think the two compare.

Jeter has 5 rings, over 2300 games, will clear 3000 hits this year, and probably has another season left. Career .383 OBP, which I'm a big fan of. (If you're getting on, you're not getting out.Call me Billy Beane.)

If you put Jeter's stat line next to all the other shortstops already in, and take their names out, you couldn't argue with him there one bit. That plus 5 rings, and doing it in the pressure cooker of NY means he should be in on the first ballot.

(I can't believe I just argued for a Yankee....)

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:48 pm 
Captain Dynasty

nomar has the same batting average, and 7 less career home runs... in less then 1000 games. now, if you want to say "that makes a case for jeters career, the longevity, ill give it to you. however, that speaks volumes about nomars career as well. a career .313 average, more power, better defense. but less rings (but its a team sport) and a shorter career.

my argument is jeter has really only excelled at hitting for average over his career, and while a .313 career BA is impressive, its not mindblowing. if he was hitting a career .340... then i can not argue that. but seeing as his career BA is his only real shining status... i dont give him the hall.

now, OBP.. thats impressive too, but i value batting average above OBP because its easier to take a walk then it is to get a hit. of course, im talking for hall of fame purposes for an individual, i understand how much more important OBP is then batting average, im just talking about someone making it to the hall of fame. i hope you get what i mean.

Squanto
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:01 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Only two shortstops in the hall already have career BAs over .313 : Arky Vaughan and Honus Wagner. Cal only hit .276, Ernie Banks .274, Ozzie Smith .274....etc etc.

Put Jeter's numbers up against any shortstop already there. He beats most of them in almost every statistical category.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:12 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
Only two shortstops in the hall already have career BAs over .313 : Arky Vaughan and Honus Wagner. Cal only hit .276, Ernie Banks .274, Ozzie Smith .274....etc etc.

Put Jeter's numbers up against any shortstop already there. He beats most of them in almost every statistical category.

up till recently, middle infielders were light hitting, bottom 3 of the line up players, with very few exceptions, usually. so i see that point. however, banks and ripken also hit for more power. ozzie couldnt hit for power. one could argue for inflated batting averages, because frankly, a .300 hitter was more rare before the 80s. (has anyone else noticed this too?)

and ripken played in a few games in a row, from my understanding ;)

Stuuuuuuu
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:12 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
heres a question tom and jeff. is nomar garciaparra hall of fame worthy?

by the way, im hoping to keep this a discussion, not argument.

No fucking way. Not enough big years. If Jack Morris, maybe the most dominant pitcher in the AL in the 80's doesn't deserve it, Nomar doesn't have a prayer. Especially since his big years were in the steroids era.

Van_Da_Man
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:08 pm 
Franchise Defenseman

3000 hits (assuming he doesn't catastrophically explode) Is a great achievement, which IMO is hall of fame worthy.
I also think that if Mike Schmidt can get in the hall with 548 home runs, but only a .267 batting average and 2234 hits in ~17 years Jeter should with his ~3000 hits, ~236 home runs and ~.313 batting average should be a lock. I am not, however a voter, so I don't know how they figure in stats vs. the era of baseball said player was in, so I might just be making crap up. And I have nothing against Mike Schmidt, I just picked a guy with a crap ton of HR's but relatively low average/hits.

"I'm going to go to the spa and have a hot tub and massage and relax," Miller said. "That's it, and it's back to work tomorrow." Ryan Miller after clinching the North East division.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:27 pm 
PP Quarterback

Squanto wrote:
I put Nomar in that probably not category. But, I see where you're going, and I don't think the two compare.

Jeter has 5 rings, over 2300 games, will clear 3000 hits this year, and probably has another season left. Career .383 OBP, which I'm a big fan of. (If you're getting on, you're not getting out.Call me Billy Beane.)

If you put Jeter's stat line next to all the other shortstops already in, and take their names out, you couldn't argue with him there one bit. That plus 5 rings, and doing it in the pressure cooker of NY means he should be in on the first ballot.

(I can't believe I just argued for a Yankee....)

I approve of this post with glee. :D :D :D

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:19 pm 
Captain Dynasty

so basically, the only argument against nomar is his career wasnt long enough?

the unwritten benchmarks for a player to make the HOF is 3000 hits or 500 home runs. so jeter likely makes the HOF. fair enough. however, i still argue that if jeter wasnt playing in new york, he wouldnt be considered such a legend, and just a really good HITTING short stop with a good chance at cooperstown. but when yank fans put him in the same category as the GREATS... i have an extremely hard time accepting that. also..

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankee ... ing-player

this can only be viewed if you believe in sabermetrics, which i do.

Squanto
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:31 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

backthatSASSup wrote:

I love you dear, but I will cut you if I have to.

PatGreen
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:46 pm 
PP Quarterback

Van_Da_Man wrote:
3000 hits (assuming he doesn't catastrophically explode) Is a great achievement, which IMO is hall of fame worthy.
I also think that if Mike Schmidt can get in the hall with 548 home runs, but only a .267 batting average and 2234 hits in ~17 years Jeter should with his ~3000 hits, ~236 home runs and ~.313 batting average should be a lock. I am not, however a voter, so I don't know how they figure in stats vs. the era of baseball said player was in, so I might just be making crap up. And I have nothing against Mike Schmidt, I just picked a guy with a crap ton of HR's but relatively low average/hits.

mike schmidt was arguably the best third baseman of all time. he was a freak of his time for the infield.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:52 pm 
PP Quarterback

Squanto wrote:
backthatSASSup wrote:

I love you dear, but I will cut you if I have to.

That post was heaven to my eyes. :D

patkane88
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:40 pm 
Captain Clutch

I agree with all the players except for Pujols and Longoria, its a complete joke that they were included in that. Also, where is Ryan Howard, Kosuke Fukudome and Daisuke Matsuzka in that poll??? All those guys should be in there if I was voting.

Twitter @BUrbanowicz13

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:25 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i dunno. these guys play the game against these guys, so i take their word for it.