It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:18 pm 
Captain Dynasty

as im sure you heard, a rangers fan fell over the rail going for a baseball and died. its the second such incident this year. so i was thinking.. what should MLB do (if anything) regarding these incidents?

my only idea is to make railings a mandatory 48 inches high, but that could impare viewing of the game. what do you guys think?

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/176959/ ... -falls.htm

PatGreen
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:42 pm 
PP Quarterback

i think that people shouldn't be idiots

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:45 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

Tough call. People are putting themselves in bad positions trying to lean over railings and catch a $1 baseball.

I feel sorry for the people that have been hurt or killed, but at some point people need to take some responsibility for their own safety.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:45 pm 
Captain Dynasty

i dont think leaning to catch a ball is being an idiot. its instinct. the possibility of getting a ball is one of the most fun things about a baseball game. and id know, ive gotten 4 :)

the thing is most railings come up to your waist. if you can bend over the rail, then you can fall. if you cant bend over the rail, falling will be much more difficult to do, and at that point, if you fall over a 48 inch railing.. then you probably deserve it.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:49 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

If people want to risk injury by leaning too far over a safety device installed to protect them, then they get what they get.

Folks should make a decision; what's more important, that baseball, or their health and well being?

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:55 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
If people want to risk injury by leaning too far over a safety device installed to protect them, then they get what they get.

Folks should make a decision; what's more important, that baseball, or their health and well being?

but theres the concern for other people. at wrigley, balls go into the upper deck all the time. what if someone falls on someone below them?

im terrified of heights, and when i was in the upper deck of HSBC last march, i clung to the rail, because i was terrified i was gonna trip and fall over. im irrational about heights though.

Squanto
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:59 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

If you're scared of heights, don't lean over the railing.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:04 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:

well, i dont. haha. i caught my balls legit. one hoppers off the warning track by the right field foul pole at comerica. i play that corner better then magglio.

Markus
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:59 pm 
Power Forward

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
Squanto wrote:

well, i dont. haha. i caught my balls legit. one hoppers off the warning track by the right field foul pole at comerica. i play that corner better then magglio.

Ha. :)

I have four total baseballs from the stands. One from Clay Bellinger (spelling) one from Jim Thome, one from Jeter (my sister actually caught it) and one from Enrique Wilson when he played for the Bisons.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:01 pm 
Captain Dynasty

all of mine were grabbed during BP. but they count the same. one was off the bat of raffy palmerio.

daz28
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:44 am 
Star Sniper

If you die reaching for pussy does that make it more worth the while than a $1 baseball?? Bad argument.

Just my 2 cents, but I believe there should have been a more reasonable expectancy of safety provided to a fan when a player throws them a fly ball. People are inherently dumb(lol), you have to anticipate this. Low(or no) railings usually equal fail at some point.

(now for the saddest part. I'm sure Rupert Murdoch is tapping the calls about the guys toxicology report) Haha

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:11 am 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

daz28 wrote:
Just my 2 cents, but I believe there should have been a more reasonable expectancy of safety provided to a fan when a player throws them a fly ball. People are inherently dumb(lol), you have to anticipate this. Low(or no) railings usually equal fail at some point.

There's already a perfectly good railing there that millions of fans have managed to walk by and not fall over, so I think it's safe to say that the team provided a reasonable expectation of safety already.

backthatSASSup
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:05 am 
PP Quarterback

They even said that the railings were higher than what city code called for. I think it's just an unfortunate case of a guy losing his balance. I don't think he was trying to dive after the ball, but he just reached out too far.

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:28 am 
Superstar Goalie

I'm not heartless but come on. Those safety rails keep 99.9% of people safe....I think it's a good track record.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:33 pm 
Captain Dynasty

thats his son, in the red next to him. in case anyone truly felt he "deserved it"

Displaced Fan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:38 pm 
Superstar Goalie

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
thats his son, in the red next to him. in case anyone truly felt he "deserved it"

I don't think people who do dumb things deserve what happens, I just think this was an avoidable incident. The guy reached way too far out and should have been a little more aware of his surroundings. The fact that he has a kid doesn't change anything about him doing something dumb.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:25 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Displaced Fan wrote:
ironyisadeadscene wrote:

I don't think people who do dumb things deserve what happens, I just think this was an avoidable incident. The guy reached way too far out and should have been a little more aware of his surroundings. The fact that he has a kid doesn't change anything about him doing something dumb.

i dunno man. the ball was tossed to him, by hamilton. he just did what any of us would have done.

Squanto
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:47 pm 
Carlos Spicy-Wiener

If you are taking any of my comments as 'he deserved it' , that's not what I'm saying. Nobody deserves to die, especially like that.

What I'm saying is that he chose to take an unnecessary risk for a baseball. He made a mistake, and unfortunately one that he'll never get another chance to correct.

ironyisadeadscene
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:53 pm 
Captain Dynasty

Squanto wrote:
If you are taking any of my comments as 'he deserved it' , that's not what I'm saying. Nobody deserves to die, especially like that.

What I'm saying is that he chose to take an unnecessary risk for a baseball. He made a mistake, and unfortunately one that he'll never get another chance to correct.

i didnt take your comments like that. i think we all just said "what an idiot! screw him" but to see the video and watch his son stand next to him.. its really sad.

HelloMyKneeGrows
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:49 am 
Garbage Man

ironyisadeadscene wrote:
as im sure you heard, a rangers fan fell over the rail going for a baseball and died. its the second such incident this year. so i was thinking.. what should MLB do (if anything) regarding these incidents?

my only idea is to make railings a mandatory 48 inches high, but that could impare viewing of the game. what do you guys think?

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/176959/ ... -falls.htm

The same thing I think of people that lean too far over the fence and go over the falls.....don't be an idiot and you won't die. Sucks that it happened to him and in front of his kid nonetheless, but personal responsibility needs to be taken into account. People will do dumb shit no matter how hard you try to stop them from doing it.